Roof vent cover

Newbie owner of a 2008 t@b. I see that lots of folks install roof vent covers. Scratching my head over how a flat bottomed cover (which they all seem to be) works on the extreme curve on a teardrop trailer. Also, how to tackle the installation without putting weight on the roof?

Comments

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited June 2019
    Use the search icon & you shall find answers.  The curve is not that great, @Mellowyellow, and the cover does not need to be/is not sealed to the roof but just above & close to the roof, fastened to the side of the existing vent frame.  It works more like an umbrella, but with sides that hold it up.
    I used an extension ladder leaned over the side/corner with lots of padding under it to protect the trim, then layed on the ladder.  Also had plywood & padding on the ladder to lay on.  This gave me enough reach to work on one side at a time.  I also used a 6-ft stepladder next to the side of the trailer to climb up onto the extension ladder.  I did have to be careful not to climb out too far over the roof, and kept enough ladder extended on the ground to weight down that side of the teeter-totter.  Or you could use some tent pegs to stake it into the ground.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    edited June 2019
    I can confirm that when my dealership added a cover to my vent they did what @BrianZ suggested.. they attached it to the existing vent housing .. it seems to be attached with some fairly easy to remove pins should I need to remove for maintenance etc...

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited January 2020
    @DigitalSorceress, what make/model after-market vent cover did your dealer install on your camper?  Do you have a photo of it on your roof that you can post?  I am interested in how yours looks and if you like it.  It may be of assistance to @Mellowyellow as well.

I was previously going to install the Camco Aero-Flo on my 2019 320S Boondock Lite, but it is not compatible with the plastic attachment brackets on the newer stock Dometic vent lid (see this thread:  https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8414/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-plastic-brackets-on-the-outer-edge-of-the-rooftop-vent-base#latest .)

I can easily install the Dometic Fan-Tastic Ultra Breeze cover, which uses those plastic attachment tabs, but I am hesitant since it has a higher profile.  [UPDATE:  I did purchase the Ultra Breeze U1400 cover and am very happy with it.]

Thanks!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

@Bayliss  I'm not 100% sure this is the exact model but this looks right

As you can see, there are 4 quick release pins holding it on ... it clips over the original cover

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Yes, @DigitalSorceress, that does appear to be the Dometic Ultra Breeze.  Thank you very much for posting the photo.  Very helpful to see it installed on a T@B.  I do like that it has the quick-release pins and that Dometic included the mounting tabs on the vent base.  Makes it very easy to install.  I am just not sure if I like it sticking up high, but maybe it is not that bad.  How do you feel it looks on your camper?  (I'd appreciate any input on this from other T@B owners who have this same cover.)

By the way, I can't tell if you have it or not, but you can separately purchase a bug screen that sits inside the large plastic grate.  The rate keeps out birds, etc., but the finer mesh bug screen will keep out small insects and most other debris.

https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-U1550BL-Ultra-Breeze-Screen/dp/B009CYJQC8/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_3/132-4692977-5158240?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009CYJQC8&pd_rd_r=0f12f785-8c89-11e9-9752-2bd817123352&pd_rd_w=MZ7cX&pd_rd_wg=oBJ0q&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=3B7MQ7N4RPVYX8SPPQRX&psc=1&refRID=3B7MQ7N4RPVYX8SPPQRX
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• rajamarrajamar Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2019
    Newbie owner of a 2008 t@b. I see that lots of folks install roof vent covers. Scratching my head over how a flat bottomed cover (which they all seem to be) works on the extreme curve on a teardrop trailer. Also, how to tackle the installation without putting weight on the roof?
    I used a 6' step ladder working from the sides and reaching in - harder than @BrianZ 's method of using a ladder across the roof to lay on, but doable. The link below has pictures, details of my install of an aero-flo vent cover and different problems for you to think about before you are on top of a ladder, straining to reach something and wishing it wasn't so hot in the sun:
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/8414/what-is-the-purpose-of-the-plastic-brackets-on-the-outer-edge-of-the-rooftop-vent-base

As to appearance - it looks a bit bulky at first, but we've gotten used to it:

2016 T@B S - TV 2004 Toyota Sienna
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I installed the fantastic fan variant cover. Reviews said it would allow the vent to open fully vs “competitors.”  Im a little guy(160 lbs) and with the help of a ladder and spreading my weight, I successfully completed the task without collapsing the roof! Lol. This mount required drilling into the frame. It was easy, and sealed it with self leveling rv chalk.

TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    @Bayliss I barely notice it

pics aren't the best as I was more taking a pic to show the "side tent" but as oyu can see, it kind of ends up blending into the background (why I went with smoke color)
    ~Tananda

• db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    Our used camper came with the fantastic cover that lets you open it 90 degrees.  I too didn't like how high it was, and replaced with the aero flo. It only lets you open about 40 degrees, but that's ok with us.  If it's hot the windows and fan still work the same.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    This is my third Aeroflo cover and have never had any issues with them.  They are easy to install and you can take them apart if you want, but never have needed to do so as the vent screen comes out.  I never have liked the looks of the larger, boxy style roof vent covers and chose this cover because of it.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    This is my third Aeroflo cover and have never had any issues with them.  They are easy to install and you can take them apart if you want, but never have needed to do so as the vent screen comes out.  I never have liked the looks of the larger, boxy style roof vent covers and chose this cover because of it.  

Did you have to cut off the four plastic tabs on the fan shroud that are designed for installation of the Ultra Breeze hood in order to mount this?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • ronin718ronin718 Member Posts: 92
    I can't speak to the installation aspect, but here is our former T@B 320 with the MaxxAir cover.  Yes, it looks a little bulky up there, but I guarantee you will be very grateful for it.  We did our initial shakedown trip without it, and it was really annoying to have to wake up in the middle of the night to close the cover because of rain dripping in.  Being able to leave it open at night or when you're away from camp, allowing air to circulate, is an absolute Godsend.

John & Lori in Northern VA
    Former owner of 2015 T@B CS Max "Uteki" aka "H@wk T@B"
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-Road "Zame"