T@B 400 with Alde 3020 Winterization

I'm trying to follow the "Travels With Delaney" video dealing with winterization. Patrick has a T@B 400 with an Alde 3010 and uses the Camco 36543 Winterization Kit to add antifreeze. I'm having trouble finding out where to install the that kit's valve on 400 with an Alde 3020.  Can someone please provide guidance? 

I don't plan to use the blowout method for winterization. Thank you.
Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
2019 T@B 400 BL
2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

Comments

• manatra2manatra2 Member Posts: 4
    I installed my Winterization Kit valve the same place that Patrick did in the closet. The only difference I noticed is the 3020 has 2 yellow valves to drain on the heater when winterizing.

Mike & Cathy
    2019 T@B
    Crestline, Ohio
  • peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    does that mean there is no yellow lift lever for draining the hot water tank? NuCamp says it should be between the red tank and the Alde unit ( I can't seem to find it in my 2019).  Certainly there are not 3 valves as is described in that video ( red and blue but no middle one).  I like the Delaney set up for pumping the antifreeze in: wonder why this wouldn't be a standard instal by the factory. 
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
  • NorthIsUpNorthIsUp Member Posts: 170
    I'm decided that I'm going with the air blowout method, rather than installing the valve.  Attached is a photo of the two yellow valves (follow the yellow arrows) for @peterjoce400 et al. The other two valves are just inside the access door and marked with green arrows. This is for a 2019 T@B 400 with the Alde 3020HE. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• scottdickiescottdickie Member Posts: 29
    Do you have to do anything with the glycol tank when you winterize?
  • dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
    Thanks to Delaney for making it so very clear how to winterize the 400! But I have a question: Why bypass the hot water heater? Won't that leave freezable water in the tank? 
    T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5
    Thanks North is Up for your pic and the great markings.  As I suspected our 2019 400 doesnot have these yellow valves.  Those white fittings on the blue and red lines at the end of the yellow arrows, are there, and what appears to be a sealed hole in the floor under them, but definitely no yellow valves.  That was confirmed today by the tech at the R.V. shop.  He says they leak anyways and you don't need them(?). Tells me to close bypass valve and open the low point drain valves (end of your green arrows).  I have emails to Jason at NuCamp about this.   I like the Delaney set up for pumping the antifreeze in: wonder why this wouldn't be a standard instal by the factory. Parts are $28Cdn at our R.V. shop on V.I.
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Can someone provide a picture of the 2019 TaB 400 Alde plumbing.  Sounds like they changed something.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    Hope this helps, trailer built in sept 2018.
    Unrelated news. You don't have to loosen screw to adjust temp on mixing valve but the knob is hard to turn.

further to those yellow valves, Jason at NuCamp confirms they should be there...my dealer confirms they had removed them prior to delivery thinking they are leak prone (claim the pressure buildup can overwhelm the plastic construction of the valve) which NuCamp says they are not aware of ( NuCamp would like to talk to my dealer about this). Has anyone experienced a leakage problem?  I have been very pleased with the immediate response Jason at NuCamp has given my emails to get to the bottom of why my unit didn't have the valves and states that they will ship my dealer new valves if they don't have them in stock ( I would think they should have 2 - mine).  I've asked dealer today to put them back!  As to changes in plumbing, its that there is now only one blue line at low point drain rather than two.  Not sure when in 2018 they went that route for the 2019 models.
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
    edited October 2018
    I did go with the blowout method by opening up all the valves to drain whatever water was possible and using a special fitting on an air compressor. Then after closing all the valves and setting the Alde to bypass mode, I added about 3 gallons of RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank. I turned on the water pump and made sure that the antifreeze was able to flow through in the hot and cold water faucets of the kitchen sink, bathroom sink and the shower. Once I had pink flowing through each, I shut off the water pump. I then poured a total of another gallon of RV antifreeze into the drains of the sinks and shower.  @dvgibson I think the idea of not letting RV antifreeze into the water heater is that it could damage it. I suspect that draining the system, drains all the water from the heater.  @scottdickie The Alde glycol isn't affected by cold temps. It is actually ethylene glycol aka antifreeze, but different than that of the automotive persuasion which contains additives.  
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    further to those yellow valves, Jason at NuCamp confirms they should be there...my dealer confirms they had removed them prior to delivery thinking they are leak prone (claim the pressure buildup can overwhelm the plastic construction of the valve) which NuCamp says they are not aware of ( NuCamp would like to talk to my dealer about this). Has anyone experienced a leakage problem?
    I recall a few reported leakage problems with those valves, but it doesn't appear to be widespread. They will very likely "leak" if you don't use a pressure regulator, but that is what they are designed to do!
    2015 T@B S
    @NorthIsUp, you said you poured water into your drains - you meant antifreeze, right?  Also, did you bypass before running your pump?
    edited October 2018
    @Sharon_is_SAM - yes, RV antifreeze. Corrected. I did set the bypass. Also, corrected. Thank you. 
    Jean & Arnie  No. Nevada
    2019 T@B 400 BL
    2021 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

• kaylevine1kaylevine1 Member Posts: 165
    NorthisUp-like your method if i do anything at all -not sure if is really necessary here in South Louisiana-I will blow out the lines then fill the drains with rv antifreeze-don't really think it is necessary to put anything in the holding tank as long as it is drained as we never get a hard freeze-only a few nights below freezing-will keep an eye on the weather

• Jaxie985Jaxie985 Member Posts: 49
    @NorthIsUp I don’tknow What you mean by “set the bypass”. I understand opening the lower valves to drain the water heater tank but you mention twice you then “ set the bypass”. Sorry to be so literal but are you referring to closing the input? Or is there a setting on the Alde digital panel?
    2018 T@B 320 Boondock 
    2018 Nissan Frontier
    Kennebunk, ME USA
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    There is a water heater (Alde) bypass valve near the low point drains in the driver side access door near rear of 400.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    @Jaxie985, to prevent putting antifreeze from the fresh water tank into the Alde water tank, you turn a bypass valve, which effectively isolates the Alde, but allows you to fill the remainder of the plumbing with antifreeze.  In the spring, if you use bleach to sanitize, you can again, bypass the Alde so no bleach comes in contact with the stainless steel of the Alde interior tank.
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @Jaxie985 There's some pictures here:

The bypass valve is the big red handle.

Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 731
    If I understand what you are saying . . . . . . "He says they leak anyways and you don't need them(?)"???? and they closed off those drain lines & took the drain plugs out?? Oh boy--this is your dealer telling you this?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what you describe, your dealer has effectively sealed off any way for you to drain your hot water tank portion of the Alde system, and if that IS the case, your hot water tank WILL freeze with water in it.  What i.d.i.o.t.s.
    I would demand that your dealer get on the phone NOW to Nucamp, explain to them what they did and get a fix for it now.  I would also expect the dealer to extend the warranty if needed to cover you in case it's too late and the water tank has frozen--which you won't find out about until you go to add water to the system next spring/summer.   Geezzzzz---why are these kinds of dealers allowed to even sell these Tabs?  Do they not have to have ANY knowledge of the plumbing system??  Appalling.  
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
    @Sharon_is_SAM the picture @PamandJohnUpNorth2 posted must be for the Tab 400? I have the 320 S Boondock with no side panel like that so the bypass valve is somewhere else? I’m traveling tomorrow from frost free environs to an area where nights have been in the 20’s so will be winterizing tomorrow afternoon if all goes well til then. I have antifreeze, a blowout plug, a bicycle pump and a bucket. And Sharon’s pdf. 
    2018 T@B 320 Boondock 
    2018 Nissan Frontier
    Kennebunk, ME USA
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited December 2018
    @Jaxie985, look in the "User's Manuals..." category under "Winterizing Manuals."
    The official winterizing instructions from nuCamp clearly show the 320 bypass in the photos on page 2.
    2015 T@B S
    Sorry @Jaxie985, the thread refers to a 400, so I assumed that is what you had.  If you are only going to drain, blow and fill the traps etc with antifreeze, you don’t need to worry about the bypass valve until spring when you sanitize with bleach or a bleach-type product.  Just follow the pdf directions.

In the spring when you sanitize, close your hot and cold water drain valves and your hot and cold water Alde supply valves, and open the bypass valve (see picture).  By doing this, the bleach water will move from your fresh water tank, through your plumbing lines and avoid the Alde tank.  After you rid your TaB plumbing of the bleach smell with multiple rinses, then you can put your valves back to camping mode.  (Yes, the valves are in the same position for those who want to actually fill their plumbing with antifreeze - same effect - bypass the Alde tank.)

@Sharon_is_SAM thank you for the very clear pic and the labels!! I can do this!
    2018 T@B 320 Boondock 
    2018 Nissan Frontier
    Kennebunk, ME USA
  • I just went with the air pressure method.  Opened the low point drains, after water stopped flowing, I hooked up the air compressor, blew remaining water from low point drains, then closed them and the hot water heater bypass.  Went to each faucet/sink while pressurized and blew out the remaining water. Then anti freeze in the drains.  See if this works.  I can see water collecting in a fitting or elbow, if there is one and could be an issue.  Very cold here in central Ohio this week so it will put this method to the test.  The air px fitting is nice, but it seems to me there would be a way to connect an air hose to the city water connector w/ out having someone stand there. Does anyone know of a video doing the air compressor method?
     2019 Tab 400 Boondock Lite (no AC filter access panel)

• BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    Peterjonce400 I had no problem with the yellow valves in my 2018 T@b 400..  They are supposed to be pressure relief valves and might leak if hot water builds uo pressure or if you don't use a pressure reducer on your water line to the trailer.
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama