Annoying tailgaters

2»

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    tabiphile said: Worse yet is someone that pulls into your blindspot and hovers there without moving by. 
    This is a good point for all of us to consider, especially when towing.  Best practice is to stay in the right hand lane, except to pass, at least when there are only two lanes of travel on your side of the highway.  Some states require that for big trucks and RVs.  We too should avoid, whenever possible, hovering in another driver's blind spot.  Either get ahead of the other driver, or hang back a bit so they can see you.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Yep, blind-spot hoverers are awful, and should be removed.

I have my mirrors set to cover the blind spot. The regular existing side mirrors are set wide, so the blind spot is visible, and the clamp-on mirrors are set to view behind the trailer.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,354
    some photos of my back-up camera install using Yakima windscreen brackets:

12V wires going to left side taillight:

2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    The left hand lane is used for passing or going recklessly fast.  I stay in the right lane, except to pass a slower vehicle.  Then it is back over.  The only time I could maybe see a “legal” tailgate, is if you are getting ready to pass on a two lane road.  Otherwise, tailgating is foolish, obnoxious and downright dangerous.  Also remember, if there is an accident and a fatality, you are toast... My niece says she just closes up tight on a driver and then backs off to let them know she wants to pass and go faster.  It has been over 50 years since I took drivers ed, but don’t remember that being in the book...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2019
    I like this product for the side blind spots. I like to keep my main mirrors looking down the side of the vehicle and trailer. The view behind is not as much of an issue with the 320 as its only 6' wide. Many newer vehicles now come with built in wide angle secondary mirrors.
     https://www.amazon.com/Hercules-HER01205-Auxilary-Wide-Angle-Side-View/dp/B000ALJYEW

Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    On an interstate where there is lot's of room for passing...that's annoying. Worse yet is someone that pulls into your blindspot and hovers there without moving by. 
    That is what I was referring to.  It seems that on the interstate people like to get in behind the trailer and tailgate close in, in an effort to draft behind the trailer.  

On single lane roads I make it a practice to pull over or stay far right in a slow lane in an effort to let traffic flow freely.  Nobody likes getting hung up behind a travel trailer or RV.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,484
    Nobody is getting any draft off our TaB going 60 mph🤣
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Didn’t James Bond have twin 50 cals mounted under his back bumper?
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Well, I’m hoping my F-150 allows me to go faster than the 60 mph I’ve been driving!  65 would be heaven!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,498
    tabiphile said:
    On two lane roads folks may simply be trying to get a look around you so that they can pass. A trailer in tow is a big visual obstruction that is very hard to see around and size up for a pass. They are also shortening up the distance that they need to cover when they finally make a move to go by. 
    The problem with this is that it makes it harder for the vehicle with the trailer to quickly slow down to take a turnout to let the tailgater get ahead. It also makes it harder for the trailer driver to see the idiot tailgater so that the trailer driver knows that it's time to take a turnout. It's just stupid behavior, any way you slice it.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Verna said:
    Well, I’m hoping my F-150 allows me to go faster than the 60 mph I’ve been driving!  65 would be heaven!
    You won't have any trouble with that.  You can do much more, but that might not be the smartest idea  :)
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @gspdx, I installed one of those insurance company beacon me yesterday, designed to say me money. It will not allow me to go much faster!  It seems to like my driving so far 😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    @Verna - slow and steady wins the race!
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • CaschettaCaschetta Member Posts: 12
    Just finished 4000 miles from SoCal to Alberta with our 400. No problems with tailgaters. Front and rear shades open allowed decent rear-center visual. Side mirrors on the Xterra are fine for side view. Not sure why anyone would need a camera. Drove mostly in right lane. Most drivers move out and pass to the left. Biggest concern are other trailer haulers/truckers driving like idiots, swaying on or over lines, not tailgaters. BUT, if you're from SoCal (we're in SD), we're kinda of used to tailgating morons and distracted drivers. It's the norm here.
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    I always had great respect for professional drivers/truckers, and have expected them to be the ultimate example of good driving standards. Over the last number of years however, it seems to be different on the road, as though there's a new breed of pros, that don't care much for that high standard.

I suppose it could be that they're now dealing with much sloppier drivers in the 'general public', as I think any standard for skillful driving has dropped across the board.

Distracted drivers are the norm. I don't understand why that trend hasn't been corrected!
    Caschetta said:
    Just finished 4000 miles from SoCal to Alberta with our 400. No problems with tailgaters. Front and rear shades open allowed decent rear-center visual. Side mirrors on the Xterra are fine for side view. Not sure why anyone would need a camera. Drove mostly in right lane. Most drivers move out and pass to the left. Biggest concern are other trailer haulers/truckers driving like idiots, swaying on or over lines, not tailgaters. BUT, if you're from SoCal (we're in SD), we're kinda of used to tailgating morons and distracted drivers. It's the norm here.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • CaschettaCaschetta Member Posts: 12
    ChanW, I agree. Most truckers are exceptionally skilled with their rigs. I see that more often than not. It's just those few that fly by and wobble a too close for comfort that are my concern. Our new 400 is my first trailer towing experience. Lots of white knuckle moments. Other trailer towers seem to be of more concern in my short experience towing. Cruising through Salt Lake City area on the 15, atrocious road conditions due to construction, someone with a large horse trailer (empty) flying in the fast lane over 70, constantly on and off the lane divider, was drifting waaaaaay to close for my comfort. 
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    ChanW said:
    I always had great respect for professional drivers/truckers, and have expected them to be the ultimate example of good driving standards. Over the last number of years however, it seems to be different on the road, as though there's a new breed of pros, that don't care much for that high standard.

I suppose it could be that they're now dealing with much sloppier drivers in the 'general public', as I think any standard for skillful driving has dropped across the board.

Distracted drivers are the norm. I don't understand why that trend hasn't been corrected!

I agree Chan and I see it too.  I have always tried to help the big rigs by giving them a quick flash of the high beams during daylight hours or “lights on and off” IF I happen to be traveling at night so they know they have the clearance to get back into the right lane.  The seasoned guys normally do the tail light “thank you” if you will and the younger drivers take it for granted.  You KNOW who is lacking in experience when a driver pulls back in in front of you about 4’ off your front bumper!  

The issue too is is that so many drivers whether semi drivers or the general public are distracted with their cell phones.  You see it daily and anymore it’s rare not to see one in four cars or even big rig drivers with one hand on the wheel and cell phone in the other texting, etc.  Very irritating when the traffic light changes,  one lane is moving and the other lane is at a dead stop for 8-10 seconds while some selfless individual is sitting in their vehicle looking down at their lap texting and holding up others behind them,  This is why there are increasingly more head-on fatalities, roll over accidents, etc. and why more stringent laws and technology (to end texting while a vehicle is moving) need to be implemented nationally.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    edited July 2019
    I thought this was a great idea, but don’t know if it’s still in use by the Illinois State Patrol, nor if it’s spread to other states
    https://local12.com/news/around-the-web/illinois-state-police-using-a-unique-way-to-catch-distracted-drivers-09-13-2018
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner