Options

Successfully eliminated “P” trap under sink with Hepvo valve

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,588
    dsatwork said:
    @Sandiegogal Our next mod......this will eliminate the weird smell in the trailer. HepvO® valve.... who knew this even existed? The HepvO® valve means enhanced plumbing design and system efficiency, without compromising performance or risking the escape of foul air into the living space from the drain or sewer.

This appears to be a great product to increase usable cabinet space and will be added to my project wish list.  Everyone however should remember a sink HepvO valve only addresses half the weird smell problem.

The Shower Floor Drain has another P-type drain that can/will dry out.
    Amazon lists a waterless trap designed for shower floor usage, Wirquin Slim Extra Flat Low Profile Shower Trap.  Would expect installing that one is a bit more than a Saturday afternoon project.

There is also a commercial liquid product to seal off the drain so the water does not evaporate.  It does require reapplication after the drain is flushed but might be helpful on long periods of storage . . . of course it's not cheap.
    Everprime by waterless.com  Long Lasting - No Evaporation

Think I'll just try to remember to keep the traps wet for now.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue Member Posts: 22
    edited April 2018
    Thanks for all of your information about the parts that Home Depot carries. I ordered them online and picked the up at my local store.  Bought the HepvO online from Amazon and got a good deal since it was an "open box" but new.  The one hiccup I ran into is my 2018 T@B S sink has the drain off set and there wasn't enough room to connect everything.  Good new was Home Depot carried the additional part and it wasn't expensive. A flex tube to allow me to connect everything. Photos are attached. Got lots of room now. No leaks :)

Here's the part number for the flex coupling. 

Model # C3522355

Internet #205154096

Store SKU #1000049742

Mike & Sara Ross - Panama City, Florida - mrosspc@gmail.com - 2015 Toyota Sienna - Little Boy Blue - 2018 T@B S

• Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @LittleBoyBlue I really like your mod! My sink is also offset (2107 Tab320S) and this would give me some more space. Thanks for sharing!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    edited April 2018
  • Options
  • Options
    dougmdougm Member Posts: 23
    Thank you @Dalehelman for leading the way!
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited May 2018
    PS:  Regarding that issue about whether a vent pipe is required by the Hepvo waterless trap, I came across a story (in an Amazon review maybe) where someone was dissatisfied after installing the device on pipes without any vent.  Apparently, the pipes got heated by the sun, causing air inside to expand which pushed on the rubber bladder inside, turning it inside out so it became a one-way valve in the opposite direction, so the drain could no longer drain!  

I just found it funny that someone would install a trap in non-standard plumbing and then complain about its performance.  Maybe that's one application where a water traps might have an advantage, but situations can be vary.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    @BrianZ
    Awesome write up.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Thanks for the creative thinking on @Dalehelman's project here @BrianZ and @dougm! I'd almost given up on the idea, cuz I couldn't got it into that space.

I'm a bit jealous though, because our drain pipe goes out the front left bottom corner of the cupboard, rather than the rear, as yours do... 
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    @Michigan_Mike
    The one YouTube video I watched said that you can eliminate air vent in your application. The application in my T@B required reconnecting the vent pipe since it also vents the black tank.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    @Michigan_Mike
    The one YouTube video I watched said that you can eliminate air vent in your application. The application in my T@B required reconnecting the vent pipe since it also vents the black tank.
    I didn't want to take any chances and figured I better leave it in place.  Once I figured out the threaded end issue it went well as my feet were getting tired looking for a threaded female end at Lowe's.  That's a great mod Dale and it didn't take long for Linda to use up the available space!  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I left the vent on Verna’s when I did hers as well. Happy life.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    @Dalehelman, once again thanks for a genius mod. Austin and the crew installed the Hepvo valve for me. What a difference, especially since my freshwater tank is in the bottom cupboard, so the top one is all I have.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ReenieGReenieG Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2020
    I found this pic on Amazon. I don't know what type of trailer this is, but my question is, does it matter if the HepvO valve is vertical or horizontal? This looks like a really nice clean install. I'm hoping to make enough room for a microwave under my sink, like @Marco did and I'd like to try something like this.
    2018 T@B 320S / 2020 Chevy Traverse V6 AWD / Phoenix, AZ
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,486
    I just watched an install video and they said it can be installed horizontally or vertically.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Correct it will work either way. The picture does not show a vent pipe. T@Bs have a vent that needs to be maintained at least on the 320s. The 400 and the new cassette toilets may not.The vent pipe vents both gray and black tanks.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    jkjenn said:
    @Dalehelman, once again thanks for a genius mod. Austin and the crew installed the Hepvo valve for me. What a difference, especially since my freshwater tank is in the bottom cupboard, so the top one is all I have.

@jkjenn who are "Austin and crew"? Inquiring minds... you know... ;)
    @Dalehelman, where is the vent pipe on this thing or did jkjenn's "crew" install remove or relocate it? My 2018 T@B 320S is in storage so I'd have to drive over there to have a(nother) look but I don't see it in my pic... I also saw on another earlier post that you first shortened the length of the P trap and then rotated it back, but looks like you now added the Hepvo valve or is that a different trailer? Any thoughts on the pros and cons you can share on the 2 different setups? TIA :)

• Options
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    Hepco or not, I agree with Dalehelman that the vent on the 320 needs to be maintained.

The drain from the kitchen sink is also the vent (and the only vent) from the grey tank. It joins a similar pipe rising from the black tank just after it passes through the wall at the top of the cabinet. A single pipe then continues to the vent opening on the driver's side of the trailer.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    ScottG said:
    Hepco or not, I agree with Dalehelman that the vent on the 320 needs to be maintained.

The drain from the kitchen sink is also the vent (and the only vent) from the grey tank. It joins a similar pipe rising from the black tank just after it passes through the wall at the top of the cabinet. A single pipe then continues to the vent opening on the driver's side of the trailer.

@ScottG, I'm not disagreeing, I just don't see a vent in the pics. So, to me, it doesn't look like these mods or my 320 has one. Maybe if I actually looked at the pipes?
  • Options
    I just watched an install video and they said it can be installed horizontally or vertically.

@Sharon_is_SAM do you have a link to the video?
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/de9n5YbZBTw

This is a different one, but it shows the actual packaging with vertical or horizontal.
  • Options
    @ReenieG - although the valve itself does not need a vent, the plumbing on the TaBs share a vent and if the sink trap is altered, the plumbing still must be vented.  
  • Options
    ReenieG said:
    ScottG said:

@ScottG, I'm not disagreeing, I just don't see a vent in the pics. So, to me, it doesn't look like these mods or my 320 has one. Maybe if I actually looked at the pipes?
    @ReenieG

Dale’s picture has the vent pipe circled.  The black pipe extends to a vent on the side of the TaB.  This pipe also vents the black tank.   

This TaB 400 sink mod picture has the vent to the left, just barely viewable.  

• Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,419
    ReenieG said:
    ScottG said:

@ReenieG, I agree with regard to the original pic you posted--there is no vent on the sink drain, and that suggests the Hepco valve itself does not require a vent to function properly.

Regardless, the grey tank itself must still be vented to prevent pressure from impeding drainage. I assume in your pic (which is not a T@B) the grey tank is probably vented in another location that is more convenient for the layout of that particular camper.

If you go look at your 320 I'll bet a nickel it looks like the pictures Dalehelman posted with the vent in place.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    I tried eliminating the gray water vent. If you do the air in the tank has no where to go when the sink drains so it will bubble up through the shower. Along with any fumes in the gray tank. Not good.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ReenieG said:
    I found this pic on Amazon. I don't know what type of trailer this is, but my question is, does it matter if the HepvO valve is vertical or horizontal? This looks like a really nice clean install. I'm hoping to make enough room for a microwave under my sink, like @Marco did and I'd like to try something like this.
    This is not a T@B installation.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun