Picking a Hitch Lock in a couple seconds

DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
edited December 2018 in Products and Accessories
https://youtu.be/f5pV1dOlrw0
I subscribe to the Lock Picking Lawyer YouTube channel to help know what bicycle locks are worth getting.  In the video above he sees how easy it is to pick a Masterlock hitch coupler lock.  It's not good.
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

Comments

• MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    What?  He's faster than myself using a Key . . . . .
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Outside of this one, I don't think much is a deterrent.

https://www.provenlocks.com
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    The reviews for the Proven are hilarious. Master is off the list now and Proven is on.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I think most folks recognize that most coupler locks are to encourage a common thief to move on to the next rig.  Anything to make it a little difficult helps.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    A picture of our proven lock protecting our 400 “L@dybug”.
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    edited December 2018
    I hate not being able to delete. Lol
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    ColleenD2 said:
    I hate not being able to delete. Lol
    It's an odd restriction of the system where users can't delete their own posts.
    What you can do is edit your post and replace all the content with a note saying "moderator please delete" or some such thing.
    2015 T@B S
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited December 2018
    A thief doesn’t even need a hitch. T@bs are light enough that just by wrapping the safety chains around the ball they can quickly tow your trailer away. They will deal with lock later. A better choice might be a wheel lock and tamper proof lug nuts.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Dalehelman I agree, coupler lock only is easy to tow off. I use locking lug nuts, a wheel lock and a hitch lock. Still not fool proof BUT makes it much harder. The serious wheel boots like police use work best, but I went with a cheaper one from Alpha.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    The new Proven lock captures the safety chains which might slow them down. I have added a heavy duty cable through the wheels for winter storage. The two measures might be enough to persuade to look elsewhere.   
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I use two wheel locks and my Proven lock is on its way. Since my 400 is my home, I figured the extra tongue security would be worth it. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    What I find most interesting, if you search the forms, is most the thefts occurred from storage lots or dealer lots.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    Proven lock for me!

Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    edited January 2019
    larrygon said:
    What I find most interesting, if you search the forms, is most the thefts occurred from storage lots or dealer lots.
    I didn't realize that, but it's not surprising. Those establishments are generally unattended, yet wouldn't be odd places for someone to be seen hanging around, and there's less risk of of the owner putting a hole in you...  ;-)
    2015 T@B S
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    Which Proven lock fits a T@B 400?
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    Even the proven lock can be defeated in 2 minutes and 30 seconds.....they drill the lock....but it took them the most time to defeat of all of that style of lock.

Figures now I cant find the article to link to it.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @DougH the lock in your picture,  did you see the fort knox lock guy broke it off in less than 10 seconds.   pry bar and bang it was off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMRHenmVLds&t=187s
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    TNOutback said:
    Which Proven lock fits a T@B 400?
    Proven web-site has pictures of coupler type and correct Lock Model.
    Aren't the T@B 320 and 400 using the same Atwood yoke-style?

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @TNOutback, in response to your question, I believe you would use the Proven Industries Model #2178-A (works well on my 2019 T@B 320S Boondock Lite):

https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2178-a?_pos=1&_sid=61d83054b&_ss=r

This is their newer design, which allows you to also secure the tow chains.  It only works with the couplers depicted below.  My 320S coupler is depicted on the left (i.e., 2” Atwood Straight Tongue Coupler with Yoke Latch.)  NOTE:  Since the T@B has an A-frame type tongue, I initially thought I had the coupler depicted on the right.  However, a closer look changed my mis-impression.  (Greg)

2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Looks like the Proven Locks might be out of business?  Their website isn't responding.

Has anyone tried the FTKnox Locks?  http://ftknoxlocks.com/
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @gspdx, I was able to open the Proven Locks website.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @gspdx, Proven Locks website works for me, also. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @DougH, I hope you'll offer whole organic milk. Nothing worse than a cappuccino with 2% milk.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2020
    @ChanW it's more difficult to pour art in 2% as well, to say nothing of the taste and mouth feel. I usually use the full fat Oatley. Our big Lelit machine has to be sent in for the pressure profiling rebuild, so I've been using the Flair portable lever for espresso in the camper lately. I'm about to switch over to the Cafelat Robot (better work flow / cleanup) and the somewhat matching NZ grinder.  A fellow barista sent me an image of his setup with those two great bits of kit, and they're a reasonably close color match. And from the pic he sent me, looks like he's also a fellow engineer! (and Proven Lock site seems fine).

We did go to an RV show today.  Very disappointed in the B, B+, C units on display. Tragic quality for $140-180k investment.

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @DougH, yeah, better to invest it in good coffee...  :D
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited February 2020
    One of the vehicles we toured yesterday was this year's Tiffin Wayfarer. Generous outside storage in back of rig. But the pic below is an unretouched cell phone snap of the cabinets over the main bed. No, really! A piece of metal screwed onto the bottom of each slab of unchamfered and unevenly stained wood acting as the handle. Nice sharp corners to hit your head on. Not exactly NuCamp quality.

• ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    @dough - And Tiffin is one of the prestige builders...doesn't leave much hope for the rest of the value builders out there!
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Stop looking elsewhere @DougH.  Too often, you will just be disappointed!  NuCamp is in the company of very few quality manufacturers.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    I found a used Proven Industries coupler lock for $100.
    How many Proven Industries owners have replaced their original puck lock with something more secure?
    Is it only certain models that have a drilling issue but older ones are fine?
    2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)