Our Dealer Has Stopped Selling T@Bs

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
We were sorry to hear from our cousins in Wilmington, NC, where we both bought our identical T@Bs at the same time as a "package discount" type of deal, that our dealer will no longer sell them.  Here's what we heard..

"Thought you might be interested: I had a few extra minutes while I was running errands and stopped by Wilmington RV to look at their t@bs. Turns out they have stopped selling them! Nucamp was upset with them because they were selling them below MSRP, so they decided to drop the line. The small trailers they now carry are Geo Pro by Rockwood - don't seem as well made at 1st glance. Wilmington RV will still service t@bs."

That's really unfortunate, but I hope they can still do an adequate job supporting T@B owners.  We've never been back there for any kind of service, but good to know we still have that option, since we do visit with our cousins fairly often anyway.  Our nearest dealer to us in central Virginia is in NC anyway.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    I have no inside knowledge, but I can't quite follow why nuCamp would have an issue with a dealer selling below MSRP (if such a thing even really exists). Manufacturers can set their prices to dealers, and dealers can set their prices to customers--each according to their own business plan. (Customers, of course, get the ultimate vote with their wallet!)
    2015 T@B S
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    That reason sounds like total nonsense; nearly every dealer I’ve looked at across the country sells below MSRP, even here on the west coast where these rigs sell at a premium versus the rest of the country.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    the dealer in cinici told me the same thing when they were closing out the line.  but they complained about my local dealer raising the  issue with nucamp
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Yeah, I'm not really buying it either.  It sounds more like an excuse, but it would be a poor one, because if true, it would mean they did it out of spite, which would not be a business decision.  I'm guessing they just didn't want to admit to a current T@B customer they weren't carrying it anymore because they can make more money selling a different, but more cheaply made RV. 
    Or could it have been the new parts policy?  That would make more sense to me if they didn't want to admit it was going to require more of their time to support existing customers.

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2019
    Hmmm. You really think a dealer, one that's in the regular business of selling products, servicing those products, and selling parts for those products, would drop a manufacturer who offered one more opportunity for the dealer to make money, ie: the new NuCamp parts policy (a way to make money that's perfectly consistent with their current business model)?

I miss the logic of this. It doesn't make sense.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    As much as I love T@bs, the competition may be an easier sell in some areas due to a lower price point. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    I bought my T@B at well below MSRP.  Anyone who pays MSRP in the RV world is getting ripped off.  They probably meant that they well selling below dealer invoice, which might ruffle some feathers with competing dealers, although end of year deals, or left over inventory from a previous year are often sold below invoice to move them out.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Actually, the Rockwood Geo Pro 14fk (and Flagstaff E-Pro 14fk) is a great little trailer, with some unique features.  Dry weight just over 2100lbs and it has a 26gal fresh water tank.  More headroom, seemingly a step above in quality than the plethora of 14RB wood and aluminum sided trailers out there. Hitch weight, at 277lbs is quite a bit higher than the T@B- but you might wanna' check it out.  Wish someone around me sold them.  They're thousands less than a T@B.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
    With rockwood and thor you get that incredible partical board cabinets and durability.     while it might be better quality than say winnebago.   Still not as good as nucamp.
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I don't fully believe the story. I'm being polite here. There's more to it than what was conveyed. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @BrianZ, just curious - do you know if the dealer sold a lot of TaBs?  I ask because I think the business model dictates that there is a required minimum that a dealer must purchase from an RV manufacturer.  So, if the dealer is struggling to sell what they have purchased, the dealer may elect to bail.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited April 2019
    That's interesting, @Sharon_is_SAM, but I don't know if that's the case or not.  I can ask our cousins if they know.
    EDIT:
    They said the dealer had about 6 or 7 at one point, both 320 & 400 models.  Their tech had been to factory training & had given us a thorough familiarization of all the systems when we picked ours up.  But you may be right.
    @ChanW on the surface the business it appears to be that easy.  I doubt it is that superficial.    So how much real margin is there on a tab?    even at 25% that is still only $4-7K per unit.   How many do  you need to sell a month to keep the lights on?     

I have watched my local dealers inventory for months,   Not counting factory orders,  their inventory doesn't fluctuate very much.

It is tough to make money on a very expensive niche product.
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    Cbusguy said:

It is tough to make money on a very expensive niche product.
    This!
  • mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    the "S"   in the MSRP stands for "suggested"   means the dealer can usually adjust the price up or down from there...   so  i am not sure i am buying into it.      i could be cash flow situation that comes into play here.   nucamp product are more money to buy and sell for higher price that might be out of people in the are price range.    by carrying a cheaper product and selling faster because now you are meeting people price range.   it could be a business move.
  • spkbeamspkbeam Member Posts: 15
    There is something behind the scenes we are not seeing. I've gotten a vibe from my unnamed dealer that they are little unhappy with Nucamp over the last year plus. I was there today and they had 1 tag, a few 320 Boondocks and no 400. The lowest inventory I've seen. When asked about not having any 400's the answer was they can't seem to get any. 1 was coming a few weeks and the rest of the order in July. This is the season and could use them now. AND there was something about a price issue. They sell other brands including little guy. Of course they are happy to sell little guy since they 5 or 6 on the lot and they are selling.

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Ok, anyome knows what the MSRP price is for a T@B or a T@G??

some people seams to know this, and since it is MSRP, it should not be something that can not be posted here.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited April 2019
    Some members have posted dealer order sheets that show an "MSRP" on the for the base unit and various extras, but I don't recall the exact figures.
    However, unlike with automobiles, set MSRPs are not legally required for RVs or campers. It's not clear to me if the numbers being tossed around are actually provided by nuCamp, are the same on every form, or are just made up by the dealer.
    2015 T@B S