Options

Clear Coat peeling

BrookyBrooky Member Posts: 33

I have a 2015 CS-S Max, the Clear Coat is peeling off on the left side, 2/3 is either peeling or dull, the other 1/3 looks great. That side peels a little more every time it rains. Anyone else run into this problem? 

Comments

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    First time I've seen this being reported. I wasn't even aware that there was clear coat on the sides...
    Bad batch? Maybe something corrosive got on there? I'll be keeping a close eye on my 2015.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    @Brooky, just curious, where do you store your TaB and if outside,  with what do you cover it?  Has it been in the sun a lot?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    It’s stored outside, the side that is peeling gets about 3-4 hours of morning sun a day. 
  • Options
    mrericmreric Member Posts: 154
    the sun is very destructive..    wax and cover ,  best way to protect from UV ray.    same thing would happen to a car
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    It's part of the "gel coat" on the aluminum skin. I've heard of it bubbling once or twice. It's not supposed to do that, even if left in the sun. It's a camper. It shouldn't be doing that. Other than the once or twice, gel coat troubles haven't been a recurrent issue. I'd contact NuCamp and ask what to do to prevent it from getting worse.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    I agree with Ratkity. My 2015 sits in the sun a lot more than Brooky's and shows no sign of such peeling.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I wash & wax it with the same products I use on my car. I don’t believe it’s the products, because it’s only on one side of the Tab.
  • Options
    Nope @Brooky, that only has just made things slow down. It might have happened faster without your great care. Keep us posted!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    And, incidentally, I wash my T@B once a year (before putting it away for the season) and have never waxed it.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Could you take a pick with the whole t@b and where it is stored. Is the damaged area on the left roof area or the left side?

jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    2/3 of the left side. ( drivers side )
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    Water intrusion. If you look at the photo of the left side, there is that odd square area, where the shower is. I don’t think that is supposed to be there. 

Jeannie
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    It's an all aluminum skin. That shouldn't affect the gel coat. The floor is composite. 
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    Brooky said:

I have a 2015 CS-S Max, the Clear Coat is peeling off on the left side, 2/3 is either peeling or dull, the other 1/3 looks great. That side peels a little more every time it rains. Anyone else run into this problem? 
    I have a 2013 (first year of Pleasant Valley production) and I haven't seen anything like that. Are you the first owner or did you buy it used? If you bought it used I wonder if the previous owner applied something to the surface that is peeling. Or used some kind of product that they shouldn't have. And like someone else commented, that box outline on the left side is strange. It's positioned where the Cool Cat heat pump was located in the older T@Bs. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    Ratkity said:
    It's an all aluminum skin. That shouldn't affect the gel coat. The floor is composite. 
    Not aluminum. Azdel panels. https://www.azdelonboard.com/
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    edited November 2018
    I believe the the top of the TaBs are aluminum, but the sides are covered with Alufiber - aluminum and fiberglass on top of the Azdel wall construction.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    I get the same boxed outline on the side of my T@B when condensation forms. I suspect it's part of the frame that was retained even after the cool cat was removed from some models. It's never been related to any problems with the finish. 
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    mona said:
    Water intrusion. If you look at the photo of the left side, there is that odd square area, where the shower is. I don’t think that is supposed to be there. 

Jeannie
    I do not believe the 2014 models had a bathroom. I think they came in model year 2014 or 2015. A handful of DM T@bs had them in 2009-2010.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited November 2018
    jkjenn said:
    mona said:

Jeannie
    I do not believe the 2014 models had a bathroom. I think they came in model year 2014 or 2015. A handful of DM T@bs had them in 2009-2010.
    I have a 2013 CS-S and it has a wetbath. That said, I don't believe that the issue with @Brooky 's trailer is connected to the wetbath.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi