Options

Acrid Chemical smell from Toilet / Black tank in 2016 320S

Hello all.  We keep experiencing a strong acrid chemical smell from our toilet / black tank.  It is not a waste smell.  I have cleaned/flushed the black tank (by dumping water/flushing repeatedly) till clear water seen.  We use 1/2 scoop of Happy Camper mixed with water after each dump.  I see lots of happy folks using Happy Camper.  So I'm not sure if its that chemical or something else we keep smelling.  Its definitely coming from the toilet area.  We checked for glycol leaks etc in the other compartments, not finding any smell there best we can tell.  And assuming if it was actually an unclean black tank, it would smell of waste, not the acrid chemical smell.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.  We live with it, but would love to resolve the smell issue.
L & L
2016 t@b, t@bitha trim, 'TinyTot'
TV: Toyota Highlander, 'the Buggy'

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Do you keep your p traps in the shower and sink filled with water?  Toilet bowl filled with water.  That will keep the gases from escaping back into the TaB.   Is it possible you are smelling the gray tank if your p traps are dry?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    If checking the P traps does not solve the issue, I think I would flush the thank a few times even though the water is clear, you might have some powder or other caked somewhere.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited May 2019
    I'd consider adding a biologic to the tank.  You probably have something rotting in there that isn't getting flushed out.  I have had good success with Digest-It when my old trailer's black tank started developing a sulphur smell.  https://www.amazon.com/Unique-Digest-Holding-Tank-Treatment/dp/B07564FPHL/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1_sspa?crid=HKJN5D4HXPX8&keywords=unique+rv+digest-it+holding+tank+treatment&qid=1558531171&s=gateway&sprefix=digest-it%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-1-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1.  Don't expect immediate results.  It's not a deodorant.  It takes time for the bacteria colony to build up and start feeding.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    LeeMLeeM Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Sharon_is_Sam and jkjenn, I'll check better about the traps and water in toilet to be sure.  JEB, I'll think about your note too.  I think this gets to a point I have not been sure about.  Since my smell is chemical, almost a sour chemical smell, and not #1/#2 direct waste type smells, that could still be build up in my tank that I've missed getting cleaned?  I assume that's the implication based on your sulphur smell concept.
    L & L
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited May 2019
    LeeM said:
    Thanks Sharon_is_Sam and jkjenn, I'll check better about the traps and water in toilet to be sure.  JEB, I'll think about your note too.  I think this gets to a point I have not been sure about.  Since my smell is chemical, almost a sour chemical smell, and not #1/#2 direct waste type smells, that could still be build up in my tank that I've missed getting cleaned?  I assume that's the implication based on your sulphur smell concept.
    Yes.  Sewer gas does not necessarily smell like poop.  In my case, the sewer gas smelled like sauerkraut.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @LeeM use a full scoop of Happy Campers and between that and water in your P traps I bet your problem will go away. I used a half scoop at first and now use a full scoop. I also put a half scoop in each drain with water for the grey tank. Since it’s enzymes it’s not a bad idea. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Then there is always the “scrub the inside of your tank clean” trick! 1/4 fill your black tank with water, and the dump a bunch of ice cubes in and then go for a drive. The agitation will get all the sides & top clean...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    @LeeM, it is recommended that you fill your black tank  full before dumping.  The idea is to prevent anything from clinging to the sides.  So, if only partially full, add water before dumping.  Along those lines, if hooked up to a sewer, don’t leave the tank valves open - only open them when ready to dump.  We use Happy Camper, too, but consider adding Calgon or Borax to both tanks to keep the inside of the tank slick which prevents cling.  Google “Geo Method”.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    adding a water softening agent makes sense

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I always add about 2x the amount of wheater if what I am flushing. Insufficient liquid leads to build up.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    (I think the ice cube trick was debunked...  ;)  although it sounds like it would work! There's a video someplace online...)

We too soften the 'starter' water in the holding tank, with Arm & Hammer Washing Soda, about a quarter cup after each dump, plus about a gallon of water.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    use just a bit dishwasher detergent together in the black tank,    our poop does have lots of oil and it clings to the tank the detergent seem to help 
  • Options
    LeeMLeeM Member Posts: 7
    Thanks to all for the very helpful posts.  Tiny Tot is out getting the wheel bearings repacked before our trip to uCamp.  When I get her back, I'll certainly work on doing a better job cleaning, more Happy Camper and likely either the soap or softener.  The chemical smell is what I think was confusing me.  This has helped a lot.
    L & L
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Sounds like you've got a plan! I usually add Dawn dish soap, too. I don't think it will hurt, and it probably helps! Have fun at UCamp! those of us who can't come are grateful for pics and stories! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    ChrisKChrisK Member Posts: 272
    Agree. We get that every few months. Being in AZ its so dry and the sloshing related to driving causes the p trap to dry out. We pour some water in and it goes away.
    2014 T@b S Max AKA T@dpole
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    We scrape our dishes and wipe them with paper towel before washing in the sink, but sometimes end up with a solid white greasy substance when we drain the gray water... Have been adding lots of hot water with Dawn to cut the grease and that seems to help.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2021
    We too must have ended up with organic matter residue in "cleaned" gray tank emitting gas. Trying to conserve water with faucets on low flow must give gas under pressure the ability to push past broken water column in p-trap?
    We have been using "Elemonator" in gray tank while in use. Just ordered "Happy Campers". Would like to treat both gray and black tanks with that product. Conundrum is getting both tanks 2/3 full with water. Have never hooked up to hose directly... we only boondock. I know how to get ~20 gallons into fresh water tank using gpm with hose. But do not want to put extra wear and tear on water pump. So direct water makes most sense.
    If hose is connected to pressurize system, then faucet flow rate determines how long it takes to get gray tank 2/3 full? Same is true for toilet flushing and getting black tank 2/3 full? Any tips on how to SWAG this quantity of water using hose and not the fresh water tank?

2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    I had a similar experience during 2 month work camping last summer. Initially I was sure the smell was coming from the black tank, although it didn't smell like a sewage, but by the end of my 2 month camp stay I discovered the smell was coming from the gray tank through the shower drain. I was emptying the gray tank regularly so I couldn't understand why there was an odor. Towards the end of the camping I also noticed that the gray tank level indicator stopped working. I discovered the problem was not being able to power flush the gray tank and during the long stay, the soap scum and food particles stuck to the tank. Before the 5 hour drive home I had filled the gray tank half way with water, added little bit of chlorine and dish detergent. When I got home I emptied the gray tank and noticed the water coming out was gray and full of sediment. The level indicator works again and no more smell. I would start with the gray tank.
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    When the trailer is connected to city water, the water lines in the TaB are pressurized from the city water connection, not yiur fresh water holding tank.  Just connect to City Water connection, turn off the pump and run water from the sink and shower to get the gray tank filled to the level you want for cleaning.  Your fresh water tank and pump are not used if you use the City Water connection.  We give our water tanks a good cleaning this way at the start and end of each camping season.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Denny16 said:
    When the trailer is connected to city water, the water lines in the TaB are pressurized from the city water connection, not yiur fresh water holding tank.  Just connect to City Water connection, turn off the pump and run water from the sink and shower to get the gray tank filled to the level you want for cleaning.  Your fresh water tank and pump are not used if you use the City Water connection.  We give our water tanks a good cleaning this way at the start and end of each camping season.
    cheers
    Yes, got that. With city water I can estimate gallons per minute (gpm) coming out the sink faucet by collecting it in 32 oz. measuring cup and a stopwatch. That will get me the 18 gallons I'd like to get in there for a decent cleaning. I guess with black tank I can keep flushing toilet 'til the monitor panel shows it 2/3 full. Should I let the Happy Campers product soak for a couple of days?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    @johnfconway - for the black tank, just open the toilet flush valve and eye ball the fullness of your tank.  If you are trying to get rid of residual sediment and odor, leave it set for a couple of days.  You can also drive around some and it may help, but the enzyme itself will work.

You can tell when the gray tank is full by watching your shower pan.  I don’t find the tank monitors to be very accurate.  Not sure how the KIB compares to the SeeLevel monitors, though.

Another thing to do is add Calgon or another fabric softener to your tanks.  It will help coat the sides to prevent anything from adhering.
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited May 2021
    For the black tank, if you do not have a black tank flush inlet, you can put a garden hose in the toilet, and see the water level rise by holding the flush valve open with your foot.  You will see when it is full.  Joh, your 2020 TaB 400 has the black tank flush inlet, which will fill the black tank very quickly.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Thank you @Denny16 and @Sharon_is_SAM! I'm on it...