Black Water Horrors

Comments

• JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 171

RollingLagrima, two words : wag bag.  ;)

2016 Outback.....North East N.C...... Former 2012 Silver Shadow
  • ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    These posts & comments make me just laugh out loud! Folks make the "dumping" scenario a lot more dramatic than it really is. Kinda like using the facilities themselves, if it takes 'ya more than 5 minutes, 'ya shoulda' brought some reading materials! (besides, the reading materials can do double duty!) :rofl:
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    :rofl:
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
    What REALLY cracks me up are the folks at the dump station that have what looks like HAZMAT gear on from head to toe. Remember folks, it's a dump hose, not a lariat!!! =)  
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

• dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    edited July 2018
    ericnliz said:
    What REALLY cracks me up are the folks at the dump station that have what looks like HAZMAT gear on from head to toe. Remember folks, it's a dump hose, not a lariat!!! =)  
    It's your waste anyhow.....OWN IT!
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    Spokane, Wa.

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    If you've changed a diaper on 2 yr old, it not much different except the smell isn't quite as bad if you use a pleasant deodorizing method in your black water tank ;).
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Verna said:
    If you've changed a diaper on 2 yr old, it not much different except the smell isn't quite as bad if you use a pleasant deodorizing method in your black water tank ;).
    NO AND DON'T PLAN ON IT EITHER...I'll dump the the RV and you can change the diaper.
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
    Now, that was a GOOD one @dsatwork!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl:
    Spokane, Wa.

ericnliz said:
    It always makes me kinda wonder what them folks ate that is so toxic when digested! :rofl: Just tell me and I'll avoid those foods!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
     :s:o , I wouldn't wanna follow 'em too close either! 
    Spokane, Wa.

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @RollingLagrima you don't know the joy you are missing! That's quite a record, FWIW. I had similar intentions, based on fears. They went down the tubes, so to speak, after something at a potluck on my maiden voyage did not sit well early the next morning. I was never so grateful to be a T@b owner with indoor plumbing in my life! The thought of that morning in a tent would not be fun, or pretty. I was taught how to dump by a gal I was camping with, and now it's just no big deal! I also have a clean odor free black tank and dump hose. Again, not a big deal to make it happen. Go for it!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited August 2017
    Yep, the Tab's throne has definitely brought out some grateful feelings at certain times!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Just another day in paradise!!!! ;)
    Spokane, Wa.

• HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @ericnliz, of course!  Any day in the Bug is a day in paradise!  B)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Verna said:
    People must be "gittin' er done" as I haven't seen any bodies stacking up around the dumpstation dressed in hazmat gear!   =)=)=)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Well, that's how they keep the park bears away from the campsites... they just quietly take away the bodies. Keeps em busy for a while. And then you know how unattended things that are unlocked disappear... jus' saying... 

This thread is going down the tubes quickly. I just can't help myself! Then I start singing the Doobie Brother's song "Black Water", so it can't be too bad! Drinking Mississippi moonshine while floating down the river, don't care if it rains! Oh um... I swear I'm in tune when I sing it, really. I swear on Harvey's Doritos.... :innocent:
    @Michigan_Mike I have been using a 10 gallon blue boy tank, but on our test run at Carpinteria State Beach, I found out that 10 gallons is not a practical size to use. So, I'm considering getting something larger, to make fewer trips to the dump site. The 10 Gallon Barker is an older model with pretty big wheels that sit outside the unit lifting it up 2 or 3 inches off the ground. So the connection is higher than my single discharge valve. This means I have to work to fill the tank, by messaging the hose. With your story constantly in the back of my mind, adding stress to those fittings, seams like a bad idea. How does your 42 gallon blue boy tank work with your new single valve? Has anyone found a blue boy tank that sits low enough to work well with the Tabs?

tag: portable sewer tank, portable waste tank, portable holding tank, SmartTote, tote-n-stor, tote-along, tote tank
    I use the 42 gallon for a 28' travel trailer if sitting out in a campground In Why, Arizona.  Just keep inspecting those fittings and you should be okay.  
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have been using a 6 gallon Blue Boy, without wheels, this summer for gray water. I just strapped it to a Harbor Freight hard plastic moving dolly then added a spare dog leash to the dolly to take it to the dump. It worked very well, and is close to the height of the sewer outlet. I did use it over the weekend for the black tank waste, lifting it to my tailgate and strapping it down for safety. It worked well.  I used my 15’ Rhino hose to fill the Blue Boy, since it had the correct ends. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    I use the 42 gallon for a 28' travel trailer if sitting out in a campground In Why, Arizona.  Just keep inspecting those fittings and you should be okay.  
    So you haven't tried to use it with the Tab?
    @Verna
    Thanks, that got me looking in a new direction. So far it seems like the Tote-n-stor have the lowest connection points.
    dsatwork said:
    Not yet....  Since the dump station is across the street this hasn't been an issue.  When I get out to Arizona I will take some shots of the tank and check clearances too.  If I am able to upload a few photos I will do that too, but cell coverage is sparse down in the SW corner and may take a while.  
    dsatwork said:
    Not yet....  Since the dump station is across the street this hasn't been an issue.  When I get out to Arizona I will take some shots of the tank and check clearances too.  If I am able to upload a few photos I will do that too, but cell coverage is sparse down in the SW corner and may take a while.  
    Thank you.
  • ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    Just don’t do what I did last weekend.  We’d packed up our 400 and were leaving the campground.  I pulled up to the dump station, dragged my hose out, connected one end to the trailer and the other to the station hole, and opened the black valve... and nothing. No whoosh, no sploosh, no nothing.   I closed the valve, or tried to, and it wouldn’t close all the way.   Great, I figured I had a plug at the valve.  I carefully twisted the hose to loosen the connection and all “hell” started spraying in 360 degrees around the opening, so I quickly tightened it back up again.  Just then, another RV pulled up to the other side of the station...great,  now I had an audience, to make it even more embarrassing!  He was very sympathetic but didn’t have any ideas, so I waited till he finished his own work.  To make it worse he had an ancient, homemade trailer from what seemed about 1891 and he didn’t have one bit of trouble, unlike me with my brand new modern unit.  When he left, I tried closing my black valve again and immediately broke one side of the handle off!  Then I got the “brilliant” idea to try using grey water to flush out the clog, and so I opened the grey valve, and heard a bit of gurgling, but no draining!   What?  The grey is plugged, too????  So, I tried again, and this time was able to now close both valves as best I could, and using my large brain, deduced that the clog might just have been in the end of my hose.  I carefully took off the hose using a bucket underneath to catch all the joy and sunshine, and looked in the end of my hose for the offending nugget.. and realized I’d left the &@&$#! odor cap on the hose before I hooked it up!!   I was furious, more than embarrassed, but to add another insult, it also dawned on me that I had just  “equalized” my tank levels by letting the full black flow INTO THE 1/4 full GREY!!  

Well, from there it took about 2 minutes to empty both tanks properly (amazing how well they work, when your hose has an opening on both ends), and another 10 minutes spraying down the ground and the station mess we’d made, then about 2 more hours at home cleaning and sanitizing the trailer and its grey system, carrying about 3 tanks worth of grey water bleach rinse into the house to dump down the toilet until all appeared to be running clear.  What should have been a simple, 5 minute procedure took about 3 hours to accomplish, with an over abundance of weeping, wailing, and teeth gnashing. 

The only good is that yes, I’ve got my “RV” story behind me.   I won’t be needing to make any more, thank you very much.
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Doh!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Oh, sorry for your pain, but thanks for the reminder!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Next time... please video the experience.
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    @ADRawli that is Robin William's (RV) level funny. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• ADRawliADRawli Member Posts: 199
    @jkjenn. It really is/was funny and we can laugh at ourselves now that it’s all cleaned up and put back together, but that first realization that you have a black tank contents exposure issue in a public place might be one of the most vulnerable, helpless, and embarrassing of life’s moments.  It’s actually somewhat of an irrational reaction (we all have the same bodily functions after all), but one that’s probably hard to avoid for anyone facing the same circumstance.  Not to mention, it’s just a freakin mess!   :sick:
    Alan & Natalie       McKinney, TX
    nüCamp:  2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4    

Dream big... work hard... never give up.