Where to Buy Propane?

Pekoe1111Pekoe1111 Member Posts: 37
Just bought our 2014 320S and the tank is empty.  It looks like a real pain to get out of the front container next to the battery.  Hardware store will fill tanks in a little building so that’s not helpful.  Do I need to go to an RV dealer or campground?

thanks

Comments

• MiquelCamoMiquelCamo Member Posts: 91
    edited July 2019
    If yours is like mine it's not difficult. Detach the hose, loosen the strap, close the lid slightly when you start to lift out to clear the back and the lid will open fully as you go. Reverse the process to put back. Give it a try. You can exchange the tank at many retailers for a full one or take it to U-Haul or a campground to have it filled. 
    Mike and Lisa Campbell
    Springfield, MO
    2016 T@B Max S - Sold March 2020

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Lots of gas stations sell/fill them to. You’ll be surprised how many places there are if you live in a town of any size, you’ve just never noticed because you’ve never needed propane maybe. Farm businesses too.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    I've had my tank filled in several states and it has always been mandatory to refill the tank.  I believe it is a safety requirement.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    Exchange at Walmart
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    Many Uhaul stores sell propane, and the young-uns working there usually see how old we are, yank the tank out of the tub (with just a couple fingers to show off), and refill them for us. 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Southern States or any other farm supply places usually fill.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    Let me restate that.  They have to remove the tank from the trailer to re-fill it for safety reasons.

• VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Let me restate that.  They have to remove the tank from the trailer to re-fill it for safety reasons.
    ^^^ This. 

It’s not difficult to remove at all, especially when empty. Loading it back in was the hard part for me, the weight is right at the max I can handle due to mobility issues, and lifting/carrying a full tank is awkward. But I managed it, which means for most able bodied folks, it’s a non issue.

As far as locating a nearby refill station, Google is always helpful. So are many camping apps, such as Allstays.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Many places - Lowes , Home Depot have nice young lads with will lift it back in for you after an exchange if you have the trailer with you.  And exchanging bottles at these places will ensure you always have certified bottles.  There is a date certification on these.   I get mine refilled at my local Ace Hardware. 
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I wont exchange tanks until they refuse to fill mine because of age.    The exchange tanks are not filled completely and they are expensive compared to a refill.     

One of the reasons I carry two tanks.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    Your existing tank can be re-certified in most cases--unless it is really ancient, has been damaged, or is significantly rusted.  The re-certification cost is only a few dollars depending on your location.  Prices can vary widely even within one town.
    Cbusguy said:
    I wont exchange tanks until they refuse to fill mine because of age.    The exchange tanks are not filled completely and they are expensive compared to a refill.     

One of the reasons I carry two tanks.

Agreed, When mine are refilled at Ace, they put 28lbs in them at a cost less than the prefilled ones. 

Odessa, Fl.  

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    Many Costco stores sell propane.  Although I have not yet purchased one, they also sell empty tanks with a fill level gauge attached to the nozzle. 
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    @GatorEgg
    How do they get 28 lbs in a 20 lb tank?  Or are you using 30 lb tanks?
    edited July 2019
    @falcon1970 guessing the place he goes to get his tanks filled doesn't have a digital scale and that is probably what the tank and propane weigh together

@Bayliss not exactly sure how a pressure gauge that measures gas pressure on the outlet will do more than let you know your tank is empty as propane is at a fairly consistent pressure till it is empty.
  • wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    Maybe you get shorted buying the prefilled tanks with an exchange.  But the convenience of walking into my grocery store and getting an exchange for $15.95 seems nice compared to having to go someplace and waiting to have it filled.  What's it usually cost to have one filled?
    2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited July 2019
    Cbusguy said:

@Bayliss not exactly sure how a pressure gauge that measures gas pressure on the outlet will do more than let you know your tank is empty as propane is at a fairly consistent pressure till it is empty.
    Cylinder Lp 20 Lb Opd With Gauge

I agree that the pressure gauges are of marginal value.
    I have seen several outlets selling 20# tanks with an actual level gauge as shown above.

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @Cbusguy, I have no specific response to your point, but I believe that the pressure gauge on the Costco tanks are designed similar to those referenced in the post by @rfuss928.  There are also good (but pricey) devices available for checking the true level (such as the Truma "LevelCheck":

https://www.amazon.com/LevelCheck-Propane-Checker-Camping-Outdoor/dp/B07B5TSRJT/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3rXHmbvJ4wIVvSCtBh1a_QJdEAAYASAAEgLNs_D_BwE&hvadid=174218924295&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1013442&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=4460151218795111858&hvtargid=aud-649564993678%3Akwd-38962569361&hydadcr=28666_9845943&keywords=truma+level+check&qid=1563830672&s=gateway&sr=8-1

I have never used a gauge, because I have a pretty good idea how long I can go without refilling my tank.  If in doubt, or I am heading out from my campsite to do some shopping, etc., I lift the tank with my hand to get an idea (by weight) how low it is getting.  If low, I re-fill it before it gets to empty.  I also carry a second tank if I am going to be boondocking/dry camping for an extended period.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

$10 luggage scale works best for me to find out how much is left
    edited July 2019
    @GatorEgg
    How do they get 28 lbs in a 20 lb tank?  Or are you using 30 lb tanks?

Because the tanks are normally filled with 20lbs, sometimes less as CbusGuy stated.  But will hold 28lbs.  Some gas will escape thru pressure relief as the temperature of the tank increases.  Don't store tanks inside.

Odessa, Fl.  

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    My favorite place to stop for propane is Tractor Supply, a farm and home store. They are the least expensive place in southern Arizona that I’ve found. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    edited July 2019
    Many retailers exchange the 20lb tank which really contains only 15lbs.
    edited July 2019
    I agree the screw on gauges are almost useless.  There are various ways to ascertain an approx quantity in your tanks.
    1.  On our sailboat we used a fishing scale.  Empty tanks are about 17lbs.  Full is 37lbs, (20 +17).
    2.  Even the feel method is better than the gauges.  Pour a glass of warm water on the tank.  Then feel down the tank.  Where it's cooler is where the propane level is.
    3. There's also the magnetic "tape" gage for the side of the tank.  I've never used but I hear it works well.
    Odessa, Fl.  

• cmaccmac Member Posts: 90
    I'll second Tractor Supply!
    John & Cheryl
    2007 T@B ClamShell by Dutchman "Goli@th"
    2018 Chevy Colorado V-6
    Edmond, OK
    @rfuss928 now that makes much more sense.   So it isn't a pressure gage but a float or volume gage,   makes sense.    
    Third vote for Tractor Supply.  

In my experience they sell it by the pound or gallon (its a liquid when they put it in the tank) can't remember which.  You pay for what you get.  This experience was over a year ago in Ogdensburg NY.

The last time I filled a partial at either a local hardware or propane dealer they charged as if it were empty.

• rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 909
    edited July 2019
    Many larger campgrounds offer propane refills.  My experience is they also have charged by the gallon at reasonable rates. 
    I have a 10# tank that generally lasts more than a year for us.  I usually refill when convenient before it's empty and have paid less than $10 any where I've been.
    I also use my local Tractor Supply.

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I keep records of how much I pay for propane. The most was an a gas station that was the last fill up in the US in AZ, next was an Ace Hardware in the middle of nowhere  AZ,  and the least was a gas station in the middle of nowhere outside of Tucson. 

Sometimes you can wait to shop, sometimes you have to pay $3.39/gallon because the alternative is 90 cents per gallon less, but a 200 mile round trip to get it 😥
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    Bayliss said:

I have never used a gauge, because I have a pretty good idea how long I can go without refilling my tank.  If in doubt, or I am heading out from my campsite to do some shopping, etc., I lift the tank with my hand to get an idea (by weight) how low it is getting.  If low, I re-fill it before it gets to empty.  I also carry a second tank if I am going to be boondocking/dry camping for an extended period.
    I'd like to carry a second propane tank but am concerned where to carry it. The hitch shelf sounds to be the most logical. But, there are a lot of demands on this space for water jugs etc.. I am thinking it's an unsafe idea to carry a propane tank inside either the T@b or inside the TV due to possible propane venting in hot weather. Or, am I being overly cautious?
    Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
    I strap it to the side of my truck bed,   I wouldn't put it any where inside the trailer just for the risk of damage,  that thing breaks loose and rolls around a bit would create a big mess.    in the Passenger compartment of the TV,  I would be hesitant as well.  I don't think it is too cautious