Options

High-MPG Tow Vehicle

mdomb529mdomb529 Member Posts: 39
Hi everyone.  We just purchased a 2006 T@b 320s in really great condition.  I'm super excited about this camper and to be part of this vibrant community. 

We already have a larger TT, which we tow with our 2007 Nissan Pathfinder 4.0L.  The Pathfinder gets ~18 MPG on its own, 11 MPG pulling the T@b, and 7.5 MPG pulling the larger TT.  I would like to find another tow vehicle to pull the T@b that meets the following criteria:

• AWD or 4WD (we live in the country in Wisconsin, so winters can be rough);
  • Good gas mileage on its own (preferably at least 25 MPG); the vehicle will not be pulling a trailer 97% of the time;
  • Good gas mileage while pulling the T@b (at least 15 MPG?  Is that realistic?);
  • Can pull the T@b comfortably, including for longer trips (I'm planning to do a 1-month national parks trip next fall, which will take me through mountains).
Is there a vehicle that meets these criteria?  I was looking at both a Subaru Outback and at a Honda Element, but I suspect both of these vehicles have shortcomings in the power department.  Has anyone else found the unicorn I describe above?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Best,

Matt
Matt
Appleton, Wisconsin
2006 Dutchmen T@B ("Fuego")
TV: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I have a VW Touareg TDI Diesel and can get easily 19-20 mpg while towing.  There are dozens of threads about tow vehicles, and when I briefly considered selling my TDI back during the "cheating scandal"  the only car that I thought measured up (according to the threads here) was the Ford Ecoboost.  I have no idea how it fits your other requirements for AWD/snow/etc.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Honda Ridgeline. I’m getting more than 24 mpg since new with now more than 12,000 miles and have averaged more than 18 mpg in Eco mode while towing our 2018 320S under 65 mph. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    BMW 328d estate (station wagon).  All wheel drive.  Diesel with 280 lb-ft torque.  3900 lbs pulling, 350 tongue weight with Execuhitch class 3 hitch installed.  Have gotten >50mpg long trips not towing.  25-30 mpg towing 320S at 60mph.  Had to put adjustable spring perches under rear coils to keep vehicle level when towing.  Ground clearance only 5.7" so not great with deep snow, but have driven through plenty of blizzards and winter tours of the Rockies. Can be found lightly used $25-35k.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I think when discussing mpg, it's important to know the terrain, as well as driving speeds. I get better mileage in the mountains and driving west to east. I get my worst mileage in the plains. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    +1 for diesel.  I purchased a Ram 1500 Eco Diesel.  They got tied up in the VW cheating mess.  Picked up 2017 EcoDiesel for 32% off MSRP brand new in April.  We sold the T@B, but the truck had no idea it was back there.  Perhaps there's a few left out there.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    dhaufdhauf Member Posts: 199
    edited August 2018
    I have 1999 Volvo S80 in-line 6 201hp 207ft-lbs torque it has a max 3300lb trailer weight rating and 350 tongue weight rating.  I get about 25-29 highway not towing 23 city/hwy combined and about 19-20 when pulling the T@b including some fairly steep hills in CT.  I’ve even been able to do about 80mph pulling it with no trailer sway, not that I would regularly recommend going that speed just helps to get up some steeper grades and stay about 65mph without downshifting so much.  I will be installing a transmission cooler to the vehicle soon just to make sure the transmission holds up well over time.  It has not overheated or run too hot so far, but don’t want to take a chance especially in the really hot summertime heat.
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2018
    Just got the new Subaru Ascent. It meets all of your list. Just finished a trip over the cascades. Averaged 16 mpg while towing, handles the tab well. 

Getting 26 Mpg on the Hwy, and 19 in town. First trip over the pass was great.

5,000 lb towing 500 lb hitch weight, AWD. 

2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    "Efficient tow vehicle" usually points you towards a diesel powered vehicle.  Do you have any objections to that?

The Chevy Colorado with the 2.8L Duramax diesel should have no issues beating 15 MPG when towing a T@b, and is rated for up to 7,700 lb.

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ArwenArwen Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2018
    I tow our T@B 320S Boondock with my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (V6 4x4), with 4,500 pound towing capacity.

Our T@B is less than 3 months old, and so far all our towing has been fairly hilly, which is normal for northern New England.  But so far, we've average 17 mpg, including our longest trip with two long sea kayaks on the Jeep's roof.

Without the camper, the Jeep gets 24 mpg average on the highway, not great, but decent for a 4 wheel drive V6, with large off road tires, which has plenty of power while towing the T@B. I really like the fact that I have plenty of ground clearance on both vehicles, and I have used low 4x4 drive to back up slow into some tough camping spots.
    Arwen: Northern NH; 2018 T@B 320S Boondock, silver/blue; TV: blue 2018 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
  • Options
    TrailpixieTrailpixie Member Posts: 161
    The tradeoff is simple. Either get good fuel economy while towing or get good fuel economy all the other times. 
  • Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 923
    2014 Touareg TDI
    30+mpg highway
    25 combined - most typical
    18 avg towing T@B (30k miles)

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    edited August 2018
    At some point physics is gonna say if you want to move more mass you gotta expend more energy. 
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    ++ on diesel. I have a 2014 Jeep GC with the ecodiesel. 420 ft/lb torque! 20+ average towing my 320 outback, 30ish on the hwy with out. Not sure if FC Jeep will put it back in the GC again, but it is coming out in the wrangler and the dodge 1500 again.  
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Has anyone found any details on the "new" LM2 I6 diesel in the 2019+ Silverado?  Supposed to have a new generation Duramax 3.0L Inline 6 diesel, and that will be connected to a ten speed transmission.  I'm crossing my fingers that it'll have a big bump in the mileage, but haven't been able to find any EPA or real world numbers.  Just supposed to be >440 lb-ft torque and >30mpg so we can pull the T@B 500 or 600 when they come out.

• Options
    tybladesmithtybladesmith Member Posts: 178
    @ecyfoto, I don't think you will regret the Diesel. Well engineered for towing!
    Kay and Tom - SW Wisconsin - Silver T@bernacle - 2018 T@B 320S Boondock Silver/Black trim TV, 2018 Chevy Colorado, Silver/Black trim, Duramax, TowHaul, IntelliHaul
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    ecyfoto said:
    This summer I met a couple who use a Colorado to tow their T@B. They have been all over the country (literally). They really like the Colorado and almost had me talked into getting one.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    DougH said:
    Has anyone found any details on the "new" LM2 I6 diesel in the 2019+ Silverado?  Supposed to have a new generation

http://gmauthority.com/blog/category/powertrain/engines/lm2/ 3.0L Inline 6 diesel, and that will be connected to a ten speed transmission.  I'm crossing my fingers that it'll have a big bump in the mileage, but haven't been able to find any EPA or real world numbers.  Just supposed to be >440 lb-ft torque and >30mpg so we can pull the T@B 500 or 600 when they come out.
    You might want to follow its progress with this link:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/category/powertrain/engines/lm2/
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Big diesel fan here. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram, almost 300k miles and last tank was over 600 miles solo mixed driving and 17.5 MPG. Weighs over 8000 pounds all the time (work truck). I am shocked at the low mileage figures of much smaller vehicles, what you get with the bigger TV is a huge safety margin and not much worse economy. Towing my cargo trailer cuts it down some, but 16 is typical. On the car side I have a 2005 VW Jetta TDI Pre cheating and I can get over 40 on Highway trips solo. Diesel is simply more efficient and not nearly as affected by adding a load.

You are pushing wind even with a Tab and higher speeds will kill mileage. Nothing wrong with slowing down and running in the right lane and enjoying the journey. I drove that full size Dodge cross County once and ran 62 or under in the slow lane, NY to OR, 20.5 MPG, not bad for an 8000 pound vehicle.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    ecyfoto said:
    DougH said:
    Has anyone found any details on the "new" LM2 I6 diesel in the 2019+ Silverado?  Supposed to have a new generation

http://gmauthority.com/blog/category/powertrain/engines/lm2/ 3.0L Inline 6 diesel, and that will be connected to a ten speed transmission.  I'm crossing my fingers that it'll have a big bump in the mileage, but haven't been able to find any EPA or real world numbers.  Just supposed to be >440 lb-ft torque and >30mpg so we can pull the T@B 500 or 600 when they come out.
    You might want to follow its progress with this link:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/category/powertrain/engines/lm2/
    Oops. I might want to read a bit more carefully so I'm not repeating info around here. Good luck DougH
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    @ecyfoto : don't think you did.  all is well.

• Options
    Lesley_and_IanLesley_and_Ian Member Posts: 66
    Welcome.  we live in western Wisconsin and have a 2007 DM T@B. Where are you located? Also interested in  energy efficient TV.
  • Options
    SwolfSwolf Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone speak about towing with a Subaru Outback with the larger 3.6 engine?
  • Options
    mdomb529mdomb529 Member Posts: 39
    Welcome.  we live in western Wisconsin and have a 2007 DM T@B. Where are you located? Also interested in  energy efficient TV.
    Hi there, Lesley_and_Ian.  I'm in Appleton.  Sad to see the T@b and other camper put away for the season.  But at least the T@b is easy to winterize compared to our bigger camper.
    Matt
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    2006 Dutchmen T@B ("Fuego")
    TV: 2007 Nissan Pathfinder
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    I now use as a TV a GMC Canyon Denali diesel 2.8l 4 cylinder pulling a 400. I only been getting around 14 to 20 mpg towing depending on how and where I drive (note - the motor only has 5k miles on it and still is breaking in). This small 4 cyl diesel pulls the 400 without any real notice that I have the 400 behind me. I am able to do the speed limits and accelerate while keeping up with the traffic in high mountains and passes. 

Without the T@B behind the Canyon, while it is only EPA rated at 28 mpg, I been getting around 33 to 38 mpg on the open road and in the mid 20's in town. I have even seen my dash mpg best 50 mile range at 45.2 mpg. I have pulled a car on a dolly for 200 miles on I-15 and got 25 mpg with the elevation was over 5k' to 7k' with many passes to cross. That load was more than a 320 weighs, but more aero as a 320 vs a 400 to explain the difference in mileage.

This truck is very comfortable to ride in and carry those extra's we tend to want to bring on a camp. I just did a 2 week travel and pulled the T@B for 1500 miles and did another 900 miles without the T@B during that trip. It was nice to get the higher MPG exploring the areas was camped in.

In comparison, I was using a MB GLK 250 diesel as a TV. The mileage was really close, maybe 1-2 mpg better with the GLK and really the ride quality was close between the 2. To me having a comfortable ride while traveling and the feeling the TV has when towing is a big factor in deciding on a TV. I am a bit OCD on mileage and comfort. The Canyon just feels better when towing the 400. The Canyon has 2/Auto/4WD Hi/Lo  while my GLK was only Auto 4WD. The Canyon longer wheel base is probably the reason why it just feel better when towing in my opinion. It is also nice to have a true transfer case if one is ever needed and I do a lot of boondocking.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    marchulemarchule Member Posts: 38
    We have a 2019 KIA Sorento EX V6 pulling a T@B 320s.  Rated towing is 5000 lbs.  20mpg with tailwind going to Idaho from Utah; 16mpg with headwind.
    2018 320S / KIA Sorento 3.5 V6  - 2022 400 Boondock / KIA Telluride 3.8 V6  -  Utah
  • Options
    trainwreckedtrainwrecked Member Posts: 31
    Swolf said:
    Can anyone speak about towing with a Subaru Outback with the larger 3.6 engine?
    Just got back from a 1500 mile trip to Maine - usually cruising around 70 and averaged 13mpg.  If I keep it to 60-65 I get closer to 15mpg.
    2016 T@b M@x S Sofitel >- 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
  • Options
    trainwreckedtrainwrecked Member Posts: 31
    Not the best gas mileage with the outback, but I’ve never had any complaints about the ride or felt like I had to push her too hard.  We love our Subaru and it’s nice enjoying that along with the tab.  Have about 8K miles on the combo now.
    2016 T@b M@x S Sofitel >- 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Any Titan owners with the Cummins diesel? Seems like the smaller pickups from GM, Nissan and even the light duty Dodge's with their Diesels are the MPG winners in this thread. Realize not all folks want or need a pickup but if you do those non heavy duty pickups seem to be a good choice. These newer diesels are very clean and quite and on the downside covered up with sensors and electronics, but what modern engine isn't?
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite