Options

2020 T@B400 AC noise. Can anyone confirm if this is normal or not?

Hi all, can anyone here with a newer T@B (with the new Elwell AIR-8 system under the bed)  listen to this video and tell me if this AC noise is normal or not?

We took delivery 3 days ago, drove home from the dealer 10 miles away and parked it. We are quite sure it didn't sound like this when we did the walkthru at the dealer. 

Noise starts around 15 seconds in. I can deal with the fan noise, specifically referring to the rattle/grinding type noise.  Notice after lifting up the bed panel and tapping the unit it stops for a brief moment. That sounds like something loose to me. 

Just would like to confirm before making a call for service. Love everything else about this thing so far.

https://youtu.be/4W0iXhNLEnk

2020 T@B 400 Boondock Lite - 2018 Toyota Tundra Platinum - Tempe AZ

Comments

• Options
    grsiepkagrsiepka Member Posts: 58
    Also for what it's worth, The AirForce Guy's video of the new AIR-8 system has the AC running at the beginning. I'm not hearing that same noise there, and actually has really good info about the specs of the unit and how to use the thermostat.

https://youtu.be/a_jKy1cTSKw

Probably will just call the dealer but still would be interested in others opinions.
  • Options
    NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    Take a peek under the bed. Sounds like something is vibrating, so look for a loose cover or bar or something similar while the Air8 is operating. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Doesn't sound normal, BUT I haven't heard an Air8, so I guess hope that isn't normal. I agree with @NorthIsUp, look for something loose.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Just replying to my own thread here. Spent some time looking for what is rattling, the Air8 system is enclosed in basically a thick styrofoam box strapped to the floor. It seems the rattle is coming from the right side of the box where i'm guessing a compressor is? Kinda sounds like coil lines are rattling against each other. I'm not crazy about trying to pull the whole unit out so I booked a service appointment with the dealer. Will update in 2 weeks with what they find. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    ours sounds like that when the campground voltage started to sag and just before the power monitor disconnected.   Check the voltage I bet it was down around 102
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    hmm maybe that's why i didn't hear it at the dealer and only when i was plugged in at home.  I'll try and check that. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    _JB__JB_ Member Posts: 18
    So - I've heard this before on mine. Sometimes it's more pronounced than at other times. I did the same as you - lifting the bed to see if I could find something loose. Wasn't sure if it was just the sound of the compressor, but has an almost metallic buzz to it. 

I haven't used the AC enough for a long enough period of time for it to really bother me, but if something is wrong, I'd like to know about it/  Wouldn't bother me if it was a bit quieter too. 

Following - will be interested to see what others say or what you learn. I'll chime in if I come across anything.  
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @grsiepka - are you using a surge protector/Electrical Management System that detects low voltage?  I have read that A/C units are particularly susceptible to damage due to low voltage.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I am not. Hooked up with a dogbone with standard 15amp house plug. Going to do some checking soon.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited September 2019
    We have found that if you are on a 15 amp circuit you cannot charge your battery, run your refrigerator and the air conditioning at the same time with out causing the voltage to sag.

Edit...I forgot.....make sure your alde is off or running on propane

A couple of caveats....we have a 320 and it is probably dependant on the quality of the 15 amp service whether it was simply installed to code or code plus
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    For what its worth, I had a free spot in my breaker box so picked up all the pieces to install a proper 30amp RV receptacle. Plugged in to that and no real change in the noise. 

Bonus is that it gave me a chance to test out the Surge protector i bought, found out it didn't actually work. The Progressive industries SSP-30XL one. Green and Blue lights were on that said it was good, but had no power when plugged in thru it. It was a Amazon warehouse deal, back to Amazon it goes. 

Dealer appt is next Tuesday.

• Options
    Following up after my service appointment. Dealer said it was compressor rattle, solved by installing a shim. All good now. In and out in less than an hour. 
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited September 2019
    For what it’s worth, I measured the sound levels in my 400 with a decibel meter.  Background noise was 37 dB. With the a/c running, it was 81 dB.  That’s somewhere between an alarm clock and city traffic noise.  You can forget listening to music or the TV with the a/c on.