Options

Modified Ultimate Jack

I know I am not the first to mention the Ultimate Jack but I thought other forum members might be interested in how I modified and use mine, especially since there have been recent jack discussions concerning accessing bike racks and tailgates, etc.

I purchased my Ultimate Jack a few months ago from Tractor Supply for around $70.  It is top wound and can be easily raised and lowered to various heights with the use of a sprung locking pin.  Although the manufacturer does not promote the complete removal of the jack, it can be accomplished by releasing a side bolt that protrudes into a vertical location groove.  

As I hope is evident from my pictures, I removed the wind handle and replaced it with a 1/2" socket that I drilled to accept the existing nut and bolt (if necessary the handle can easily be reinstalled at anytime).  Not only does this allow me to wind the jack with my power drill, it also makes the jack more compact.  I also adapted the side channel release bolt with a large hand screw that allows me to quickly release and remove the jack without the need for a wrench.  Additionally, installation of the jack to my 320 tongue required some modification of one of the three jack bolt holes.

Since we carry our bikes using a hitch adapter, I can at any time quickly remove the jack, which means less risk of damaging the bikes and easier releasing/tilting of the bike rack to access the rear of my Trailhawk.  Previously, I was using the original jack modified to operate with the drill from the rear.  Although that worked, the Ultimate Jack is so much easier and gives complete reassurance, especially in tight turns.  Of course, when not transporting bikes, the UJ can be easily put in a raised position and left in place.

Incidentally, if any member could use my old jack (2018, 320) modified for drill use (I can set it for front or rear winding), they can have it for the cost of the shipping from NY.

Comments

• Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    edited September 2019
    A real WINNER! Love what you have done in mounting this jack.
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 542
    I modified an Ultimate Jack similarly by replacing the hand crank with a 1/2 nut (3/4” hex) welded on the shaft. This allowed the use with a Jack-it bike rack and use the 3/4” socket used with a cordless drill. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 488
    Would you have needed to modify the base plate if you'd oriented the jack with the release pin facing the trailer?  Thank you for sharing this; I was unaware of this product.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    teztabteztab Member Posts: 99
    rh5555 said:
    Would you have needed to modify the base plate if you'd oriented the jack with the release pin facing the trailer?  Thank you for sharing this; I was unaware of this product.
    I positioned mine that way so I could retain access to the storage compartments under my deck.  However, even with the release pin at the front, I believe the plate would still require some small modification.
  • Options
    DenisP said:
    I modified an Ultimate Jack similarly by replacing the hand crank with a 1/2 nut (3/4” hex) welded on the shaft. This allowed the use with a Jack-it bike rack and use the 3/4” socket used with a cordless drill. 
    I used the 1/2" socket so it would be easy to revert to the handle if ever needed.  However, welding a nut would have been easier.  Drilling through a chrome vanadium socket is tough and I busted 3 drill bits in the process!

• Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited September 2019
    How in the world did you drill through the socket?
  • Options
    TNOutback said:
    How in the world did you drill through the socket?
    I carefully measured and with a junior hacksaw cut a small groove either side.  That allowed the drill to bite.  It took a while but worked out very well.  Not as difficult as you might think.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited September 2019
    Very nice solution, @teztab.  So now you have the ultimate Ultimate jack.
    I'd be curious to see how your bikes are mounted.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,505
    I've never seen this jack before and I'm very interested. Can you provide more information on "Additionally, installation of the jack to my 320 tongue required some modification of one of the three jack bolt holes."

I assume that this means one of the holes was in the wrong place for the Ultimate Jack. How far off was it? How did you deal with it?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    BrianZ said:
    Thanks @BrianZ !  I am sure someone else will find ways to further adapt this jack, so I'm inclined to think it could be the penultimate Ultimate Jack! 😀  I will post a couple pics of my bike rack setup, later...
  • Options
    Marceline said:
    I've never seen this jack before and I'm very interested. Can you provide more information on "Additionally, installation of the jack to my 320 tongue required some modification of one of the three jack bolt holes."

I assume that this means one of the holes was in the wrong place for the Ultimate Jack. How far off was it? How did you deal with it?
    @Marceline, the hole pattern is slightly different on the T@b (certainly with my 2018, 320), so one of the jack bolt holes has to be "stretched".  It's been a while, but I think I just used a drill step-bit, or possibly a small grinding wheel.  You could also use a round hand file.  Once the hole has been enlarged the jack fits perfectly.
  • Options
    BrianZ said:
    Here are some pics of the bike rack setup.  Because we like to trail ride, we need the bikes mounted to the car, independent of the T@b.  So I use a Swagman type bike rack mounted to a hitch adapter.  A hitch adapter will compromise a vehicle tongue weight capacity, but with the Trailhawk I have plenty of margin.  The adapter, ball mount and bike rack are all clamped solidly together with locking ant-rattle devices, so there is no slack and towing is nice and smooth.  I also drilled an extra hole in the adapter, so the bike rack is positioned as far forward as possible.  The rack tilts back for access to the vehicle hatch.

• Options
    bjn2bjn2 Member Posts: 86
    I finished installing a new Demco coupler and added an Ultimate Trailer Jack as part of the project. On our 2023 320s BD, there's a plate below the coupler with a hole that the BAL jack's tube just fits. I had to grind the hole 1/16" larger diameter to reuse it with the Ultimate jack. I also had to grind out one jack hole on the Demco coupler to get it one of the bolts to fit with it rotated 120 degrees from its normal positon with the pin mechanism facing toward the trailer. The aluminum platform and rail on our trailer intersects with the jack's pin lever, so I had to rotate it. 

I really like your idea to use a knob in place of the retention bolt for the jack's plastic tube guide. I wish the groove on the jack's outer tub didn't require removing the guide to allow full removal of the jack from its mount. 
    Utah-based
    2023 T@B 320 S Boondock
  • Options
    AnOldURAnOldUR Member Posts: 1,288
    bjn2 said:
    I wish the groove on the jack's outer tub didn't require removing the guide to allow full removal of the jack from its mount. 
    The plastic tube guide serves no necessary purpose. Permanently removing it makes taking the jack on and off a very simple process. The only modification necessary to mount the Ultimate Jack on our 2020 320S was to grind a little off the tab opposite the pin so that it didn't contact the plate that's welded to the frame. I can have the Ultimate Jack pulled out and placed in the basket in less than a minute.

I put using a power tool to drive a mechanism designed for manual use in the same basket as adding that hitch extension. Fine for someone else, but not me.

Stockton, New Jersey
    2020 nuCamp T@B 320S * Jeep Wrangler