Looking for Answers to Questions On My New 320 S

I recently brought home my new 2020 Tab 320 S and have been going through the manual (2017,  and I really wish there was something more current than that!) I've also been going through the posts here and on FB and it's all been helpful, but as a first time RV owner I still have questions that I cannot find answers to.  

First is the toilet, right now I have all the water drained from camper because I knew that it would be sitting for around a month, so the toilet has no water in it. I read somewhere that "you should keep water in the P-trap so that you don't get odors from black tank" First of all I'm not sure what the "P-trap" is, and second, is this true, and if so do you always, other than when you winterize, keep water in this P-trap?  I also read that there should always, again not during winter, be some water in your black tank. True or false?  Last question, on the chemicals that you add to toilet for deodorizing and cleaning, do you also put some down the sink drain for the gray tank? 

Next questions are on things that I either read in manual or from here, but were not explained in detail. The manual says to "drain all low lying drain valves, but does not tell you where they are. I know there is the black, gray and fresh water drains, and the yellow lever in the Alde, and the outside shower, but are there any other ones?

I have read about bypassing Alde when sanitizing, and found a nice labeled picture of the correct position of valves when sanitizing, but it's from a 2016 Tab and my 2020 looks a bit different. So I'm a bit concerned about that because I cannot be certain that I'm going to find the correct valve. Is there a picture somewhere of the current Alde setup? 

Next question is about the 2020 Elwell air conditioner, where are the filters? I know your supposed to clean them every now and then, but where are they? 

My last question is that I'm going to go on my first camping trip in the next few weeks and right now I have all the water drained from tanks, should I sanitize before trip? 

thanks in advance for any help you can offer!  

North Texas
2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite, 2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 4wd, V6, Crew Cab, tow package 

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,604
    edited September 2019
    Good questions.  I'll do one.
    At home, look under your kitchen cabinet or bathroom cabinet where the drain under the sinks are.  That bendy u-shaped pipe?  That is a "trap", which traps gases from creeping up from your sewer pipes.
    "Because of its shape, the trap retains some water after the fixture's use. This water creates an air seal that prevents sewer gas from passing from the drain pipes back into the building. Essentially all plumbing fixtures including sinks, bathtubs, and showers must be equipped with either an internal or external trap. Toilets almost always have an internal trap."
    Usually, after dumping the black and gray tanks, you add water ( and the tank chemicals of your choice) back into both of these tanks, which will fill the traps and prevent gases from escaping back to the trailer.
    Drains: when you look at  your plumbing near the Alde in the camper, you can see some of the pipes run down through the bottom of the trailer:  those are the drains, and each drain has a valve.    Look under the trailer where you see the drains dropping down through the floor and you will find the small drain hoses that correspond to each valve. 
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I'll add that--unlike the toilet in your house--RV toilets do not have a trap that needs to be filled with water. The bowl is sealed off from the black tank by a gate valve that opens when you pull the flush lever. Therefore, there is no need to keep water in the toilet (though it is advisable to not let the sink and shower traps dry out).
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @OneWurldGurl1
    1. In addition to always keeping liquid in the P-traps, I would also recommend to keep some water in the toilet bowl (camping season) and antifreeze in the bowl (winter) to prevent rubber seals/gaskets from drying out.  

2. During camping season, during and in between trips, we always put a gallon or 2 of water with Happy Camper enzyme in the black and gray tanks to let it deodorize and breakdown any left over residue.  In winter, we drain the tanks, then put some antifreeze down and make sure to open and close the tank valves to displace any water in the valve area.

3. Regarding always having water in your black tank, you want the tank to fill (instead of letting the tank valve remain open) so solids don’t cling to the sides.  Also, if your black tank is only partially filled when you go to empty it, fill it to at least 3/4 full to help prevent solids from getting hung up on the side of the tank.  

4. You named all the correct drains.  The only other drain I can think of is for purposes of glycol exchange - not used routinely.

5.  The plumbing has not really changed as far as I know.  I suggest you locate your valves and label them.  If you take a picture of your valves, we can help you label them.  Bypassing the Alde involves turning the bypass valve parallel to the pipe to allow water to flow through the hot water (red) plumbing lines and turning the hot and cold water valves to the off position (perpendicular to the pipe) to prevent flow into the Alde.

6. I saw a video where the Air8 filter was on the side of the unit.  If I remember correctly, you just slide it up.

7.  If you have not sanitized this season, you should sanitize.  Also, be aware that there may be plastic debris in the plumbing, so clean the water pump filter at intervals.

Hope this helps.

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • OneWurldGurl1OneWurldGurl1 Member Posts: 21
    ScottG said:
    I'll add that--unlike the toilet in your house--RV toilets do not have a trap that needs to be filled with water. The bowl is sealed off from the black tank by a gate valve that opens when you pull the flush lever. Therefore, there is no need to keep water in the toilet (though it is advisable to not let the sink and shower traps dry out).
    So how do you not let the sink and shower traps dry out, and is that a "never let them dry out"?  thanks!
    North Texas
    2020 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite, 2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 4wd, V6, Crew Cab, tow package 
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    ScottG said:
    So how do you not let the sink and shower traps dry out, and is that a "never let them dry out"?  thanks!
    During camping season, put a little water down the drain. When winterizing, add a bit of non toxic pink RV antifreeze to the drains. That’s it.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Yep, what VictoriaP said!
    The worst that will happen if they dry out is you might get a little gray tank aroma wafting out of them. It might make you wrinkle your nose, but it won't damage anything.
    2015 T@B S
    While in storage to prevent the P-traps from drying out - especially in a dry environment - you can cover the shower drain with a flat, rubber stopper.  I put saran wrap over the toilet to prevent splashing during travel, but that would probably help, too.
    It's amazing the things you learn when you get an RV. I'm now learning about electricity, energy efficiency, general plumbing and now P-trap's.
    I still cannot completely wrap my head around them though. I did a Google search on P-traps and now have a general idea of what they do, but I do still have questions:
    Do you just pour a little water down the drain and your done? Same with the toilet?
    If your not using your Tab for a while, do you pour more water down the drain to change the water in the P-trap?  
    During the winter when you have anti-freeze in there, do you add more anti-freeze every few weeks (one Google search said to do that)

North Texas
    @OneWurldGurl1, this forum--and the internet in general--can be a great source of information. However, sometimes the volume and variety of it is so overwhelming you find yourself lost in the minutiae.
    Except for pouring little RV antifreeze in them once before I button everything up for the winter, I never give my traps a thought. Regular use and cleaning of the fixtures during camping season keeps them plenty full.
    RDWHAHB (and camp on)!  :-)
    2015 T@B S
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @OneWurldGurl1, no, you don't have to add antifreeze during the winter. Those of us up here in the frozen north winterize carefully and well, then  either put the trailer in storage (with limited access) or in my case in the backyard. When the snow accumulates, it sits covered, and alone. Although only feet from my house on a tiny 40' suburban lot, predominant winds, the orientation of the house and trailer conspire to create a hard packed 4/5' snow drift between us and the trailer. While my husband has undertaken heroic feats to keep us from getting housebound, he has no interest in excavating that snowdrift to check the t@b. Once covered, it will sit between 5 or 6 months, weather depending, until we can slog out there as the snow melts. So, it's not necessary (and nearly impossible) to add extra antifreeze to the traps and toilet. 
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited September 2019
    When ours is sitting winterized, we cover each drain with a plug (sink and shower), and the toilet-bowl antifreeze we'll cover with Saran-Wrap, to reduce the smell of the antifreeze in the Tab, and slow any evaporation.
    We'll often use the Tab while it's winterized, and the antifreeze alcohol smell is kind of strong.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    ChanW said:
    When ours is sitting winterized, we cover each drain with a plug (sink and shower), and the toilet-bowl antifreeze we'll cover with Saran-Wrap, to reduce the smell of the antifreeze in the Tab, and slow any evaporation.
    We'll often use the Tab while it's winterized, and the antifreeze alcohol smell is kind of strong.
    @ChanW There are two kinds of RV antifreeze, both pink just to further confuse you. One has alcohol, one does not. The non alcoholic version is WAY better for your plumbing, as it doesn’t damage the seals, and it supposedly lacks both the strong smell and bad taste that is so hard to remove in the spring.

If you are using the alcohol based one, it’s probably worth tracking down the propylene glycol based instead. It is more expensive though. Home Depot carries it under the brand South/Win.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Good to know, @VictoriaP. Thanks!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @OneWurldGurl1, here is the Air Force Guy video that shows the A/C filter removal at 9:08.

https://youtu.be/KRszDLne1l

Thanks everyone for your comments!
    North Texas