Options

Alde freight train FIX! $15 and 10 min install

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited June 2019
    @db_cooper, I did get it installed this afternoon, but realize I won't be able to test it until we take another trip to someplace that's high! We're only at 1500' here, so no way to know!

Might have to schedule a drive up Mount Washington... (They probably don't allow trailers!)

The Alde runs ok here at this altitude, however. Wish I could see the flame to see how healthy it is.

I realized that the "2mm" dimension that I went with for the hole, was only based on hearsay. I don't think we have an actual measurement of the opening, that someone referred to in the European adapter kit. I think it was just their guess.

Here's the way I restricted the fitting. Just a teeny tiny washer laying around from electronics stuff, and glued it onto a larger washer that fit properly into the fitting, and glued the two of them into the fitting, all using silicone adhesive.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Now that I think about it though, I wonder if this reduced volume, lean mixture is ok to use on the Alde at lower altitudes.

Has anyone had any direct dealing with Alde technicians? I wonder if I could get an answer from them.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    I actually ordered the actual kit from that is meant for this.     i asked the same question-   any ill effect at sea level? and they said no.     i also came across   a post at the airstream forum-  they have the same alde system,    there was an email from an Alde rep recommending  the Nucamp solution 
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    My 2019 T@B 320S Boondock Edge appears to have that mode .. I stumbled on it when I was testing the water heater to make sure all was working (Had never needed/tried the hot water yet and wanted to just ensure I had it working right for an upcoming event later this summer where I absolutely will need it.
    ~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    We had nuCamp install their fix.  No problem at high or low elevations.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    The 3020 high-altitude feature works well. We are at 9600 feet today and spent the night in Breckenridge. The high altitude setting is about 2 screens in after pressing “the gear” icon.  Without it the Alde 3020 does rumble. 

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Glad the factory way works, but...

I'm curious if this 'alternative' way, by permanently 'leaning out' the air/ fuel mix with a smaller orifice, will cause any problems at sea level...

Any combustion gurus here? 😁

What does a boiler flame that's a bit lean do to a boiler?

Just inefficient?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    @ChanW, I thought the factory retrofit on the 3010s is permanent.  There is no choice of going back and forth for sea level or high elevation.  Am I missing something here?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    edited June 2019
    @ChanW, I thought the factory retrofit on the 3010s is permanent.  There is no choice of going back and forth for sea level or high elevation.  Am I missing something here?

it is permanent,    what we worry about is any ill effect to the Alde system when you are reducing the supply of fuel to it. 

at higher altitude there is less oxygen to burn.  therefore you reduce the amount of fuel to compensate the reduced amount of oxygen.   therefore this fix works well at high altitude. 

but what happened when continue to use this lean mix at lower altitude.   now you have less fuel to burn.   

our vehicle does this with sensor as well,  constantly adjusting the fuel mix to the cylinder.    

Alde in Europe has done a different approach,  they sell a level that you can open and close.  at high altitude you reduce the fuel amount and at low you open it back up.    
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @Sharon_is_SAM, I'm only concerned that the factory approach is a reduction in pressure, whereas this orifice method is a reduction in volume.

I don't know how much difference that makes (if any), and whether or not the factory method actually reduces the gas mixture to the same level as this method.

The only thing I have to compare to is the European 'switch' method, but in that case, Alde has the user switch it back to the larger orifice when at lower elevations.

I guess a query directly to Alde, about operation of their 'switch' might be the best way to find out. 

Do we all have a contact for Alde technicians available?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Spencer at Alde is 903-915-5694.

Could just one of you decide to call him as it is his cell phone? I’m on the road heading for Alaska and I really don’t have time to make the call.  Thanks
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Thanks @Verna. Have a great trip!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    TabsterTabster Member Posts: 118
    I'm camping at sea level as we speak. Been here for 2 days. Not a bit of trouble with the alde fix
    2015 CS. Ford f150 v8. Southern california
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    @ChanW,

Haven't done our mod yet,  but it's time...

So we were at 5400 ft. last weekend and had the rumble occasionally, not bad, but I'd like to see it gone.

So I'm about to install it,  I glued the nut and washer like Tabster.  Will test here at sea level first, before taking to the mountains.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    Update on the Alde restriction fix.  So far it appears to be working great.  It runs much more quietly, while still heating the water tank super fast.  Have run it only at 2200 ft. and sea level, but it works fine at these altitudes, so I expect it will perform great at higher elevation.  It was so quiet at 2200 ft,  that I had to check the outside port (on propane) to make sure it was running.  Last time we camped in the same spot, I know I could hear it.

• Options
    Saw another post on today on the Alde Freight train, and thought I'd update my review of this fix I did last year.  We used the Alde quite a bit last winter at ski areas, and it was perfectly quiet, usually camped around 4-5000 ft.  

So far I've had to replace the thermal fuse on the circuit board,  fix this rumble, and have done the partial glycol drain technique twice.  While I wish I hadn't had these problems,  I still think this is the best heating system for campers.  It's so quiet, doesn't use much battery, and by heating the stuff, not just the air,  it stays warm when you are running in and out the door.  

• Options
    Cool @db_cooper, thanks for the reassuring update.

We were at higher elevations - over 5000 ft - last March, and I'd completely forgotten that I'd done the conversion, so neglected to look for any differences...

I suppose that 'not noticing' counts for the Alde being nice and quiet, anyway!

I'd still like to know what the combustion chamber looks like after it runs 'lean' at lower elevations... but no, I won't be opening the Alde up for my curiosity.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya