Comments

• Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    Check out the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X.  It will not only tell you what the line condition is at the moment but will also protect your circuitry from over- or under-voltage, surges, and many other deficiencies while in use.  It is somewhat pricy ($250 at Walmart) and it doesn't have a cell phone app, but it won't let "bad" electricity to your camper.  Rather than telling you via an app about an electrical fault it will isolate the trailer's electrical system to protect it as soon as the fault occurs.
  • Options
    wooperwooper Member Posts: 75
    I also bought the EMS-PT30X.  When I thought about buying a cheaper one I also considered the cost and hassle of blowing electronics and rewiring my 320S.  This past week we were camping and a thunderstorm hit at night.  One close lightening crash cause us to lose our power and I thought the worst.  But a couple of minutes later the power came back on and all was fine.  Maybe a cheaper model might have had the same result.  Maybe nothing would have happened if I didn't have surge protector.  But I feel better that I did.

2017 T@B 320S, 2011 2WD Honda Pilot, Coming out of The Woodlands, TX....Mark & Carolyn
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    What you’re asking about isn’t really a surge protector.  It’s a portable transformer.  And it’s an interesting idea.  It’s big and heavy and designed to absorb energy and then release it in a way that boosts undervoltage conditions.  Unlike a good surge protector, which will cut the power when voltage drops to levels that could damage your electronics, this monster does just the opposite:  it boosts voltage by as much as 10V when voltage gets low.  But it’s a zero sum game—the extra juice has to come from somewhere and that generally means you’ll be taking voltage from someone else, like your neighbors.  A lot of campgrounds don’t allow them for this reason. 
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Hughes does have surge protector solutions. https://hughesautoformers.com/power-watchdog-smart-surge-protectors/

One other addition lwould check offerings from Surge Guard, there are now serveral options besides the often recommended Progressive Industries. I do have one of the Progressive Industries ones, but there may be better choices these days. I don't know about the Hughes ones, but I looked at Surge Guard after I bought and kind of wished I had gone that way.
  • Options
    JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    edited September 2019
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Hughes does have surge protector solutions. https://hughesautoformers.com/power-watchdog-smart-surge-protectors/

One other addition lwould check offerings from Surge Guard, there are now serveral options besides the often recommended Progressive Industries. I do have one of the Progressive Industries ones, but there may be better choices these days. I don't know about the Hughes ones, but I looked at Surge Guard after I bought and kind of wished I had gone that way.
    Right you are.  I saw the reference to autoformer and thought he was referencing the transformer, which is kind of what Hughes is known for.   In that case, I’d go with Progressive.  Surge protectors are what Progressive is known for and their customer service is excellent. When you call with a question, you’ll actually get to talk to someone who knows what they’re talking about. 
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited October 2020
    Those reviews are not about the device the OP referenced.  He is showing a simple line tester/surge protection device, which should give the protection it advertises.
    This is a different device to the Autoformer voltage regulator, which reduces spikes and under voltage issues.
    The Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X unit, provides a better level of protection and power line diagnostics over the Hughes unit referenced by the OP.  The Hughes unit should give basic protection, check the power hookup for ground and wiring connection issues and provide some surge protection.  It is better than not using some type of protection device.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,497
    Thanks @Denny16 - I started a new thread.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    The big difference is that Progressive offers a lifetime warranty, the others do not.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014