De-winterizing and Sanitizing the T@B

Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
I created a PDF with instructions for de-winterizing and sanitizing.  Since there are various ways to winterize, I outlined the differences and how to proceed accordingly.  This topic comes up A LOT and it will be helpful to have a handy document available for our spring-time ritual.  I may be too late for some of you for this camping season, but there are some out there who have not yet done the deed!   Hope you find this helpful!  I will put it over in the User Manual/PDF area for future reference.

(Thanks to those who contributed - you know who you are!)

Sharon 
Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio

Comments

• KarrieKKarrieK Member Posts: 3
    So how necessary is the bleach portion?  We do add sanitizing solution to the tank when in use.
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    I am not familiar with any fresh water tank additive.  What brand?
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    Camco makes a fresh water tank sanitizer that leaves no after taste.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

@KarrieK, Bleach is cheap and effective, but some folks can’t tolerate the smell.  Any sanitizing solution available is fine.  Some use a vinegar solution.  After sanitizing, using city water with chlorine probably helps keep things sweet.
  • DougWWDougWW Member Posts: 87
    Thanks Sharon. Very timely... we should be getting Smoky T@B out of mothballs in a week or so.
    ...Doug

2021 T@B 320S Boondock, Chevy Avalanche, Happy wife.
    Let me know if anything is not clear.  I may add pictures another time.
  • DoraDora Member Posts: 5
    Excellent and easy to follow instructions on De-Winterizing and Sanitizing. I had page 49 of the T@B Manual open in front of me so I could refer to the correct valve positions along with the step by step instructions.  It was helpful to understand what is needed prior to starting the procedure. Does anyone have a clear picture of the 320 S Hot Water Drain Valve in camping mode and in winterizing mode? I can't make it out from the picture in the Manual.
    The pictures show a closed Hot Water Drain Valve.  The valve is turned crossways to the plumbing line.
  • ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    I'll add that that is generally true of any quarter-turn valve. Parallel to the line = OPEN, perpendicular to the line = closed.
    2015 T@B S
  • DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    BUMP

it's 91F on my back porch in Texas today, so I thought I'd dewinterize, and bump this thread back up.  Reminder:  Splashless laundry Clorox is NOT for sanitizing or disenfecting.  Use the Disinfecting Clorox or equivalent to soak in your fresh tank and lines (but not Alde tank). 
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• SactoSteveSactoSteve Member Posts: 32
    So,...
    that 1/4 cup per gallon of water. Does that mean 7.5 Cups for a 30 gallon T@B400 fresh water tank? Or, a 1/4 cup to one gallon solution added to a mostly full 30 gallon tank?

And why the concern with bypassing the Alde Hot Water Heater for the sanitizing?

Thanks,
    -Steve
    -steve
    2019 T@B 400
    2018 Audi Q5
    Sacramento CA
    @SactoSteve, plan on using 1/4 cup of bleach for every 10 gallons of fresh water.  Different sources recommend different dilutions, but this gets you in the ballpark.  You want to dilute the bleach into a gallon of water first, then add it to the fresh tank, then fill the remainder of the tank with water.  

Bleach is not good for the Alde stainless steel, hence the bypass.
    @SactoSteve, I had the same question when I first sanitized my T@B and incorrectly went with your first interpretation. My water system was certainly sterilized but the T@B was burping Clorox fumes for weeks!  :-)
    Do what Sharon says!
    2015 T@B S
  • SactoSteveSactoSteve Member Posts: 32
    Ohhh kay,  i guess i’ll be spending today flushing and flushing and flushing. :). With the consolation of knowing I’m not alone. ;). Thanks for sharing your experience. 
    -steve
    -steve
    2019 T@B 400
    2018 Audi Q5
    Sacramento CA
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Nice, I would Fill the tank run some water the other various taps, then let it sit for an hour or two, then flush, repeat until bleach is flushed out.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • CherokeeCherokee Member Posts: 120
    Thanks! Though it almost never freezes in Sacramento, theirs a lot of good information here! 
    1999 Jeep Cherokee XJ (2" lift and 30" tires) 2019 T@B 320 Boondogle
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The domestic hot water coil in the Alde is made of stainless steel; stainless steel will have an adverse reaction to bleach.  Once of twice won’t hurt it, but constant exposure will cause it to corrode...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
    Ohhh kay,  i guess i’ll be spending today flushing and flushing and flushing. :). With the consolation of knowing I’m not alone. ;). Thanks for sharing your experience. 
    -steve
    Don't feel too bad @SactoSteve --not only did I use way too much bleach I completely ignored the directions and ran it through the Alde HW tank as well...  :-/
    But guess what. Five years later everything still works just fine!

2015 T@B S