LP Gas detector end of life?

Sam452Sam452 Member Posts: 16
edited April 2019 in Camping & Travel
As a new owner of a use T@B I was awakened in the middle of the night inside my house by this LP detector alarm. In between trips I have our T@B in the driveway charging up. The LP gas is solidly turned off, so I cracked one of the windows open so the alarm would shut up. 
Seeing it appears to be from 2001, I suspect that I don't really have a gas leak, but that like a smoke detector that has a set amount of time before it becomes defective, but that it may be time for it to be replaced? I don't know, which is why I ask those with far more experience than I.
Is it more likely I have an LP gas leak? Or that this detector is announcing its doom? What experience do you have with these detectors in the T@B?
And if it needs to be replaced, is it a straight replacement?
thx, sam
T@B CS 2008
States visited with our TB

Comments

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Honestly, it could be either. It is probably not that expensive or difficult to replace and if replacement solves the issue, it is worth the piece of mind. If it does not solve it, you know you have a gas leak.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    I know the CO2 alarms (NOT CO) had a lifespan of 5 years. This has changed. Same with smoke alarms. Like Jenn said. Easy thing to replace and fairly cheap. Peace of mind. Meanwhile... the best people to ask about the life of CO, CO2 and smoke alarm lifespans would be the fire department.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    I have had a couple instances of my LP detector waking me up in the middle of the night.  It is a different detector than the one in the photo posted above.  I have not logged the circumstances where it has gone off, but due to how few times it has gone off over my ownership of the trailer, I'm not confident that I have an actual gas leak. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,498
    rkj__ said:
    I have had a couple instances of my LP detector waking me up in the middle of the night.  It is a different detector than the one in the photo posted above.  I have not logged the circumstances where it has gone off, but due to how few times it has gone off over my ownership of the trailer, I'm not confident that I have an actual gas leak. 
    Some detectors will chirp when the trailer battery is running low. There are also stories of "dog" farts setting them off. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Marceline said:
    rkj__ said:
    Some detectors will chirp when the trailer battery is running low. There are also stories of "dog" farts setting them off. 
    I've read those reports as well, about the battery level.  It happened to me this weekend, and one of the first things I checked was the battery level, which was 12.29V, so not critically low.  I can't comment on what gasses my two dogs may or may not have been emitting while I was asleep.  lol  Something to keep in mind though. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Marceline said:
    rkj__ said:
    I have heard about the dog farts too!

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• WilliamAWilliamA Member Posts: 154
    I uh...welll....don't have a dog......

WilliamA 
    2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
    2017 T@G XL
    Can generally be found around west-central Wisconsin.  
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Cricket farts could do it too ;)
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 922
    edited April 2019
    I just replaced mine - long overdue....
    Very good deal on plug and play replacement:

Atwood LP Gas Detector RV 12V White 36719 Replaces 36720