Alde system not heating water - adjust the mixing valve

KAKKAK Member Posts: 16
We are unable to get consistent hot water from our system.  We can get hot water when the cabin temp is turned way up, but other wise we get a few seconds of hot water then it turns luke warm.  We have the mix turned all the way to high, we have bled the system.   When we turn the hot water booster on, we can hear the system kick-in for approx 2 minutes then it shuts off.   Any ideas?

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    So you have the analog or digital control panel?  Do you have the T@B's electric pump on (switch by the sink)?
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    Is this the first time using hot water?  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • KAKKAK Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2019
    We have the digital control panel and we have tried with the pump turn on and turned off.  It seems as if the Alde only wants to fire on when the water heat booster is turned on, otherwise it doesn't seem to run. 
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    1. Try adjusting the mixing valve.

https://youtu.be/nJR-DlZuYlE

If that dies not work,

2. Make sure your valves are all correct for camping mode.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Jenn is right about having your valves in camping mode.  If you have the Alde bypass mode on, the tank will not fill.  You may get a little warm water just from the proximity of the Alde to some of the water lines, but then it putters out.

This thread should help.  Go down to Bayliss on May 24th.  He has the best description for adjusting the mixing valve.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/117335#Comment_117335
    We actually opened the mixing value all the way.  No change, still no hot water. 
    Opening it all the way is only the start.  You need to loosen the screw on top, pull the cap up, turn it etc.  
    I will give that a try - thank you.
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @KAK, for whatever it is worth, after I made the adjustments to my mixing valve it has been working as designed.  I agree with @Sharon_is_SAM's last point, which you need to do.  I am currently on a two-month trip and had not had a chance to use the Alde since I adjusted it, but now that I have confirmed it is properly adjusted, I am a happy camper.  Too bad they don't make the proper adjustment at the factory, but I suppose we all have to go through the Alde Right of Passage.  Good luck!
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

before I muck with the mixing valve I have one more question.  Should that valve that sits between the cold and hot be open?  thanks
    That is your Alde bypass valve and it should be closed as is during camping season.
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    I spent some quality time with our mixing valve this year. We were getting the 3 seconds of hot, then no hot water thing up till then.
    BUT I mis read or didn't understand the simple arrow instructions on the value. 1/2 turn counter clockwise had the knob free in my hand and a spout of water rushing vertically out of the rest of it. Thank gosh for shut off valves at hand.
    After mopping up the mess, and finding two parts from inside the valve hidden behind the Alde, I found it didn't go back together as it looked like it should. 20 minutes later on Google I found a schematic for the value, put the parts in as shown and assembled the valve again.
    for those as dyslexic as I am, Clockwise to add hot water... Clockwise.
    so the factory setting on MY valve was absolute MINIMUM HOT. Now it is about 1/2 way and we have all the hot we could ask for.
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited August 2019
    As much as I hate to say this, but have you confirmed that the energy sources are on?  I ask this because I met a 400 owner recently at a campground who said he couldn’t get hot water.  He mentioned it worked in the winter time but hasn’t worked since the weather turned warm and he hasn’t used the heating system.  I asked whether he made sure the propane and electricity were still enabled at the menu page even though he wasn’t using the heater?  He didn’t know what I meant.   I took a look and sure enough the two bottom slides for electricity and propane on the menu page were both off. I turned them on, set the cabin temperature to 55 so the cabin heat wouldn’t come on, and the water was hot within an hour.  Don’t presume your energy sources are on just because the display is on. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax