Options

Any experience with Good Sam Roadside assistance?

CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
Just about to take delivery on my 320 and finishing up a few details.       

Does anyone one have experience with Good sam road side assistance?     I have road side on my vehicles through Geico,   My biggest concern is having the TV break down and having to leave the trailer along the road somewhere.     

Feedback please,   the nonsense with AAA bothers me

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods

Comments

• Options
    Tommy001Tommy001 Member Posts: 1
    AAA Plus Membership will give you 100 miles of free towing for your tow vehicle and trailer. No money out of your pocket.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    edited May 2019
    @Cbusguy, I don’t blame you for your AAA concerns.  We got AAA for our TV and Progressive Insurance covers our TaB.
    There has been some dissatisfaction with Good Sam.  I read about it on RVTravel.com.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    I just signed up for Good Sam. When I called my local AAA, thinking I could add coverage for the TAB, I found out that they don't offer any towing or service for trailers. It must vary by region, because I thought they offered RV coverage. Good Sam sounded like a great program, and even offers coverage in Canada. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    @Cbusguy, what's the nonsense with AAA to which you refer?
    DW has AAA for the automobiles. I'm vaguely aware of the AAA+, but we haven't added it. I've no familiarity with Good Sam.
    I'm not sure how I would proceed in the event that a totally disabled T/V would require abandoning the T@B. I would hope that the responding tow company could advise on how to get it moved to a better location, even if I had to pay for it in full.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    If that make a difference, I am A canadian from Quebec this is just in case it varies from country and state and province.  My car and trailer inssurance cover the trailer if car get in an accident and can no longer be towed.

we got CAA Car and RV plus (CAA is the equivalent of AAA in the US, with same free service of maps, information, etc) and it worked in Georgia last year. But I waited for them to find a company that would take charge of the T@G for 6 hours in hot summer sun on the side of the 95.  Just 20 minutes from a Nissan Dealer.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    @ScottG the differences between states, regions regarding trailer towing and coverage.     I had AAA for my motorcycle which fell under the AAA rv coverage and it was super expensive $200 plus 10 years ago.   the only time I tried to use it for my bike for a flat the wait was so long that my wife came and got me.    I borrowed a buddys bike trailer and got it home before the flat bed called me for location.     probably 5 hours.

Not much love for AAA so looking for something superior.   in searching the forum there was a couple of positive experiences listed but they were 3 or 4 years old.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    Seems like people complain about both AAA and Good Sam. Regardless, I chose Good Sam for both car and trailer as it seemed like better coverage for less money. I have not had to use it. Both car and trailer are also insured with Progressive and I have added towing for the car and have thought about adding towing for the trailer too. My hope would be that between the two companies, they are contracted with enough towing operators and both vehicles will be accommodated. 
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    @dsfdogs that is probably what I will end doing, having two and hoping for the best.   we have towing on our cars through geico.   just got our VIN number so will look at insurance options for it.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    A friend recently had an unpleasant experience with Good Sam roadside assistance. Her trailer came of the hitch and they refused to send someone to help her. Luckily a real "Good Samaritan" stopped and helped her. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I recall the price for the added AAA RV coverage being surprisingly steep--probably why we didn't take it. I didn't realize there were so many regional differences but will be sure to look at that carefully if we ever reconsider.
    I do have my own trailer for motorcycle retrieval if needed. Hmmm, maybe I should just get a back up tow vehicle...  :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @Marceline I wonder what the entire story is?   Seems very odd to me they wouldn't send someone as requested,   
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I’ve had AAA+ RV for about 7 years now. My sister has the same coverage. Her transmission went out on her RV in British Columbia 3 years ago. AAA with a wrecker large enough to tow her RV, arrived within an hour and towed her 50 miles to the nearest RV repair guy. No towing charge. 

I had a blowout on a tire on my Silver Shadow teardrop and the wrecker came prepared to pull the teardrop onto his truck bed and take it where I wanted. I did convince him to just change my tire. 

My my sister locked her keys in her car in my driveway—AAA arrived and was done in less than 30 minutes from the time we called. 

I’ve had AAA since the 80’s and I am very satisfied with them. I guess the Hoosier AAA is one of the good ones. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Cbusguy said:
    @Marceline I wonder what the entire story is?   Seems very odd to me they wouldn't send someone as requested,   
    The story is exactly as I recounted it. I know the person it happened to pretty well and have no reason to doubt her version. Apparently they will not help you get a dropped trailer back onto a hitch. 

Here's the list of what "Roadside Assistance" covers under their top plan:
    https://www.goodsamroadside.com/findaplan/platinumcomplete.cfm
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited May 2019
    AAA Plus RV in Western NY made it clear to me that they wouldn't tow our trailer if the TV needed towing. They'd leave it on the side of the road.

So we dropped AAA (after 30+ years), added roadside assistance to our auto policy, and have Progressive for the Tab. The Progressive policy covers your pet too.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    I have Good Sam. Had a radiator hose blow on my truck on a Sunday afternoon. They sent two trucks. Towed my truck to a local repair place. Towed my T@B and me to a campground. Spent the night. Monday morning my truck was fixed. The repair place picked me up from the campground, and I finished my drive home on Monday. I have been really happy with them.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I assume these roadside service calls are handled by contracted providers. Just like with RV dealers, the level of service you receive probably has a lot to do with the local company dispatched to come to your rescue.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    I assume these roadside service calls are handled by contracted providers. Just like with RV dealers, the level of service you receive probably has a lot to do with the local company dispatched to come to your rescue.
    I think there's an element of truth in that. But in my friend's case, my understanding is that Good Sam refused to dispatch any assistance. They left my friend standing at the side of the road by herself.
    If you read the fine print listing what roadside assistance covers, I guess their position is defensible. On the other hand, trailers do come off hitches, and it seems strange that this is something they've decided that's not covered. It's certainly affected my view of Good Sam. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Cbusguy said:
    @ScottG the differences between states, regions regarding trailer towing and coverage.     I had AAA for my motorcycle which fell under the AAA rv coverage and it was super expensive $200 plus 10 years ago.   the only time I tried to use it for my bike for a flat the wait was so long that my wife came and got me.    I borrowed a buddys bike trailer and got it home before the flat bed called me for location.     probably 5 hours.

Not much love for AAA so looking for something superior.   in searching the forum there was a couple of positive experiences listed but they were 3 or 4 years old.
    Defenetly different from location.  Here in canada (CAA) with you membership car, you can call them for a car-pick-up etc, motorcycle, bicycle, get back home after a party (they will get you back home with your car) house keys.  For RV, then it is like 30 more $ per uear.  Here in canada, they will usualy come pretty fast, but in the states, also call them for motorcycle, and also took a long time.

but year fees are not that bad.  Like 100$ can /year for standard vehicule.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC