Options

I feel a bit silly for asking this question:

I’m currently on the road staying at an RV park that has full connections.  This is my first experience with connecting my black water tank directly to a sewer line. My question is, do you normally keep the black tank valve closed and store the affluent, then empty it periodically? Or do you leave it open for a full flow?  
Gerri (Gary) Ewing
Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

Comments

• Options
    targtarg Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2019
    If you keep the valve open, you might not flush out all the solid waste with each flush.  Over time, that could build up in your tank.  IMHO, you'd do better to keep the valve closed until the tank is near full, then dump it.
    The grey tank on the other hand, keep it open or not, doesn't really matter.  We tend to keep it closed as well since we don't really fill it up that fast.
    The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice. | -REBEC OF GINAZ
    2019 T@B 320S BD Lite, Jeep TJUR, Jeep JT

• Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    ALWAYS keep it closed until you need to dump or you could get the dreaded solid mountain of poo stuck in your black tank.  Dumping your grey tank AFTER dumping the black tank helps to rinse out the dump hose.  
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    @BogieMeister  and you shouldn't feel silly about asking a question--that's how we learn
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    Keeping your valves closed will also prevent campground sewer gases from wafting back into your tanks, and potentially into your camper.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited October 2019
    Keep both closed then till either when full or just before departure,  empty the black and then flush the sewer hose with your gray.    

I like to completely fill the black tank completely when at full hookups before draining....helps float everything out.   If your paying for full hook ups you might as well take advantage.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    BogieMeisterBogieMeister Member Posts: 114
    This is all “sage” advice. Thanks for the guidance. 
    Gerri (Gary) Ewing
    Montgomery TX (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
    2018 320 S - "No Agenda Hacienda"
    Tow Vehicle 2023 Honda Pilot AWD

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    There is no silly question while learning.
    yes, keep closed, or fear the poop dam!
    Also cockroaches/palmetto bugs like sewer and septic systems.  
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Sounds like you got some good advice here.  We recently tried a similar approach to a slightly different situation..
    We stayed one night at each of three different campgrounds that were about an hour apart, so we figured we'd wait until the last day to visit the dump station.  While at the third campground, we found water in the floor of the shower, but we hadn't used our shower.  I think our gray water was around 30 or 40 percent full; so we figured it must have been due to some sloshing around while traveling, since there weren't any leaks anywhere.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Good to know @BrianZ.  Yes, our tanks are shallow, so I can see how that could happen.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Water water will seep into the toilet over time.  Before we hit the road we turn off pump switch, or disconnect city water, flush/empty bowl.  Since doing this we don’t find any water on shower floor after drives.  We brought that over from our sailboat living lives.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    Tundra57Tundra57 Member Posts: 640
    The only stupid question is the one you never asked.
    No-one judges here fellow tabber
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @DougH
    :rofl:
    !
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya