Options

2019 T@B 400 - Users Manual Update

Comments

• Options
    Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    edited April 2019
    The guide has taken on a life of its own as our purpose is to explain to family members borrowing the RV how to use it and be safe on the road.  That means it needs to include many things including what to do when the 7-way gets dumped into the mud and forgotten by accident when temps drop into the 20's.   After explaining what to do, figured it needed to get added to the guide.   Also since others may be still doing their winterizing and post-season work, I'm posting those couple of pages here as it's timely and possibly of use now.  Once again, this is just one persons opinion but always open to input.

Revised 1-23-19 to reflect supplies used in shop vs on the road
    4/1/19 PDF removed - part of V1.0 of resource guide
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    For the update regarding tire change & jacking, I've added a "at your own risk" disclaimer if that wasn't already apparent.  As I'm under a time crunch to get portions of this users guide operational before the trailer goes on the road again for some time, figuring out what to do should there be a flat was high on the short list.  The solution of using an F250 jack was provided by another forum member and I've memorialized the process in the attached PDF.  If the factory is listening, please chime in.

I'm writing it for my family but happy to share what we've come up with.
    Revised and reposted 3/3
  • Options
    falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 755
    @Awca12a
    You are an excellent technical writer!
    I have a question regarding item #18 on your tire changing checklist.  You mention "A Husky 20‐100 ft pound torque wrench can be found in the storage compartment in a black plastic case."  Did this come with your TAB?
    Oh, wait.  You are writing this for your family members.  I guess you bought this and added it and are referring to your TAB.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Short answer is yes, we added the torque wrench along with a specific set of equipment/tools & upgrades that over time we found works for us.  This PDF covers part of the tool bag section but you get the idea.
  • Options
    hobbithousehobbithouse Member Posts: 25
    Great clarification on the jacking point, and the advice for changing the tire. Another noise that might be heard while rotating the wheel when lifted off of the ground could be the brake magnets dragging on the drum, which could easily be confused with a damaged wheel bearing. Dragging magnets is a common thing and is considered normal in most cases. The foregoing is exactly what happened to me and how it was explained to me by my local rv brake and wheel bearing service center. Thanx for this forum!!
    2019 TAB400 2018 Toyota Tacoma 4dr trd off road
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Revised Fuses Section including spare fuse kit
    Had to re-load document so it actually read rev-3

Its now Rev-4 because a forum member pointed out a labeling error in Rev-3.  Thank You!
  • Options
    PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    @Awca12a Once more, tremendous documentation! You do a fantastic job of putting clear words to subjects that most might find difficult to explain in print!
    Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I posted this wheels & bearings section to another thread to answer some questions so I'm cross-posting it here as well.   It references a BEARING SERVICE and BRAKE CONTROLLER section in part of it for more information and those are essentially my interpretation of easier to read portions of the Dexter Bearing service guide and the P3 owners manual usage section.  Not ready to declare those as Draft ready yet.
  • Options
    BigGroverBigGrover Member Posts: 450
    You should copyright and offer to sell your manual to Nucamp!
    BigGrover
    2019 T@b 400 Boondock Lite
    2018 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    Great stuff! Could you export the entire doc as a PDF? I'd like to download it.
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    ecyfotoecyfoto Member Posts: 83
    Stupid me. It IS a PDF.
    2019 T@B 400 Silver/Black
    2018 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax oil burner
    Tampa, Florida
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Would appreciate some feedback on this section under development should anyone be reading this thread.  This portion covers the ALDE and I've written what I consider to be the hard part already but wondering if it is understandable.  Also, given the variety of experiences out there, if anyone has seen a different or better way to operate the system.  Winterizing and the remainder of the menu options will come later and is fairly straightforward.   Also still unsure if there really is a circulator under the shower as the youtube seems to show a tiny portion but it doesn't make sense that nuCAMP would have stressed the parts that way.  

Revised it to include an updated troubleshooting table.
    Unsure if the schematic is correct for the yellow valves as it shows on on blue and one on red but was told both relieve hot water pressure so ??
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Now that most of the content is done, I'm piecing it together into a readable format with index, introduction and so forth.   Have 5-weeks before this needs to be finalized so coming to the end of this project one way or another.   Feedback is always appreciated.

Note Rev2 posted
  • Options
    ColinsTab400ColinsTab400 Member Posts: 25
    Looks great,   not sure if your going to add the arrows in the drivers side like the passenger side or not.  Might be helpful for some

• Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    That will be a great resources.  On page 2, I found what might be a typo...? "Head" up or "heat" up?

The lower settings just mean it takes longer for the system to head‐up.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thank you for finding the typo.  Proofing also helps me know the stated facts seem to sit well with people.  
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    To keep things in the same place, posting the ELECTRICAL section here due to a conversation elsewhere about the AGM batteries, charger and why you shouldn't rely on the KIB battery indicator if you have AGM batteries.   The electrical section is longer than this and can get boring but this has the info needed for the conversations above.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Due to bad stem valves which were upgraded to high-pressure type this weekend, we had to remove the tires and use the jack procedures.  That lead to revisions and updated photos.  Feedback is always welcome!

• Options
    Wasn't aware of the valve stem issue.  I may preemptively change mine before I have an issue.  @Awca12a, printing off the tire change manual now to proofread.
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    Good thing I had a valve wrench in the hitch bag because we had 500 miles to go.  
  • Options
    @Awca12a, is the problem the stems or just the valves?
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama
  • Options
    It was the first time I had checked air pressure since getting the trailer.  Air leakage immediately upon using tire pressure gauge.  Had to fight with tightening valve stem and backing off but it just wouldn’t stay after either adding air or checking pressure.  .   Same thing on other tire but tightening worked.  

Stems that came with tire were cheap and since the tire is not in the vendor product catalogue, I figured they were some special run.  By replacing with high pressure stem I could “know” they were reliable.   Just don’t need to deal with a fast deflating tire on a highway or some back road.   Decided it was cheap insurance to put in a pair of high quality metal stems.  
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Coming down to the end of this project.   Would appreciate any feedback on the checklist pages.
    revised - new version posted below
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    @Awca12a
    I hope I'm not being too picky here, but just a few comments:

Departure Interior Checklist--
    Line # 2--Does the shower head tend to jump out of the holder when under tow?.  So far, mine seems pretty secure.
    Line # 10--Are you referring to the faucets?
    Line # 11--I have heard reference to issues with the shades if they are drawn when under tow.  I think nuCamp recommends leaving them stowed.

Departure Exterior Checklist--
    Line # 1--Where is the oven vent?  Did you add an oven?
    Line # 5--What is an AS low pressure port?  You reference AS several times, what does AS stand for?

Arrival Checklist--
    Line # 2--Chock all 4 wheels?  
    Line # 10--Stove vent tabs?  Where are these?

As I have said before, you have done a fantastic job with this "unofficial" but way better than the official users manual.  Please don't take my comments above as criticism.  I am eager to see the completed product and incorporate it into my "workflow."  I hope you will upload it here--or somewhere. 
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited March 2019
    FYI, I do plan to file it in the "User Manuals..." library.
    That is, when and if @Awca12a ever gets it finalized...  ;-) :-) :-)
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    @falcon1970
    I don't know how that happened but the file you commented on and which I just downloaded isn't the one on my computer.   Just re-loaded the file so it appears correctly.   The AS is the Airstream and it's checklist is different.   Sorry to have wasted your time but the correct one is uploaded now.

@ScottG
    Doing the edits now.  It was a larger project than expected and it won't cover everything I hoped for but perhaps this spring after the season I'll update it after feedback and some spare time to add the things I had hoped for on the first pass.    It will post at about 150 pages.
  • Options
    @Awca12a
    Well, that eases my mind!  I thought I had once again overlooked something important.
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 584
    @Awca12a this is impressive! I have a couple thoughts based on my own experience or suggestions of others that I incorporate into my check lists. Do what you will with any of it. 

I'm a visual person, so pictures help me tremendously, but I understand you may be showing someone how to do what you describe, like backing up.

Page 67, somewhere between #1 and #4, they need to open/pull back the connector latch on the hitch (unless this is done while removing the Reese Hitch lock)? Would a picture be helpful of what this looks like?  Then in #4, latching can oftentimes (for me) be problematic, for example, the ball isn't in just the perfect position and it won't latch. Do you need to discuss this or will you be showing them? Once I'm latched, I will lower the jack post to raise the trailer and hopefully the hitch/ball with it to ensure I'm secure.

Page 68 #5 and #6: pictures would be helpful.

Page 69 Interior: 
     #1: I also add to ensure bungee is secure around TV.
     #4/7: I also add to ensure the fan covers are latched, not just closed.
     Exterior:
     What are the "clip _ flag to ring" you refer to?
     #15 walk around - I include double checking windows closed tight, vent covers down, everything detached, water/electric covers closed.

Page 72, in the case of staying hitched while staying in a parking lot, do you need to detach the 7 way?

#14: turn on water pump only if not connected to fresh water in #6.

Thanks!

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    @dsfdogs. Once again proving the value of this forum.  Thank You for the feedback.  Pictures probably would help here. Not on the cards but in the text. 
  • Options
    @Dsfsogs I would disconnect electrical from the TV to prevent having a dead TV battery, just in case 
    BigGrover
    Central Alabama