Options

T@B 400 not charging on shore power

Hi all, I have a T@B 400 that's been in storage for a while and it's been plugged in the whole time. I pulled it out this weekend cause I'm going to be using it next weekend and the battery appears to be 100% dead. I pushed the battery monitor and nothing. 

When plugged in, the lights and everything work but when unplugged nothing works at all. I checked and the disconnect is not flipped.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Check your fuse on the battery.  I would also check your battery with a voltmeter.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    blackc2004blackc2004 Member Posts: 117
    I checked the fuses in the black box/fuse panel, is there a fuse elsehwere?
  • Options
    There should be a fuse on your positive battery terminal.
  • Options
    @blackc2004, if you have the single large battery, check if you have a 40 amp circuit breaker instead of a fuse at the battery.  I remember when the 400s first came out, they had the single battery and were fused, but then nuCamp issued 40 amp breakers as some folks had problems with the fuse blowing.  Also, are you using a surge protector?
  • Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    Our 400 has a circuit breaker to the right of the battery cutoff switch. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Here is another maybe relevant discussion.  I remember there was too much resistance to recharge a depleted battery, and the breaker kept tripping.  I believe the advice was to charge the battery with a smart charger.  Page 3 of this link explains.
     https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5878/400-is-not-operating-at-all-on-battery-power/p1
  • Options
    Wow. Thanks so much! I'll check these out tonight when I get home. I recall seeing a breaker next to the battery somewhere so I'll check it.
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    If that breaker isn't tripped, then the bad news is the battery or converter could of fried from being plugged in for a long period of time?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Good news everyone! It was just that breaker that tripped! Thanks for pointing it out!
  • Options
    Ok, so I went out to the trailer again today to check on it and the breaker had tripped again! Is there a way to fix this?! I don't understand why a 40amp breaker would be tripping?
  • Options
    Are you using a surge protector and if so which one?  
    If you aren't using a surge protector, your supply current coming from your converter may be fluctuating and surging and it is tripping the 40 amp circuit breaker on your battery.  

What is the state of charge on your battery after turning off shorepower and turning off battery cut off switch then waiting a half hour?  
  • Options
    I don't have a surge protector but I guess I could get one. 

It's plugged into a 15amp dedicated circuit at the house so honestly I don't see how that could be tripping a 40amp fuse/breaker in the RV. 

After it's off shore power it's showing at 1/3 charge.
  • Options
    The 400s have AGM batteries.  If you charge them up completely before storing, you do not need to keep your TaB plugged into shorepower.  The batteries, fully charged and isolated with the battery switch turned off, will maintain a charge a long time.  We recently picked up our TaB from storage and the battery held it’s charge at 100% for 6 months.
  • Options
    Ok. So I have had a battery tender on it for 3 days and it's reading only 4.8V on the meter. Even with the battery tender it doesn't really seem to be charging. Maybe the battery is just dead.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    I can't speak specifically for the Battery Tender, but some chargers won't operate if the battery is too low to start with.
    4.8V is pretty low. Don't know if the battery can be brought back from that, but if so, it might require a different charger.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @blackc2004, did you read the link above?  Here it is again.
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5878/400-is-not-operating-at-all-on-battery-power/p1

A known issue with the 400 single large battery when it is very depleted is that you may not be able to charge it using the converter from a low level.  You need to use a smart charger specific to your battery.  Then again, it may be dead.  What battery tender are you using?   
  • Options
    I did read it and seems these batteries are annoying... Anyone have model numbers of the 6v batteries I can replace with?
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    I hear conflicting rumors that the OEM Harris 6V AGMs nuCamp is currently using are actually rebranded US Battery AGM2224s.  If so, here's the link.  http://www.usbattery.com/products/us-agm-batteries/us-agm-2224/  They are both AGMs and the amp ratings are the same, so they should work the same even if not exact replacements.
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Our 2018 400 had the single 12v battery. we made a trip several weeks ago and everything was OK.  Came home and several days later I went to the shop to do something in it and turned the battery cut off on and the Lights were really dim.  I had it on a smart charger and the voltage read 10.7 V.  I checked around and found that was not good.  I checked with Harris and they no longer sell that battery.  They quoted me $375 each for 6 v batteries and they are taller than the single 12 v and would require additional wiring to hook up.  Now that NU Camp is using the 2 6v batteries, they modify the floor under the bed to fit the taller batteries.  I checked with interstate and they had the 6v batteries at $324 each.  Went to get a pair and found that they are also taller and would require the additional work to use them also.  The sales guy told me he could get the AGM 4d which is like the original and it would cost $515 for it.  It was the same approximate size as the original but was 200 AH .  We do not boondock and always camp where we can get shore power and felt that 200AH was quite enough for us.  The battery also weigh's 121 vs the 138 of the original.  Hooked up in the same place with no modifications.  Also,  Interstate battery has locations all over and Harris has limited locations to deal with. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Not sure what group the single 12v is, but pretty sure the 6v batteries are a group GC2 which is a very common 6v battery.

While the GC2 may not fit into the space the single 12v did due to height, I see no reason you couldn't mount in a different orientation if you are creative with mounting and wiring. An AGM can be mounted in any position since it is sealed.

Battleborn makes a drop in LiFePo4 replacement GC2. For those with the OEM dual 6v AGM batteries I am hoping to make that mod eventually with ease.
  • Options
    Does someone have information on this "mod" that needs to happen for the 6v? Or have pictures of the factory 6v install?
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    While I have not had a chance to see the new 2 battery set up in the 400, I talked with my dealer (300 miles away).  He said that since the double 6v batteries are taller and that NU Camp wanted an additional certification, they modified the sub floor with a cut out and a sealed plastic container for the batteries.  Also, they installed a vent into the side that has a tube connecting to that vent from the container.  To cut the hole in the floor once the cabin is constructed looks to me as quite a project.  You need to lift the sub floor so that you would not cut any wiring underneath.  The additional wiring is not a real problem and probably the least of the modification.  The prices for the 6v batteries I quoted above are per each so they would be quite a bit higher than the single AGM4d.  that is how I see the change.  Maybe some else has a better answer to your problem.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I checked this morning and the battery is up to 10.2v so hopefully it will keep charging a bit.