Bought a 2019 T@B Boondock Edge. - Extended Warranties

RerailRerail Member Posts: 22
Hello Folks,
I hope this is the correct catagory for my question.
On Saturday, my wife and I signed for a T@B 320 S with the Boondock Edge Package. Its white with black trim and we are pretty excited to be "on the road" again.
The RV dealership sent me a series of email messages offering extended warranties bringing the coverage to 8 years.
My previous experince with a trailer was a used Airstream and no real warranty and I could have used one as we had some issues.
What say the group? Has anyone bought extended warranties and if so, is it worth the extra cost? The package I am being offered really bumps the price of the T@B up.
Thanks
Keith Stamper
Port Colborne
Ont Canada

Comments

• morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I'd first take a good look at what the warranty actually covers. Warranty companies make money.  Does it cover all the components?  the 3-way fridge and the Alde are pretty pricey.  the AC unit is cheap, and you could replace that easily by yourself if it failed. It might be useful to you if 1.  you are not going to work on the trailer yourself.  2.  you are nearby the dealer such that you can bring it over for work. 

Interesting- I just bought one, and my dealer didn't offer, or try to sell me on an extended warranty.
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Rerail , this question has been asked before. I believe the general consensus has been that extended warranties are profit making ventures for both the warranty company and the dealership. Considering the quality of construction of our t@bs, bend over backwards customer service provided by nüCamp, and invaluable assistance here through the forum, the extended warranties are generally unnecessary. But each of us has our own comfort level, so YMMV. However,  the suggestion has been made to not get the warranties and set aside the equivalent cash for future repairs. A few years in the future, you will probably find yourself with $$$ still in the bank and many happy miles behind you.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Most folks rely on nuCamp’s reputation and quality and go without the warranties.  It is a huge money maker for the dealer.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Lil_LucyLil_Lucy Member Posts: 82
    When we uncovered our 2016 320 Max S this spring, we discovered some cracks in some of the plastic components. (Top roof molding, inner panel of the exterior door, and front propane/battery tub). Michigan winters can be brutal.
    We took pictures of everything and took them to our dealer. When we bought it in 2016 (brand new) we purchased the extended warranty. Our salesman told us it was covered (bumper to bumper) for 5 years. I took that as everything would be covered. As it turns out they have a whole list of exclusions. None of my problems are covered. The dealer says it only covers mechanical and structural issues. There’s not a whole lot of mechanical things connected to these trailers and structural issues would be limited to the frame, walls and roof. So my advice would be, save your money and take your chances. I used to always buy extended warranties as a peace of mind and this is the first time I’ve tried to take advantage of it. I have now changed my way of thinking and will use that money for more useful purposes.

2016 T@b 320 Max-S (Silver/Red Trim) / TV: 2019 Ford Flex
    "Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I have owned a number of extended warranty's over my life and have never utilized one of them.

That,  and the fact that I really dislike/distrust pretty much every RV salesman I have ever shook the hand of.  For the few things I probably couldn't handle myself,  the plan is to take it directly to the factory for service,  Till they remove that service as well.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • ToulaToula Member Posts: 26
    As others have stated.... we did considerable research prior to purchasing our t@B. The dealership did a hard sell on the extended warranty but we declined, over and over. Funny,  the salesman tells you how wonderful the camper is but the dealership owner does the scare tactic of telling you how everything will break and the thousands it will cost you. We believe in the product and the company. Extended warranties obviously are a big money maker, we prefer to keep that money. 
    2019 T@B 400 -- 2017 Toyota Tundra
    South Louisiana
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    If you don't have the best dealerships anywhere close, another option are the mobile RV service folks.  Plumbing and electrical is all about the same and most RVs use Dometic, Norcold, and similar big name appliances, so once you've repaired a hundred RVs you get the hang of it.  The big storage lot where I keep ours always has a few services resealing roofs, checking tires / axles, and appliances.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    I just got the extended warranty pitch from my dealership (taking delivery this Saturday)..
    I decided not to go with it.. I'm quite comfortable with repairing anything that is not an engine / drivetrain. (part of why i went with a travel trailer instead of another motorhome after a previous motorhome ownership experience).

A big part of my purchase decision was due to the build quality of the TaB  and the reputation for quality nuCamp has (though I am a bit concerned with the recent stuff about parts etc.. but will give the benefit of the doubt that I can work through my dealership)

I've seen a lot of extended warranty variations in my day. The only one I ever really thought was great was one Ritz Camera used to do.. they would cover any damage at all.. even accidental drops.. so long as it wasn't so destroyed that you couldn't read the serial number and you stil had possession (did not cover theft or total destruction)

The only reason I trusted that was that I worked there and saw it being faithfully being honored even with some pretty serious clear abuse / seeming warranty voiding behavior.

However, for most other things I've just seen far too much fine print and rules lawyering .. Not saying my dealership isn't offering "a good one" but.. just playing the odds based on the utter garbage extend-warranty offerings I've seen for things.. yeah I'll take my chances that I can repair anything and anything that is defect in materials and workmanship I can deal through my seller and escalate direct to nuCamp if needed.
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• RerailRerail Member Posts: 22
    Hello Folks,
    Okay, thanks so much. you have all confirmed pretty much what I suspected. I have been "taken" by extended warranties before and discovered that twhen I tried to make a claim for any of a number of reasons my "extended warranty" did not cover that particular item. I read the documents that the dealer sent to me and I can see a lot of smoke and mirrors in them as to what is actually covered. I am going to pass.
    This a really great forum.
    Thanks to you all.
    Keith Stamper
    Port Colborne
    Ont Canada

• JPRolandJPRoland Member Posts: 115
    When I took delivery today I had to take the dreaded walk to the Finance Manager. Fortunately, I've been down that hallway before. I've had finance guys practically twist my arm, but I always decline the extended warranty. The thing is, you can always buy an extended warranty later down the road, but they want you to believe you have to do it right then. He even said he would hold a check. I just said it sounds good but I have to ask my wife as she's my finance manager. My wife never accompanies me on delivery day for this very reason. He said it covered EVERYTHING on the planet for five years. It was just over 3K! I will be very surprised if I rack up three grand in problems. They are just selling insurance like Best Buy does when you buy a cheap DVD player. They make a fortune on insurance because they are betting you won't need it.
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    My suggestion is to also save your money and skip it.  On a past trailer I bought the "bumper to bumper" warranty, as the salesman describe, and it was worthless.  The two major issues I had were not covered.  There seem to be more exclusions in the fine print than inclusions.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado