Grab handle ideas

Bill@ndRoxBill@ndRox Member Posts: 89
Does someone know of a way to install a sturdy grab handle on the inside of the camper as you exit?   I'm always grabbing the frame of the door and will eventually pull it off as it's only plastic. I've had to tighten the frame.  I don't thing there is anything solid that I could screw into next to the doorframe.  I know there's a good handle outside the door, but it's intuitive to try to grab something inside before stepping outside.  I usually have to exit backwards so I have a handle to grab, or try to remember to grab the wooden frame up higher where the light switches are.  It would be great if there were a wooden stud next to the door frame for this purpose. Thanks for any comments and help.

Comments

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    Hi Bill! I did the same thing until recently. I found some wooden steps that have made going in and out much easier for me. It’s not a handle, but it’s working! I would be interested in a handle though, just in case. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Bill@ndRoxBill@ndRox Member Posts: 89
    Thanks. Nice steps! Still pondering the grab handle and have a few ideas brewing. 
    Where did you get the steps? Might be good around home.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    edited November 2018
    Will a standard RV handle not work? It folds back over the door or away from the door.

https://www.campingworld.com/lend-a-hand-rv-hand-rail-sparkling-silver
    This one folds away from the door which might be better. You'd have to find one small enough to not get in the way of the side window.

https://www.campingworld.com/lend-a-hand-rv-hand-rail-black
    I think this one has been set up to close over the door. 

https://www.campingworld.com/soft-touch-rv-assist-handle?rrec=true
    This one doesn't fold, but may be small enough. 

I think you need to call Elise/NuCamp and ask if the side can handle a grab bar. Would you have to put supports on the opposite side of the composite/aluminum skinned wall? Would there be something there already?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    Thanks everybody. The grab thing should be on the inside of the camper. Right hand grabber, maybe an extension of the wooden shelf vertical piece parallel to the vertical door frame.  Ideas brewing madly.
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @Bill@ndRox I bought them at a church rummage sale from someone who bought them at a yard sale, $10. They need a bit of reinforcement but oversight I’m very happy with them! I’ll take more pics for you next time I’m out in the shed. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited November 2018
    I wonder if a flexible strap loop hung from that vertical shelf piece nearby would do it.  Similar to the strap in the middle of the back seat, or like sometimes found inside car doors.
    Like this..
    Safari Straps EZ100-BLK EZ Grab Handle Black w/Footman Loop https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HRIHQNC
    Or..
    Smittybilt 769402 Black Winch Hook Grab Handle with Premium Pull Strap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K23K60
    Or..
    3 in 1 Automotive Assistant Kits Car Handle, Standing Support Car Cane, Headrest Grip,Adjustable Mobility Aid for Grandparents Patient Elderly Lower Strength by OasisSpace https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG5HFRX

Or there may be a similar, but DIY solution, like a piece of nylon rope looped through a 6" piece of water hose plus a fastener, or just feed through a hole & knot the end.
    Not sure about strength of the shelf bracket, but it's quite strong & probably wouldn't routinely be subject to that much stress, since it's usually more a matter of balance than putting all of one's weight on it.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    Brian, I love your ideas.  Thanks so much.  More head scratching, but less and less each day.  Ideas abound here.  Bill
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Bill@ndRox I’ve been searching for a photo of the T@Bs under construction at NüCamp from members who visited the factory, looking for one that shows the door framed area. No luck so far. I was also sure someone posted a comment about hanging heavier items between the door and passenger side window because of the strength there, also to no avail. Maybe someone else will remember/find something but I’ll keep looking. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    edited November 2018
    jgram2 said:
    @Bill@ndRox I’ve been searching for a photo of the T@Bs under construction at NüCamp from members who visited the factory . . . No luck
    Ratkity said:
    . . . think you need to call Elise/NuCamp and ask if the side can handle a grab bar.
    Does someone know of a way to install a sturdy grab handle on the inside of the camper as you exit?

Am also very interested in placing an inside grab handle (teak) by the door right side.

Same as @jgram2 I've searched the “factory tour” videos and pictures with no luck. Which is no surprise as NuCamp has the sidewall panels fabricated by a subcontractor. Sidewalls arrive complete with nothing useful to see, inside structure wise.

We need NuCamp to provide the sidewall construction drawing for that area of the 320 passenger sidewall. Something like:

{ 11/27 edit figure removed }

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
    Yes, I'd probably add another teak handle there too if either a wood or aluminum stud was available to anchor two screws.
    MuttonChops, Really nice illustrations. I’m wondering what support is behind the outside handle. What’s it screwed into?
    edited November 2018
    . . .  wondering what support is behind the outside handle. What’s it screwed into?

Have wondered the same but not gotten around to removing the outside handle for fears of:
    (1) still won't be able to tell and
    (2) might not go back together as firmly {not knowing what it mounts to}

So will you be our lead to contact NuCamp ?

I’ve emailed “nonwarrantee” repairs with the question and the link to this thread. You may want to call them yourself. I will report back any reply.
    Judi

Thanks all. I’d be happy to take the lead on this with NuCamp, but will wait to hear if Judy gets a reply.  Looks like there may be several interested and hopefully many. I think it’s a huge safety issue. Keep me posted Judy. Thanks for emailing NuCamp, non warantee Dept.  Bill
    Brian,
    what does your teak handle look like and where do you get them?  Bill
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    jgram2 said:
    @Bill@ndRox I’ve been searching for a photo of the T@Bs under construction at NüCamp from members who visited the factory . . . No luck
    Ratkity said:
    . . . think you need to call Elise/NuCamp and ask if the side can handle a grab bar.
    Does someone know of a way to install a sturdy grab handle on the inside of the camper as you exit?

Am also very interested in placing an inside grab handle (teak) by the door right side.

Same as @jgram2 I've searched the “factory tour” videos and pictures with no luck. Which is no surprise as NuCamp has the sidewall panels fabricated by a subcontractor. Sidewalls arrive complete with nothing useful to see, inside structure wise.

We need NuCamp to provide the sidewall construction drawing for that area of the 320 passenger sidewall. Something like:

Bill@ndRox do wish to take on the task of getting information from NuCamp?

FWIW I have a 2013 CS-S and the factory mount for the TV is between the door & window valence. 
    Sorry I can’t provide a photo. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
    edited November 2018
    Marceline said:
    . . . have a 2013 CS-S and the factory mount for the TV is between the door & window valence.
    Interesting, that suggests there is wood in the area of the TeleV Mount.  Which is what is done on a (newer yr) 320 S TeleV Mount.
    Will have to see what NuCamp says . . .
    What I know so far is the aluminum frame around the door extends 1” beyond the door frame. That’s not enough room for hands to grab a handle, unless the handle was deep, then it might work. So I’ve asked for clarification about between the door frame and window frame, not necessarily midway as your forearm would have to bend, but 2-3 inches from the door frame. And for future reference, I’ve asked if it’s 1” beyond the screen door frame, or the regular door frame, hidden by the screen door frame. Will hopefully hear back tomorrow.

The answer I received is NüCamp attaches the exterior door with 3M tape and screws. You will have 1” so will need to place the handle as close to the door as possible, using the 3M tape and screws. The screws should go into the aluminum frame on the interior as well. The same framing exists around the window, so there’s nothing midway between the door and window except wall structure on which to anchor a handle.

If this information is insufficient, I recommend one of you calling nüCamp as my descriptive powers have maxed out. I’ve been exchanging emails with Creed, nüCamp’s number: 844.823.9112

jgram2 said:
    The answer I received is NüCamp attaches the exterior door with 3M tape and screws. You will have 1” so will need to place the handle as close to the door as possible, using the 3M tape and screws. The screws should go into the aluminum frame on the interior as well. The same framing exists around the window, so there’s nothing midway between the door and window except wall structure on which to anchor a handle.
    Thanks @jgram2 expect that is the answer no matter who or how many times we ask.
    Updated drawing based on what you have been told.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    edited November 2018
    @Bill@ndRox I bought them at a church rummage sale from someone who bought them at a yard sale, $10. They need a bit of reinforcement but oversight I’m very happy with them! I’ll take more pics for you next time I’m out in the shed. 
    Nice steps!  You might also consider buying some of that black non-skid tape for your steps to eliminate any slips when using them.  With my luck I'd be stepping down and capow!!!   :| 
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Would JB Weld work instead of 3M tape?
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    edited November 2018
    { 11/27 edit, post contents removed }
    Marceline said:
    . . . have a 2013 CS-S and the factory mount for the TV is between the door & window valence.
    Interesting, that suggests there is wood in the area of the TeleV Mount.  Which is what is done on a (newer yr) 320 S TeleV Mount.
    Will have to see what NuCamp says . . .
    Yeah, but I supposed that it's possible that put some kind of blocking in there just for the TV mount that doesn't exist in the subsequent models when they moved the TV. Unfortunately, my trailer is stored about an hour away from where I live so I can't take a good look at it or get a photo.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Hi Bill! I did the same thing until recently. I found some wooden steps that have made going in and out much easier for me. It’s not a handle, but it’s working! I would be interested in a handle though, just in case. 
    Yes. I had just had knee replacement right before I got my T@B and the pull out steps were not working for me.
    I took them off and bought an adjustable folding step instead. It's much more secure and I really don't have to grab onto anything on my way in or out.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    edited November 2018

More Wondering - - -

By looking into the door latch plate the Wall Metal Frame and outer panel can be seen. So in an attempt to better understand NüCamp's statement on the placement of sidewall metal frames I've created a model of the Door Wall Outline by taking measurements with a Contour Gauge and starting the wall based on what can be seen/measured at the latch plate.

The Metal Frame starts about 0.5 inch from latch plate surface and would need to be 2x1 for the outside handle to screw into metal as NüCamp stated.

Current Thoughts:

{ 11/27 edit, This Figure is WRONG.  There is no BLUE extra framing  }
    { See new 11/27 posting later in thread }

Am considering forwarding this to NüCamp to request additional clarification - - - once I can clearly show and ask (write) what I need from them.

edited November 2018
    Good work, @MuttonChops, and interesting.  This makes me wonder if one could simply replace the screws in the exterior handle with bolts that go all the way through to the inside handle, holding both together, and provided you used the same handle or one with the same screw spacing.  If that height was appropriate for the inside handle, and it was not blocked by the screen door jamb, then it might be a simple matter of just drilling the outside screw holes all the way through & ordering a matching handle from NüCamp.

My only concern might be that, because the handle appears to be shallower than the inside door jamb, there would only be about a half inch of space for one's fingertips to wrap around the handle, and that might cause them to get stuck in that tight space when trying to let go of the handle & cause injury.  Alternatively, grabbing just the inside (3/4 of the handle) might be sufficient.
    A deeper handle with the same screw spacing might be ideal.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    If you had a handle with a short projection that mounts at a right angle, it would allow you to use the same screws as the outside handle and the handle would face the front of the TaB.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio