Checkin battery fluid levels

Hi. Is the best (only) way to check and fill the battery is to remove it from the tub? I am not a tall or strong person.

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    edited May 2019
    @Mega, you can check and fill your battery without taking it out of the tub.  But, what kind of battery do you have?  If it is an AGM, it is virtually maintenance free except for checking the terminals for corrosion from time to time.  If it is a flooded, wet cell (regular) battery, just remove the cover of the battery box if you have one, and you can usually just pop off the cell covers.  Here is a video that should help.

https://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2016/10/05/how-much-water-should-i-add-to-my-rv-batterys/
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    I’m pretty sure I cannot physically check and/or fill because it sits in the 320 tub at the front. My eyes are not that good. 
    You can take it to a battery shop and have them check it.  How old is it and when is the last time distilled water was added?
    Just trying to be more self reliant, just some things you can’t do on your own. I have 2017 Tab cs s purchased new two summers ago. Decided to have service check axles for me this time but didn’t think of battery. I’m thinking I didn’t look after it properly this winter so may have issues. Will see. Thank you. Just wanted to see what others did short of taking battery out.
    Good luck @Mega!
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    It's very easy to check the water level of the battery while it is still in the tub. 

If you are having problems seeing, perhaps use a smartphone or a digital camera to take a picture that you can then enlarge and review. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    edited May 2019
    @Mega If the battery does turn out to be damaged, have it replaced with a sealed AGM deep cycle, the kind Sharon mentions above. (Any dealer or battery shop will know that term.) It will better withstand winters than a regular battery too. They’re a bit more expensive, but so much easier for those of us with more limited mobility or strength.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
    Thank you. Think I will have to take to take to dealer. Cannot remove the cover on the cells. Scared to break it.
  • klengerklenger Member Posts: 307
    Can you take a picture of the battery and post it here?  That would help us determine IF the battery can even be serviced.  Many batteries installed by the dealers are marine style batteries (starting and deep cycle) that don't have any removable caps.
    T@B 320 manuals and electrical drawings
    Considering a 2023 TaB 400 with the full Lithium option, 
    2022 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude, Tow Package.  
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    Been a mechanic all my life. If a wet battery gets low that means there is explosive gas in the battery where the water should be. Its not to common but when they explode WOW! I would strongly suggest buying mat battery's for that reason & you don't have to check the levels at all.  Art 
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
    I took a picture of the make and model to a dealer here to find out the amp hours etc. I mentioned I would likely find it hard to check water levels because of the depth of tub,etc. He said I could bring it by of I did have problem. Now my problem is not being able to take cap off or probably not being able to lift battery out. The model of the battery is for Canadian markets.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,396
    edited May 2019
    Those type of caps pop off pretty easily, though a little gentle coaxing with a screwdriver or other prying device is usually called for. However...
    If you are going to attempt this in the confines of your battery box, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL not to accidentally bridge the battery terminals with some metal implement. If you do, you will at the very least be treated to an impressive fireworks display followed by a change of underwear.
    You'll also want to clean up the top of the battery before popping the caps. There is usually no lip at the edge of the holes, and it's almost a low of nature that any dirt on the top of the battery will find its way down inside!
    2015 T@B S
    Thank you for that advice. I didn’t even think of the dirt on top. Good thing I couldn’t pop it off yesterday. True have to be careful of the terminals.
    Well, my battery checks out fine but only after a couple hours the propane warning light comes on. The two way fridge is running along with a freezer similar to ARB and draws two amp hours. The only others would be parasitic draw from the jensen and televisions. Anyone have suggestions?
    @Mega, you are running your Alde on propane and battery, but the Alde displays gives a Gas Failure warning?  Is that what you mean?  Your battery is not the issue.  First, is your propane tank fully open?  Do you need to replace/refill your LPG?
    No. The alde wad not on. I may have to take picture. I believe it is the carbon dioxide alarm. After a couple hours of running my two fridge/freezers on battery, a red blinking light comes on where it says propane. From other things I red I thought that also meant low battery.
    That is a carbon monoxide/LP detector.  If you are on shorepower, will the CO/LP detector alarm?  Is there anything in front of the alarm blocking air flow?  Any cleaning agents used near the detector?  If you turn on your fan and open your windows, does the alarm stop?  Sure you don’t have an LPG leak?  You can get a plug in version and check the installed version against the plug in.

It could be a temporary overdraw of the battery when the frig cycles causing it to alarm.  If no problems on shorepower, I would suspect overdraw and voltage drop.  Turn off your frig and see what happens.  All else fails, get a new one.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/849/carbon-monoxide-lp-detector-will-not-reset
    No vocal alarm. Nothing blocking. No problem on shorepower. I will have to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.
    Turn off your frig and see if it happens again or nit.
  • NomadPilgrimNomadPilgrim Member Posts: 111
    I was about to check my battery but after @gulfarea's comment no way! 
    2016 T@B Maxx CS-S  following a 2008 4Runner Ltd

Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.-
    Paulo Coelho
  • gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 504
    It is rare but very powerful explosions have occurred. I strongly suggest wearing eye protection while working around flooded battery's. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge