Options

Trail Head Parking

I bought my T@B 320 s to serve both for travel and to serve as a base camp\starting point for wilderness backpacking. That means I'll be leaving both the T@B and TV at remote trail heads unattended for extended periods 3-14 days I'd say. What's the likelihood they won't be there when I get back? They'll have a coupler and latch lock and, considering wheel locks or chains and hidden GPS tracker. But still.... it would be a disappointing end to a hike.
Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have a tire lock on each tire, and I need to start using my Proven hitch lock. The hidden GPS tracker is a good idea. 

Of course the most important is good insurance. If you remember @MandyLea had her T@G stolen and while it was recovered, it was not usable, so her insurance covered her loss. Her T@G was stolen from her apartment parking lot. She may chime in to tell us what she had used to protect her T@G, and maybe how that has helped her in protecting her new T@B 400.

I do admit to never have left my T@B for over 18 to 20 hours, and that has never been at a trail head. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,356
    Assuming your GPS is satellite-based (not cell service) and you have a satellite phone with you to call the police when the bad guys drive off with your TV and T@B, I'd say you should be OK. 
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    I bought my T@B 320 s to serve both for travel and to serve as a base camp\starting point for wilderness backpacking. That means I'll be leaving both the T@B and TV at remote trail heads unattended for extended periods 3-14 days I'd say. What's the likelihood they won't be there when I get back? They'll have a coupler and latch lock and, considering wheel locks or chains and hidden GPS tracker. But still.... it would be a disappointing end to a hike.
    I would contact the ranger station in the area that you're going to. They wouldn't be able to give you direct assurances about the safety of your trailer, but they could probably give you general information about the level of criminal activity that they've seen in their area. 
    It might be worthwhile to make it appear that the trailer isn't buttoned up for someone who's gone away for awhile. Maybe leave a chair and some other miscellaneous stuff outside (dog bowl, boots?). IOW make it look like you could be coming back any minute.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    We had a rental car broken into, totally smashed the passenger window, at a trailhead in Yellowstone.  They rifled through everything looking for cash.  It was a real pain because the day we came off trail, we were scheduled to depart the park.  Nothing like sitting on cardboard to avoid getting cut!  The rangers left a message for us to contact them.  They caught the thieves and we were notified a month later.  If I had to do it all over again, I would find someone to drive us to the trailhead.  Yes, it was a disappointing end to our trip☹️
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Robbing vehicles parked at trailheads is a pretty regular occurrence, sadly. You might go a long time and be OK but you never know when a criminal will strike.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    dCliffhangerdCliffhanger Member Posts: 120
    I've spent many years backpacking, which has always meant leaving a car parked for long periods. And I've never had a problem. I believe, in general, people that partake of that kind of recreation are good and trustworthy, like me! But I can imagine day users, or someone cruising for theft purposes could present some risk. Yes insurance.  But not sure I want to incur the ongoing gps expense. Like I've seen others say, if they want to steal it, they will.  There's no protection that cannot be defeated by a prepared thief.  I might have been hoping to hear others say "do it all the time - no problem".  Just have to take what precautions I can and then forget it until I get back.

Ron\ 2020 T@B 320-S Boondock Edge; Roof Solar, Firefly Grp31 Carbon Foam Battery; TV: 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 3.6l V6; Madison, Wi
  • Options
    Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    I'd at least do what we do in our driveway--put a lock on the hitch, and park the car in front of the hitch so it's not as easy to take the trailer without moving the car too. I'm sure someone can figure out how to steal either or both if they're determined, but that should make it more of a pain, anyway. 
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I think your just asking for trouble.

It is probably safer in the woods than leaving it for a week in a Walmart parking lot.     

I would be less worried about it being stolen than someone breaking in and vandalizing it or living in it.

Most trailheads have reviews on line and the rangers or local leo can probably tell you if it is a good idea or not.

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I've spent many years backpacking, which has always meant leaving a car parked for long periods. And I've never had a problem. I believe, in general, people that partake of that kind of recreation are good and trustworthy, like me! But I can imagine day users, or someone cruising for theft purposes could present some risk. Yes insurance.  But not sure I want to incur the ongoing gps expense. Like I've seen others say, if they want to steal it, they will.  There's no protection that cannot be defeated by a prepared thief.  I might have been hoping to hear others say "do it all the time - no problem".  Just have to take what precautions I can and then forget it until I get back.

It all depends on where you are. There are areas attacking transients which are seeing higher crime rates 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I too have never had an issue leaving my car only at trail heads while backpacking. This includes 3-14 day trips on the east coast & west. I wish I had my tab BITD to come back too, although a hotel room sufficed!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    4ncar said:
    I too have never had an issue leaving my car only at trail heads while backpacking. This includes 3-14 day trips on the east coast & west. I wish I had my tab BITD to come back too, although a hotel room sufficed!
    That's good. Using my T@b as an evolutionary step up. In olden days, we hid the car keys under a rock. Didn't take phones - 'cause there were none. Pre-retirement, it was a payphone call home to verify we survived then a 1500 mile, often straight thru, dash home - to work. Now, once off the trail, I can wander somewhere else.  I can just resupply and say "next"!

• Options
    klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Make sure you have good insurance.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    You are braver than I am. .  . .
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    lkc001 said:
    You are braver than I am. .  . .
    It's largely a matter of being prepared, and to accurately assess the risks compared to your skills and equipment - and being appropriately careful. The feeling of freedom found in the wilderness is worth everything. The T@b, as much as I love it, is just a piece of equipment that will gradually, almost happily, accumulate scratches and dings as it takes me where I want to be.

• Options
    TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    While not preventing theft or vandalism of the vehicles at the trailhead this tip may help your residence.

This information was posted on a kayaking site I belong to.

Hide any paperwork that lists your home address on it, your registration, insurance ID, repair paperwork etc.  Thieves will see that you are out for an extended time (on the water or trail), so that gives them the opportunity to go to your residence and break in.
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL