Off road capability

Can anybody share some photos or better yet video of their T@b 320 boondock going off road.  I'd like to see just how capable the trailer really is.
Thanks in advance!
Scott

Comments

• pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    Conventional wisdom is that except for a little extra ground clearance, the "Boondock" package is mostly about appearance and convenience. The chassis and camper body are the same as the standard T@Bs.
    That said, people certainly do take them offroad. If you search around here on the forum, I know there a few discussions on this topic, as well as some photos.
    2015 T@B S
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited February 2019
    I agree with you about the boondock being mostly cosmetic.    Try this fellow on youtube,   while it is a tag,  it gives you something to think about.

https://youtu.be/ZC_1jn0-haA

I agree with most of what he is saying and fully agree that the trailer frame is not up to any substantial off roading.    
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • falcon1970falcon1970 Member Posts: 754
    And after watching the Mandy Lea video mentioned above, search for her video explaining her broken frame!  it is mostly a commercial about how well nuCamp treated her but it was still a broken frame.  She never explained--nor have I ever heard--just how the frame got broken in the first place.
  • NCNativeNCNative Member Posts: 95
    Having higher clearance was important to me, but I also keep in mind I am not planning on doing rock crawling, etc with N@venoste.  I think there are probably more suitable hardcore off road trailers if one is doing extreme off-road driving. Our T@Bs can go a lot of places, especially if we are careful and mindful of their limitations.
    N@VENOTSE
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite   
    SF Bay Area
    edited February 2019
    @falcon1970 it was Mandy's Las vegas video and I asked her very specifically about it.   Please review for yourself.    But she said it was a manufactureing defect.......missed welds or something like that.

https://youtu.be/K3PjDpqOrOQ

My post started something along the lines of......so do you think anyone other than a YouTuber would get the same treatment......to my surprise she chimed in.......while I still don't believe it, especially with the recent parts change,  I can only take her at her word.

here is her response

Mandy Lea Photo
    Hi Jerry! This is a completely natural reaction to anyone who sees this video today - so let me give you a little background and answer some questions for you to clear it all up: 1) They thoroughly investigated the problem and found it was a problem in the manufacturing of the actual frame, not the trailer. They buy the frames from a frame manufacturer. Yes, they fixed the problem. They also isolated all serial numbers that were affected and announced a public recall for all affected trailers offering a free fix. 2) You will see this video was posted 2 years ago. 2 years ago nuCamp (at that time called Pleasant Valley) had no idea who I was. I had zero following, and at that time, I was a "nobody" to them. They had no idea I would create this video. 3) Every single person (which has been very few - less than 10) that has contacted them about this problem, has received the exact same service as I did. When you compare this issue/recall to any other that has happened in the automotive or RV industry, it is an indescribably small number of affected products and was handled with the utmost customer service. Until you hear otherwise, I would not worry. I am always available for questions on my experience, which was 100% unsolicited.

I agree the frame is under sized for anything but the mildest off roading

edit to add broke frame link
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Here is the link to the "frame crack" issue.  10 pages or so, and on the first page is a link to the 2016 posts that opened the issue.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    Here is the link to the "frame crack" issue.  10 pages or so, and on the first page is a link to the 2016 posts that opened the issue.

Not sure there is a relationship here. Unlike Mandy Lee's issue with her T@G, these cracks were limited to some 2015 T@Bs, did not result in structural failure, and had no apparent correlation to off-road use. It appears there may have been a bad lot of frames used in that production run, but I'm not sure if that was ever definitively confirmed.
    2015 T@B S
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I think I read someplace the frames were made by Lippert? If so, same as about a million other RV's and definitely probably marginally adequate for pavement let alone rough use. I see the "off road" discussion at best as meaning to tow it someplace on a dirt/gravel road which I take that to mean off pavement, BUT not truly off road like bush wacking, I would hope anyway. Too much to tear up on these to be really off reading, rock crawling, etc. For that you would need a much heavier frame, skid plates, etc.

Mostly a marketing "rugged" look as that sells including to me, BUT I have no illusions that I can drag my trailer wherever I want...
    edited February 2019
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    I think I read someplace the frames were made by Lippert? If so, same as about a million other RV's and definitely probably marginally adequate for pavement let alone rough use.
    Unless they have changed suppliers recently, I think the frames are made by Norco Industries/BAL. Regardless, the same sentiment probably applies...
    2015 T@B S
    @ScottG you are probably right, nonetheless a run of the mill suppliers who crank out products for many RV's. I would hope NuCamp would of laid out some specs to the frame contractor! I am disappointed at some of the weight savings, like not fully boxing frame, all those cutouts, etc.
    short of welding up your own frame,  is there an off the shelf supplier to make a more rugged frame?

might be worth removing the trailer frame and find a local welder to weld up something more substantial.

Honestly I don't want or need to worry about too much tongue weight cracking the frame.    Completely ridiculous
    @Cbusguy probably be difficult at the consumer level, BUT NuCamp could have a vendor build whatever they specified I would think? Obviously the size is specified as these short frames probably are used on few if any other RV'S, however the construction might be standardized by the vendor.

There are a few RV'S that I think still have frames built in house, but the vast majority buy from a parts vendor.
    edited February 2019
    @N7SHG_Ham I figured as much.    probably easier to just have someone build me a custom chassis based on the original.     Worries me a bit to have the trailer off it while the work is getting done.

A shame boondock mostly means cosmetics, I could be so much more
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Cbusguy said:
    @N7SHG_Ham I figured as much.    probably easier to just have someone build me a custom chassis based on the original.     Worries me a bit to have the trailer off it while the work is getting done.

A shame boondock mostly means cosmetics, I could be so much more
    And that built to spec chassis could be galveniszed and have a better suspension and protection plates.  Just a ought.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We bought our Outback knowing it wasn't  an offroading camper, but it's fine for the FS roads we encounter in WA and OR.  The extra clearance has helped with snow camping as well.  Haven't  seen a true off road camper with a wet bath, most just have sleeping and kitchen accommodations.   Has anyone seen one with a bath?
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    edited February 2019
    db_cooper said:
    We bought our Outback knowing it wasn't  an offroading camper, but it's fine for the FS roads we encounter in WA and OR.  The extra clearance has helped with snow camping as well.  Haven't  seen a true off road camper with a wet bath, most just have sleeping and kitchen accommodations.   Has anyone seen one with a bath?
    Many Aussi models.  But the get costy to bring on this side of the big western pound.  :)

but I also beleive they are larger.

some of the Fleetwood popup also had an inside shower and toilet (wet bath???). But yep, the where popup trailer.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited February 2019
    I think a lot of it depends on what you consider off roading. Forest roads and similar rough dirt roads, yes but I would not consider most trailers, including the T@b really truly off-road worthy because even on regular roads thing wiggle loose. That is amped up when you start doing first roads and other rougher roads. I have pulled my T@b short distances to campsites that many would not due to clearance. So if clearance is the issue, than yes, it can be done. If you are talking about rock obstacles than I would not. We have no shock absorbers so the trailer and all of the stuff inside feel every bump.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014