Options

ZAMP/GOAL MAINTAINNER

HI all.  I have found a few threads on using battery maintainners, and even one about Goal Zero in the easy ZAMP plug... MY GZ plugs into the receptacle on the propane cover...but I am beginning to suspect that there may a step I missed...because there is no maintaining happening.
I confess to be somewhat confounded (and frightened)  about electricity...
2015 T@B Max S.  TV: 2015.5 Volvo XC70. 

Comments

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited May 2019
    Zamp,  big sigh

In Zamp's greedy money grab they made sure "the zamp connector" wont work with anything else for the less techinically inclined.   In a nutshell they flip the positive and negative on their zamp connector  so it won't work off the shelf with anything else.....the fix can be as easy or complicated as you like.

Personally I would remove it completely and do something else...I really dislike zamp.

The second option is to open up the tub, cut the wires on the zamp connector and reverse them to the more standard polarity.

you could buy or make an adaptor from your goal zero to your zamp connector.   
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ELKELK Member Posts: 213
    Using the alligator clips (I guess to change the polarity??) was suggested...I just need to have more info!

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    if it is a 320 and the battery is right there,   absolutely connect right to it,  just match up red and black,   although some of the 320 have a green fuse holder on the red or plus side of the battery
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    It is a MAXs and the battery is right there under the cover....  (thanks)   and there is a battery fuse right there.

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    Just use the alligator clips just like you would jump start a battery.  As CBS said, just connect the clips:  Red to the Positive (the one with the + symbol) and the black to the Negative ( the - symbol).  Easy peasy.

The Zamp is really very simple. Easy for me to say, since it took me a year to get it straight in my head!   I was an electric novice it seemed like quantum mechanics. 

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    Or you could simply reverse the Zamp port wires at the battery, effectively reversing the polarity, and continue using the port like normal.  The Zamp port is just a standard SAE port wired in reverse.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @pthomas745, so now that you've "touched" on some quantum mechanics, shall we begin a more advanced discussion regarding string theory?
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I am confused. I can attach the GZ through the ZAMP wire if I use the alligator clips --like for a jumpstart--but put the red on black and black on red??

ANd what do I do with my battery fuse (green)?

Thank you...I will attempt said QM...does anyone have photos?
    signed
    Electrically challenged and primarily a visual learner....
    I haven't even been able to attache my battery kill switch without trembling.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    @ELK your alligator clips will go straight to the battery.  The Zamp port isn't needed with the alligator clip method.  There is no need to do anything with your battery fuse.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,428
    edited June 2019
    @ELK...
    I think the suggestion was to use the alligator clips directly on the battery terminals and skip the Zamp connector all together. This, of course, is a bit of a pain as it requires removing the lid of the battery box every time you want to use your GZ device.
    If you want to use your Zamp port, you do have to pay attention to the polarity of the plug, as others have described. I don't know how the SAE connector on your GZ is wired, but it sounds like you may need to reverse the Zamp leads, or use an adapter. There are several available on Amazon--here's one example:

Lastly, you do NOT need to to worry about the fuse on the battery. The fuse is on the positive line that brings battery power into the trailer. DO NOT REVERSE THESE LEADS.
    Unless somebody has modified them, the leads from the Zamp connector should be a separate pair of wires, neither of which are fused. Here's a photo of the battery connections in my 2015 with the two sets of wires clearly visible. The set without the fuse on the positive side leads to the Zamp connector on the side of the tub:

2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG , that adapter picture in your post is incorrect, it seems to me.  That looks like just an extender.  An adapter for the Zamp would have to have the + (metal) lead become the - lead into the port, and the - (plastic encased) plug become the + lead into the port.
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    @pthomas745, whatever you plug that adapter into, it's going to swap the polarity of the male and female sides of the SAE connector (regardless of which side is which). In that regard I can't see why it would not work. If it helps, just ignore the little red symbols on the photo.
    Also--and I think this is very important--you are not changing a positive lead into a negative lead, or vice versa. All you are doing is reversing which side of the SAE connector carries which leg of the circuit. In all cases positive must always attach to positive, and negative must always attach to negative. As I repeatedly preach, each leg should be confirmed visually or with a continuity tester before hooking anything up!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Thanks, Scott, that photo confused me. 
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    Good point. I edited the stock photo to remove the red + and - symbols. It doesn't really matter which side is positive and which is negative, only that you are swapping the polarity of the male and female ends of whatever connector you are using the adapter with.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Ok, I just went out to double-check this. FWIW, the Zamp port on the side of the tub is wired such that the MALE side of the SAE receptacle is connected to the POSITIVE side of the battery. Therefore whatever you plug into that port should have the positive lead connected to the FEMALE side of the SAE plug. I've re-done the photo to show how the adapter allows you to connect a none Zamp device with different polarity to the Zamp port. As previously stated, notice that the adapter is not actually "reversing" the polarity, but only swapping which pin carries which leg.

Again, this assumes that nothing has been altered from the original factory configuration. I still advise you don't take my word for it (or anyone else's) but confirm for yourself on your own trailer!
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I don't think it will be a pain, as I would leave the maintainer on unless I am traveling....I am happy to know it CAN work....!!!  Thank you for your info.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    OK I'm starting to understand.   I can get an SAE adapter, or switch the ZAMP wires at the battery.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    I think I understand...this is probably the easiest and most efficient hack...

Or you could simply reverse the Zamp port wires at the battery, effectively reversing the polarity, and continue using the port like normal.  The Zamp port is just a standard SAE port wired in reverse.
    Like this?

• Options
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    Agreed, that adapter does essentially the same thing as the one I showed, but also incorporates a short extension between the two sides of the plug. There are several varieties.
    If you do opt to swap the Zamp wires at the battery, be aware that the ring terminals may be different sizes. The smaller opening on the negative wire may not fit on the larger positive terminal. Depending on your battery and what terminals were originally installed, you may need to crimp on different rings.
    Also, if you do this, be sure to remove any Zamp stickers. You might even consider marking the outlet to eliminate any further confusion about which pin is positive and which is negative.
    2015 T@B S

• Options

Just bought this one....assume I just have to connect it between GZ connector and ZAMP port in Tub...Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Correct.   Let us know how it works for you!
    2017 Outback
  • Options
    Got the SAE adapter. Have had the T@B plugged into A C for 24 hours. Going to turn off the house electric, clean the face of the maintainer and plug it in...and see what happens!
  • Options
    I have one of the battery meters (inside in the cigarette lighter hole) and I would think something might register if my maintainner was maintainning. But it registers nothing. ALso...my battery is dead. I can't turn anything on. So.....that mean it didn't work?
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    If you have a battery switch, is it on?  When you hooked up to the battery maintainer at the start, what did your meter read?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I don;t have a switch. I take the fuse out for winter. I didn't think to take a reading at first.... Right now I'm home and plugged into the house so I could vacuum and clean the trailer.  :|

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    How old is your battery and when was the last time you checked it using the meter (off ac)?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I checked it before I plugged into the house.  Nothing on the meter and I tried to turn a light on and nothing. It is as old as the trailer. 2015.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I thought maybe I needed to charge it? I was living in it for a week last week...hooked up to water and electric. Got home and just turned everything off. Left the fuse in.
    I figured since I put the inverter  on the cord that my GZ maintainner would work.
  • Options
    I understand that some chargers will not charge a battery that is below a certain voltage. I don't know if that applies to solar chargers as well, but it seems likely.
    Do you have a multimeter or some other device that will allow you to check voltage right at the battery terminals? That is a good place to start as it eliminates problems resulting from disconnected wiring.
    Let me know if you can check the battery directly and we'll go from there. Even if it is shot, you've done pretty well to get that many years out of the original. I managed to kill the one that came with my 2015 in one season...  :-)
    2015 T@B S