Options

Trojan 6 volt addition and charging

I want to do the 6 volt setup but was wondering if you have to change or add anything like additional charger or maintainer or will the T@b handle it. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    The TaB converter will charge the 6 V batteries just fine.  Nothing to add, just wire them in series.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DigitalSorceressDigitalSorceress Member Posts: 213
    Not to be pedantic (but about to be).. what Sharon_is_SAM said, but just to add .. wire two of them in series as that gives you effectively one 12v battery. I assume you know this but I will just feel better with it said.

Make sure to use properly gauged wire and try if possible to get two exactly matching 6v batteries.. same size same capacity and preferably same batch/age

Also, measure their voltage individually first.. If they are not within say 0.5 v of each other.. you may want to connect them in parallel first (not into the RV just connect positive to positive, negative to negative and let them equalize for an hour or two first..)

Once you've connected them in series, you can treat the two as one big 12v battery and "plumb them in" to your existing wiring as such.

~Tananda

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Edge  named "Binky" | TV: 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 with full tow package and a Leer Cap for lots of storage

I'm New to nuCamp and TearDrops but have owned a Class A in the past

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    I beg to differ.  I have two 6V batteries and the WFCO converter has trouble charging to full capacity.  The absorption stage voltage is a bit too low.  That being said... it will charge, eventually, but it will take a long time.  I would recommend an external charger like the Noco Genius or the Pro-Logix PL2320.

When I first got my two 6V batteries I had them charging via the WFCO for a week, and they would not charge past 12.5V.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    @ColoradoJon, is that unique to all 6 V batteries or is it an issue with AGM?  I use an external charger for our AGM for that reason.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    @ColoradoJon, is that unique to all 6 V batteries or is it an issue with AGM?  I use an external charger for our AGM for that reason.
    My batteries are flooded lead acid batteries, so I believe the issue is with the large Ah capacity.  My two 6V batteries provide 230 Ah, which is a lot compared to the standard marine 12V with 50-70 Ah.  This is just my experience with them and the on-board WFCO converter/charger, though, so your mileage may vary!  I have not done any specific controlled scientific testing on the matter :)
  • Options
    51chevy51chevy Member Posts: 31
    Thanks for the info, so would I hook up the external charger while also plugged in at camp. Both would be charging wouldn’t they?
  • Options
    I know my charger specifies to not run any loads while charging - not sure about charging via the converter simultaneously.  You could choose to turn off your battery switch and charge your battery with the smart charger and still be connected to 110 v at the same time.  Then no worries about whether or not it is acceptable to dual charge.
  • Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    edited July 2019
    We keep our 2 6v charged at home with the 1.25 amp battery tender trickle charger, through the zamp port (with the reverse adapter), and it works fine.  

I bought a CTek 25 amp charger, and rarely use it.  By the time we drive home from camp the batteries are almost charged, and the tender does the rest.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    51chevy said:
    Thanks for the info, so would I hook up the external charger while also plugged in at camp. Both would be charging wouldn’t they?
    I would just use the onboard converter while set up at camp.  You will get some charging, especially in the bulk stage.

I boondock primarily so my charging is done via solar and not with the onboard converter.  When at home I plug in the cord but turn off the battery switch like @Sharon_is_SAM mentioned, then put the batteries on my external charger.