First time Shower set up in new 2018 Tab 320S

Once again I seek your wisdom. I have a 2018 Tab 320S with the Alde 3020 that is currently winterized with antifreeze.  I need to understand the detailed steps to set up shower use in the RV.  
These are the start up basics as I understand them: 
Step 1: De-winterize the RV by flushing out the system;     
Step 2: Sanitize Fresh Water Tank without getting bleach into the Alde System (not clear how to do this). Is using vinegar or something else really better?; 
Step 3: Fill Fresh Water Tank;  
Step 4: Heat the water (not clear on how to do this most likely it will be on propane); 
Step 5; Turn on the Water Pump switch left of the sink while taking the shower;
Step 6:  Don't let the Fresh Tank get below 25% to avoid drop in water pressure;
Then look for leaks throughout the RV.  What am I missing?  

An alternative is to use a backpackers shower bag hung from the shower head and not use the RV water at all.  This would go down the drain and into the Gray Tank for dumping Right???

THANKS

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Can you confirm how your valves are set?  When you flush out the plumbing, if there is antifreeze in the Alde hot water tank, you will need to make sure the valves are not in the bypass mode.  

I copied my reply from another thread question.   Basically, how to dewinterize, sanitize and use your Alde hot water shower/sink).

So, when you do flush your system, make sure that yellow flapper and your drain lines are closed.  A campground full hookup would make things easier to dispose of the antifreeze in the sewer line.  I would open the gray tank valve after your sewer tubing is fully connected.  Hook up to city water using the pressure regulator and turn on the supply spigot.  This will quickly pressurize your plumbing system.  Do NOT turn your water pump on at this point as it can damage the pump as it works against that pressure.  

Start by holding your toilet flush valve open until the pink clears.  Next open up your cold sink and shower taps (outside shower too) one at a time until they run clear.  After your cold supply lines are clear, then open your sink hot water tap.  This will fill the Alde hot water tank in case it is not completely filled with AF, so it may sputter a lot.  Keep that hot tap open until it no longer sputters (means tank is full), and then let it run until clear.  Next, open the hot shower faucets (inside and outside) one at a time until they run clear then close the tap. Next, turn off the supply spigot and disconnect from your city connection.  Use the hose to fill the fresh water tank -slowly unless you like wet feet.  With the tank full, turn on your water pump.  The pump will run briefly as it pressurizes, but the pressure from the city connection should limit this time.  Lastly, open your cold sink tap.  This will draw from your fresh tank, flushing the tank, tank outflow plumbing and the pump.  Keep the sink tap open until it starts sputtering, indicating your tank is essentially empty.  I would probably refill the fresh water tank and flush it again just to be sure - you don’t want antifreeze in your drinking and shower water😏

To sanitize with bleach, you will need to open the Alde bypass valve and close the cold and hot water valves that run to and from the Alde.  This will isolate the Alde from the bleach but still allow the solution to run through the remainder of the plumbing lines.  Mix a 1 gallon solution of water with 1/4 cup or less of bleach.  Pour that into the fresh water tank and then use your hose to fill your fresh water tank.  Make sure your pump is turned on.  To fill your plumbing lines with the sanitizing solution, open up your hot and cold water sink and shower(s) taps one at a time until you smell bleach.  Flush the toilet just to be thorough.  Let the TaB sit with the bleach water in the tank and lines for a few hours or less - you are just sanitizing, not sterilizing.  Then open up any tap and run until the fresh tank empties.  Fill your fresh tank with the hose again and then run fresh water through all your taps inside and out until no more bleach smell.  You may need to do this several times.  Now you see why a sewer connection is helpful!  

After you are satisfied that you have flushed out the bleach, go back and turn off your Alde bypass valve and open your hot and cold supply lines.  It may be a good time at this point to check your pump filter for factory plastics debris.  Make sure your pump is turned off first.  Then hook up to the city water again or fill the fresh water tank and enjoy the luxury of your TaB plumbing!

Now, to use the Alde, make sure the Alde water tank is full.  If you choose to heat on propane, slowly open your propane tank.  Then turn on the Alde and select propane.  If you don’t need cabin heat, just turn the thermostat way low.  The water is automatically heated to a default temperature.  It takes a while to heat, but once you get hot water out of the tap, you can extend the time you will have hot water by “boosting” the water selection in the middle of the display.  You will get more hot water for about 30 min. Then it will revert to the default temp.  I am not certain that the “boost” actually works when you are not heating the cabin, because the actual increase in hot water is a result of the temporary cessation of the circulating glycol.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    @jennylynn, yes, you have the basic steps correct; dewinterize, sanitize, flush/refill, heat water, enjoy shower. In addition to Sharon's detailed synopsis, there are lots of instructional resources on the forum. In particular, you should start with the owner's manuals and winterizing manuals provided here. If you have specific questions after studying up, you can always come back here and ask 'em!
    I would be cautious about hanging much weight from the shower head, as I'm not sure how solid that whole assembly is. Regardless, as I suggested in your other recent discussion, if you are going spend top coin on a nice camper, you might as well utilize all of its features!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I am not sure about running bleach through your alde.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I am sure you should not, that is why you use the bypass.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio