Options

Recommendations near New Orleans ??

rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 927
We would like to explore the New Orleans area for 2-3 days sometime mid-May. 
We're interested in a few "don't miss" suggestions to visit and recommended campgrounds nearby.
Thanks
Bob

Comments

• Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    there is actually a campground right downtown just a few blocks from the French Quarter-I believe it is a little pricey about $50.00\night but much less than a hotel room and you can walk to the French Quarter if that is what you are looking to do-I believe they did a review at loloho-longlonghoneymoon on u-tube . there is another one on the westbank but I would stay at Fairview\Riverside state park or Fontainblue state park-both just north of lake ponchatrain and an easy drive across the causeway to the city to do touristy stuff-of course then you have to pay to park-a lot!! downtown,  there are convenient parking lots at Jacks Brewery and the Riverwalk about $38.00 for 3 hours-but easy walk to Jackson Square and Decatur street and all the great entertainment and restaurants-Bourbon St. just 3 blocks away. The state parks are around $30-night but do honor the Golden age pass and you get 50% off the base price
  • Options
    kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    also, causeway is a toll road too -so they get you either way
  • Options
    JonWJonW Member Posts: 37
    Spent a weekend camping in my teardrop at St. Bernard State Park a few years ago.  About a half hour south of the French Quarter.  Campsite was ok and it made a nice base camp for visiting NOLA.
    JonW - 2018 T@B 320U
    Marlborough, Mass
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,500
    We visited there pre-Katrina, but we really liked the cemetery tour, the jazz music venues, and of course - the beignets!  There is always the bayou boat tours to see some alligators.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I spent a couple years there in the early '90s, so my knowledge is pretty dated (and also pre-Katrina). Some things don't change, though.
    The above-ground cemeteries are pretty cool. Back then they were considered dangerous places to wander through on your own, but as Sharon noted tours are available. I'd also recommend Preservation Hall for a bit of jazz history. It appears they have formalized the experience a bit from my days with advance tickets and scheduled entry times, but it still looks pretty bare bones. And be sure to try a po-boy and a muffaletta for lunch!
    Can't offer much advice about camping, though--I was a city boy in 'dem days! 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    BillBill Member Posts: 38
    We were there last August (steamy hot!). The KOA is very nice, with a pool, and about a 20 minute drive to downtown. Turn left as you exit the campground, and "several" blocks down the street on the right is a small unassuming BBQ joint called Très Bon Cajun Meats  with an amazing owner and fantastic food. Try the "family dinner". They'll load you up with all the requisite Cajun food, and throw in some extras too. Eat in, or take it back to the Tab. One of the reasons I'm looking forward to going back to NOLA! Oh, and there are loads of touristy things to do too!
    Bill & Helen; 2017 T@B S Maxx, (Serenity Now!!); TV 2019 Honda Ridgeline,
    Woodstock, Ontario