Options

ZAMP/GOAL MAINTAINNER

13»

Comments

• Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    Thank you for sharing your thinking. I think I need to know more about maintaining it. I was planning to turn the battery off and leave the solar trickler on...if that will work. When I'm not using it. This has gotten complicated!

2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    ELK said:
    Thank you for sharing your thinking. I think I need to know more about maintaining it. I was planning to turn the battery off and leave the solar trickler on...if that will work. When I'm not using it. This has gotten complicated!

My problem with maintaining it is opening it up monthly to check/add water to the cells, and removing it from the tub for winter if you live where freezing is possible. Most batteries are too heavy for me to lift, and the tub is awkward enough to work around when I’m clipping the leads to the solar panel on there. I don’t want to be prying open a battery full of acid at any time, but most definitely not while holding the tub lid open and reaching over the sides.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    That sounds kind of awful! Looking on line, I can;t seem to find the battery I want, and where to go where they'll switch it out for me. And I need to do it today!  Do you think an SLA , but not AGM battery is a good choice?  Argh! Complications arise!
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,513
    SLA?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    sealed lead.  i think i found a couple of places to call that carry trojan and full river.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    ELK said:
    sealed lead.  i think i found a couple of places to call that carry trojan and full river.

No opinion on SLA as I have no experience with them. I have a group 27 size Fullriver DC105-12 AGM installed by the dealer on my Tab; reviews I’ve found on that brand are pretty good, but with only two months’ usage, I can’t really personally say if it’s a solid choice or not. Experience with it so far has been positive.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    OK...I found a place that can put one in for me. Yay!  The only real warnings I've read have to do with charging. Hopefully my GZ trickler will work. Do you charge by plugging into the house?
  • Options
    I use a Battery Tender plugged in to 110.
  • Options
    ELK said:
    OK...I found a place that can put one in for me. Yay!  The only real warnings I've read have to do with charging. Hopefully my GZ trickler will work. Do you charge by plugging into the house?
    Still kinda trying to figure that part out in terms of balancing between being able to just go hang out in the trailer with lights, etc. on anytime I want to versus what’s best for the battery. I’ve previously left it plugged into the house most of the time, but I’ve read that it’s better for both battery and converter to not do that. Currently topping off periodically with a NOCO Genius smart charger and using the battery disconnect switch in between charges so the parasitic loads don’t drain the battery. I wish the battery disconnect was inside rather than in the tub, as that would be more convenient for me.

2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I need to have my switch installed...maybe the Battery guys will do it.  Thanks for all your help!
  • Options
    By the way...I talked to the GZ people who said to just bypass the ZAMP plug altogether...if it has a charge sensor (ZAMP) the GZ won't work.
  • Options
    @VictoriaP, your AGM can go a long time with little to no discharge if fully charged and the battery switch off. Ours was stored for 6 months and was at 99%. No need to keep it plugged in. Why not plug in while you are hanging out in the trailer.
  • Options
    @VictoriaP, your AGM can go a long time with little to no discharge if fully charged and the battery switch off. Ours was stored for 6 months and was at 99%. No need to keep it plugged in. Why not plug in while you are hanging out in the trailer.
    Pure laziness on my part, I suppose. I like just walking in and turning things on and off without having to do anything beforehand. 😁 Yes, part of the advantage to AGM is the very low discharge rate in storage, and I know it’s better for the battery not to leave it plugged in full time unless a smart charger is involved, which is why I unplugged a few weeks back. My best bet is probably as you said, charge up then disconnect the battery, leave the 30 amp plugged in at the trailer but disconnected from the wall unless in use. The outlet is right next to the carport door, so it would be easy enough to plug in or disconnect as I go by.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,684
    A battery will last for a long time without self discharging.  Just like that VCR remote battery stuck away in your house probably still works! A battery FAQ for future reference.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    After all this, the guy installed an Optima 34/78 yellow top after I asked for 100 amp hour AGM.He said, oh yeah at least 100 amp hours... I got home and looked it up and it is  55AH. I'm disappointed.... but I'm sure I'll be fine until it's time for a new one.....
  • Options
    Maybe my GZ will keep it topped off?? And how do you charge these???

• Options
    edited July 2019
    ELK said:
    After all this, the guy installed an Optima 34/78 yellow top after I asked for 100 amp hour AGM.He said, oh yeah at least 100 amp hours... I got home and looked it up and it is  55AH. I'm disappointed.... but I'm sure I'll be fine until it's time for a new one.....
    I would call tomorrow before you leave and tell them that when you return from your trip, you will be coming in for an exchange for a battery that meets the requirements you specified. A 55ah battery means you have about 27AH available to use. If you have to use the Alde or fan, that will be gone rather quickly, within a day and a half of average use. Your GZ is a 10 watt, correct? If so, not a chance that will keep up with usage, it’s meant to trickle charge while the battery is in storage.

(This is not a slam against the Optima, which I actually have for my car. There’s a few people here who use blue tops in dual battery setups. But one is not nearly enough by itself to run a Tab, they are overpriced for their capacity as compared to other AGMs, and it does not meet the specifications you gave the seller.)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    He  also told me  that a 27 won't fit..so I have a 24. I'm ok with less weight up front. 
  • Options
    I remain mystified about charging. My understanding was that the battery would charge when the trailer was hooked up to shore power. This seems somehow not the case?

• Options
    Why do you think the battery is not charging?  
  • Options
    Now I have a new battery...and I'll be using it to dry camp over the next day and a half....will it charge as I drive back home?

• Options
    Only if you have a charge wire on your TV connected to the 7 pin.  Did you recharge your previous battery via your 7 pin?
  • Options
    yes..I assume so.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Well...I'm not going anywhere. My car won't start again....had to jump it yesterday...not sure what towing the trailer would do because I don;t know if the car batt is bad ir it's something else.
    ALl this hurry was to get ready to go camping today !!!!

Removed inappropriate language — Verna, T@B Admin
  • Options
    @ELK Ugh, sorry to hear that. If you ever have to jump a car battery, it’s best to then put it on a charger overnight once you’re parked again. That’s actually how I ended up buying a Noco charger, had a Subaru battery that was on its last legs, and learned that an alternator can take hours of driving to charge a battery completely from dead. Just driving around town really isn’t the most effective way to charge a car battery.
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    I have a Noco jump starter...but think I'll get a charger also for the AGM battery.   Was headed out to the coast range. Maybe Volvo can fix it tomorrow and I can salvage the weekend!! Ever the optimist.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I currently have the Noco g3500, but the g7200 is better for these big batteries, plus it will work on your Volvo. For the Subaru, I bought the attachment that charges through the OBD II port under the dash. That way I don’t have to pop the hood. (Subaru won’t accept a charge through the 12v socket or I would have done that.) For the trailer, I just use the included alligator clips. 

Fingers crossed that Volvo can help quickly!
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW