Options

Any Tips for Removing Pine Sap from Pahaque Visor?

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
edited August 2019 in Tips & Tricks
On our last camping trip we were under a big pine tree that dropped big drops of sap all over our T@b.  I was able to scoop off the bulk of each drop from the roof with a plastic scraper, then removed the rest using a rag soaked with rubbing alcohol.  Will follow that with some McGuires Orange car wash, however, we're not sure what to do about the sap on our visor.  Any tips?  Maybe use the same approach?
-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have some thatbI need to deal with, too.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    In an inconspicuous area, I would try:
    - Awesome from Dollar Tree/Dollar General/Amazon or
    - diluted Simple Green or
    - Dawn dishwater detergent

All three are mild, but I’m not sure what they will do with the waterproofing, so you may need to apply a tent waterproofer when dry. 

These three are are my go-to “yuck” removers and I keep the Awesome and Dawn on hand. I know you can buy Simple Green in quart spray bottles so it should be available locally. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    @BrianZ, on our tent we just use Dawn dish detergent.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    Thanks, @Verna, yes I have both Dawn & Awesome.  I had already washed the trailer twice - first with Dawn & then with awesome; but, neither removed the large drops of pine sap from the roof.  So, I doubt they will do anything for the visor.  I ended up removing the sap from the roof with isopropyl alcohol.  I'm thinking of trying the McGuires Orange car wash concentrate, but more concentrated than their suggested capful in a bucket, since it states that it can remove bugs, tar & sap.
    If that doesn't work, maybe Simple Green would be next, or some bug & tar remover we have on hand that's made for cars.
    Hopefully, will try later today & post results.
  • Options
    Backpacker magazine says to try mineral oil followed by soap and hot water, rubbing alcohol, Goo Gone (after testing), or freeze it in the freezer or freeze the sap with ice cubes.  
  • Options
    Thanks, @Sharon_is_SAM.  Does the dawn work for big (like 1/4-1/2" diam) drops of pine sap?  I  didn't try it full strength.  I regret not dealing with it promptly a couple months ago when it happened (out of sight, out of mind), so it was probably harder to remove from the roof.  At least the visor hasn't been baking in the sun.
  • Options
    This from PahaQue:

How do I clean my tent?

We recommend warm water with mild soap such as Nikwax Tech Wash, and a soft sponge. Do not use harsh chemicals or bleach. Never put your tent in a dryer! Tent materials must be allowed to air dry completely in order to avoid mildew stains. Mildew is a tent's worst enemy and will cause irreversible damage. Mold and Mildew damage is not covered by warranty.

• Options
    @BrianZ, another option for the visor is wait for the sap to dry thoroughly and then flake it off with a plastic spatula.  For the TaB, John used a bug and tar remover.  May need to rewax after.
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,427
    I've got the same issue. I've used Simple Green and it helps, but never really gets the spots completely out. I've found once it bakes a bit in the sun the sticky goes away and it's not really a problem.  ;-) 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @BrianZ, for the second part of your question, +2 on Bug and Tar removal, but I did use NuFinish wax for some dried sap on my T&B S Max. It worked wonderfully, although it did take some elbow grease since it was dried. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    I would try putting the visor in the freezer. If the sap has not seeped into the fibers it may just break away clean. Good luck.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    You could try peanut butter, but I’m not sure if it would leave you with a nonremovable stain or not.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Sorry, I  misspoke - it was Nu Finish Orange Power car wash that I have (not McGuires)..

It does suggest using full strength directly from bottle, and that seems to be working.  I applied it directly to spots of sap on the visor using a small wet rag, scrubbing with it, then scrubbing with a clean wet rag, followed by a dry rag.  Most all of the drops had already soaked into the fabric, so no excess to remove.  As long as the sticky surface is gone without a spot (which it is), then anything left inside the fabric is just extra waterproofing I figure.  Probably going to go back over the trailer roof with this stuff for good measure, then wax it.  This visor is gonna take a while.

Update: 
    It took about 2-3 hours, but I got all the spots of sap off of our visor with the Nu Finish car wash concentrate.  I think we may have wiped off the excess drops before we packed it up, but there was still gummy residue spots left that needed to be cleaned up.  It wasn't like our roof which had what looked like large drops of yellowish water all over.  We were only there for 2 nights, so I was surprised to see such large drops on the roof.
    Will be sure to take note of what kind of tree we park under in the future.
  • Options
    Tulip poplar trees (also known as Poplar trees) are know to secrete sap in August. The leaves look like like a tulip, by the way. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Our sappy experience was in mid-July.  Here is the offending pine tree behind our T@b..

PS (8/29):
    After waxing our T@B with Nu Finish wax, I noticed that there remained some slightly dull looking spots on the finish where I had rubbed to get the tree sap off the roof with rubbing alcohol.  I don't know if the alcohol removed some of the finish or if I made scuff Mark's from the rubbing, but even after waxing I can see some slightly dull spots where I rubbed off the sap.  It isn't very noticeable on our white finish, and better after waxing, but if I had to do it again, I would try the Nu Finish car wash or other product first to remove sap, use less elbow grease, and let the product/alcohol have some time to do it's work before rubbing more gently. 

At least all the sap is gone & it looks great now all waxed.  I had forgotten how effective the wax can be for removing any stains that remain even after a thorough washing.  One problem area tends to get dark streaks under our front window from tree debris getting caught on top of the window & washing down.  It was faint, yet still remained after washing, but the waxing removed the rest.

I estimate it took me an extra 6 hours to remove all the sap from the XL Visor and roof of the T@B, so I hope I have learned my lesson to be more careful to avoid parking directly under a pine tree!  I recall wondering why that otherwise very nice campsite on the outside of a loop had not been taken. 
  • Options
    On a recent trip I noticed my three-point shelter developed a sticky coating over its entirety. The T@B awning seemed to have it, too, only much less so. I was under trees--but not pine trees--and the substance seemed much less tenacious than pine sap as it rinses off my hands pretty easily with soap and water.
    I haven't tackled cleaning the gear yet. I'm wondering if a run through the gentle cycle of the washer would be an easy way out.
    Anybody have a similar experience, know what the sticky stuff might be, or have any insight on throwing canopies in to the laundry?
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Was it on the T@B too? Regardless what it is, I’d probably hose it down with water on my lawn before putting it in the washer.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    I didn't notice it so much on the T@B, but the three-point was under a mix of non-pine trees, so I'm wondering if it might be some other sort of sap like what Verna mentioned earlier.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG
    We get that sort of thing under maple trees in the Pacific Northwest. I am told that it is for lack of a better term it is “aphid pee”.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @ScottG
    We get that sort of thing under maple trees in the Pacific Northwest. I am told that it is for lack of a better term it is “aphid pee”.
    Now that you mention it, the shelter was under a couple maple trees. How do you deal with it? I don't care so much about the shelter itself as the annoying stick it leaves on my hands...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @ScottG
    It actually wash’s off easy with soap an water 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ScottG, I’m trying to remember the name of the aphid type bug “sucking” on the tulip poplar trees....the secretion washed off easily from the 2012 Escape (tow vehicle at the time) and from the camper (pre-teardrop). I had waxed both just a couple of weeks before this trip. The attached awning was not used. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN