Victron Controllers now installed in '20 T@b400's

I just made a call to the factory to confirm a couple of details that I couldn't find online, and they said that they have now switched over to installing Victron Solar Charge Controllers for 400's with factory solar installed. It sounds like with their smartphone app, this may now obviate the need to install the (popular) 700/712 battery monitors, which indeed seem a bit expensive for what they are, even though it is information we should have readily available when off the grid.

Just thought I'd share, as I hadn't seen this posted anywhere (don't quite me on it!)   ;)

-Jeff
2020 T@B400 Boondock Lite w/solar, TV is 2016 Toyota 4Runner TRD
Jeff --Front Range of Colorado

Comments

• OldcootcamperOldcootcamper Member Posts: 23
    I’m a new T@B 400 owner with the factory installed solar and Victron controller.  After reading numerous posts here, elsewhere and various articles, I’ve decided to install the victron 712 battery monitor as well. 

The reason is that the solar controller doesn’t actually provide the state of charge, nor time left to full discharge (50%) based on current use.  While the controller does provide the current battery charge voltage and you can surmise the SOC, it’s an approximation only.  For $200, which I agree ain’t cheap, it gives me peace of mind knowing a more exact state of the expensive AGM batteries and seems worth it to me. 

I have no clue how to do this so hopefully I won’t blow anything up. Lol
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    edited April 2019
    Can you not get all the info you need from the smartphone app? If not, I may also install the monitor.
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Can you not get all the info you need from the smartphone app? If not, I may also install the monitor.
    No, the battery monitor gives you the real state of charge, not just a reading of current voltage. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    The battery monitor also helps the charger adjust its charge parameters for a more effective charge curve, using the 'real time' battery temperature (with the optional temp sensor), and a more precise state of charge reading. Or something like that...  B)
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • b407driverb407driver Member Posts: 130
    Hmmm... more research to do. This solar thing is indeed a very deep rabbit-hole!

Thanks for the input!
  • PamandJohnUpNorth2PamandJohnUpNorth2 Member Posts: 141
    edited April 2019
    Can someone tell me which model# mppt VictronSolar Charging Controller is the factory using with the newer 2019 or 2020 T@B400's-I am looking at replacing my original SR HP-2440B PMW solar controller. Is nucamp using the Smart Solar mppt 75/15 now?

Pam and John
    Champlin, Minnesota
    2018 T@B400 and a 2018 Ridgeline 

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Is nucamp using the Smart Solar mppt 75/15 now?

YES! They started using that mid 2019 builds.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Is nucamp using the Smart Solar mppt 75/15 now?

YES! They started using that mid 2019 builds.
    75/10, actually.  At least that's what's in my October build.
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • NinabeanNinabean Member Posts: 68
    I just bought my Tab400 2019 but a December 2018 build.  It has the 75/15 Smart Solar.
    2019 T@b 400 “Hazel”   Towed with a 2013 Ford F-150 STX  4X4 SuperCab 5.0L
    table mod
  • JEBJEB Member Posts: 266
    Ninabean said:
    I just bought my Tab400 2019 but a December 2018 build.  It has the 75/15 Smart Solar.
    Doh!  I think I got pimped.
    2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 Duramax
  • AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    My 2020 400 (born Oct 16 2019) has the Victron SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and I love it.  The Bluetooth connectivity really helps me keep track of the voltage.
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
  • Deb55Deb55 Member Posts: 293
    We just got back from NuCamp where we had the factory solar install done with the MPPT 75/15 controller plus the BMV 712 Smart controller. The battery monitor gives a lot of info that the controller doesn't give--I especially like the feature that tells you how many days/hours/minutes you have left if you continue to use the electronics that you are using, and how that changes if you change your energy usage. 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, out Jan 2018 has the Victron MPPT 75/15 also, and I installed BMC 712 battery monitor also, they work together to keep the battery at the proper charge level.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    If you have both devices, be sure and set up a network between the two of them, so the solar controller is taking info from the battery monitor to fine-tune its charging profiles.
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @Denny16
    @TNOutback

Curious how you thought the installation of the BMC712 went. Where did you locate the monitor? Much wood butchering required. Running wiring fairly straight-forward? Is it worth seeking professional installation? 

I'm no electrician but I have a moderate level of knowledge in wiring 200amp electrical panels and installing fixtures in a home and barn some years past (at least it passed inspection!).

Thanks in advance. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

@airboss, I toyed with installing it myself, but I got a “free” install by my dealer when Nucamp forgot to include it in my build order.  It’s pretty straightforward.  Our builds are different since you have the big refrigerator.  The monitor was installed next to my Jensen unit, which faces the bed.  In practice though, the location of the monitor may not be important if you intend to use Victron’s mobile app.  You could just leave it coiled up and laying in the Air8 compartment.  I use the mobile app almost exclusively, to the point I’ve never bothered programming the monitor screen itself; it just displays voltage and that’s okay with me.  I rarely look at it.

The battery shunt in mine is mounted on the rear wall of the Air8 compartment, which is where I would have put it myself.  Just need a short length of battery cable to run from it to the distribution block mounted on the floor there.

Think it would be a good project for you. ;)
    AirBoss, there is room above the Alde monitor to locate the Battery monitor display, fishing the cable is fairly easy.  You do need a hole saw the correct diameter to cut the panel for the meter display.  I got mine installed back in the radio compartment also.  You could put the display nest to your radio also, shorter wire run.  The only cable is the RJ phone line cable from the shunt to the display, no additional power connection on the monitor display.
    cheers
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    @TNOutback
    @Denny16

Do have the app and it works really well.

You guys are awesome. Thanks much. 
    2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
    Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
    '04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com
    https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Yes we have the IPhone IOS app and the Android app, both work fine.  It was a little more fiddly getting the Android app setup and working.
    cheers
  • johnfconwayjohnfconway Member Posts: 291
    AirBoss said:
    @Denny16
    @TNOutback

Curious how you thought the installation of the BMC712 went. Where did you locate the monitor? Much wood butchering required. Running wiring fairly straight-forward? Is it worth seeking professional installation? 

I'm no electrician but I have a moderate level of knowledge in wiring 200amp electrical panels and installing fixtures in a home and barn some years past (at least it passed inspection!).

Thanks in advance. 

Watched nicely done YouTube video by "Grefe Away" installing BMV-712 in 2020 T@B 400. They simply used a ziptie to hold monitor and gathered wire to cables under the bed panel. The app is way easier to deal with and provides more information at-a-glance. Bluetooth works seamlessly with both Victron apps. We did same as Grefe Away. If we gently raise the under-bed access panel, the monitor is there for reading.
    2020 T@B 400 BDL towed with 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X  Silver City, NM
    edited July 2020
    That works also.  I have a cover over the Inverter/Shunt area, which is boxed off at the front of the middle section of the bunk compartment, and the battery monitor could have been mounted there as well.  
    cheers
    TNOutback said:
    If you have both devices, be sure and set up a network between the two of them, so the solar controller is taking info from the battery monitor to fine-tune its charging profiles.
    Did a Google search on this and came up empty handed. If both apps are in "Victron Connect" does this become the network? It does seem like information is being shared between solar panel --> batteries. Anyway to know for sure?   Thanks!

Networking the BMV-712 to the solar charge controller will allow the controller to sense voltage, current, and temperature from the BMV. This link from their help explains it:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:ve-smart-networking

a very good find, should answer most questions on how to get them working together.
    cheers
    TNOutback said:
    Networking the BMV-712 to the solar charge controller will allow the controller to sense voltage, current, and temperature from the BMV. This link from their help explains it:

Thank you #TNOutback! 

TNOutback said:

If both BMV-712 and MPPT 75/15 Controller apps are in Victron Connect, you are wearing ruby slippers. To click the heals, follow the link above provided by TNOutback.  Fast, easy and worthwhile!