Remove Fresh Water Tank from under Sink to attach externally as needed.

Would it be possible to remove the Fresh Water Tank from under my sink then connect it externally as needed?  I need the space under the sink and haven't used the water options, yet want to keep those options available for future trips.  We usually camp with a large group, and having a place for my pots for cooking is more useful than that tank. I saw the article about how to remove it, but I want to be able to connect it (not back into the cupboard) should I need it in the future. Anyone done that?
2014 Little Guy T@B S Max

Comments

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I don't see why not.   You would just need to extend the hose from the water pump to where ever the water tank is placed.   Keep in mind the water tank full will weigh 90 poundish
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • KarenKKarenK Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for replying.  One hose doesn't sound so bad, but... good point about the weight.  It looks so small I figured it'd be portable.  Maybe one day I'll find something with wheels, or a way to attach it to the trailer?  There must be a way!  
  • ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Remove it and install the 'under floor' fresh water tank that NuCamp is using now?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Why not use a number of say 5 gallon containers?

They are more manageable in size and weight and when it cracks or punctured you won't lose all your water.

Keep in mind that you may take a significant hit on resale value
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    Seems like Robert Fuss did something like this with his TaB.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Alternative possible solution: collapsible cookware. I can fit a 3 qt pot, 1 qt pot, large serving/mixing  bowl, and two smaller bowls in less space than one regular pot took up previously. That might bypass having to move the tank at all.

As far as a wheeled tank goes, there are things like this you could adapt. But again, the weight when full is a factor you may need to consider depending on your planned usage. https://smile.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Hydroller-Wheeled-Container/dp/B001QC78GK/
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    Cbusguy said:
    Why not use a number of say 5 gallon containers?

They are more manageable in size and weight and when it cracks or punctured you won't lose all your water.

Keep in mind that you may take a significant hit on resale value
    The water jug on a Dutchmen T@B is 5 gallons. In the rare campground where I do need to use the jug, I bring a portable dolly to haul it from the back of my truck to the camper. A longer hose would work, and just set the jug on the ground.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
    5 gal @ 8# ea. is around 40 pounds, not 90... Still a little heavy, but not much more than a bag of dog food.

Also, the pump will prefer that the tank be close, and not too low...
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    @ChanW the stock water jug in my trailer is 11 gallons and it weight would be 88 plus the weight of the container.    
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @Cbusguy, the earlier T@Bs had 5 gallon fresh water jugs as @Mouseketab mentioned in her previous post. The 11 gallon under body fresh water tank was introduced in the late 2014/early 2015 T&B models. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    @Verna yep pick that up from mouses post.   
    Sorry @Cbusguy, wasn't correcting you so much as just letting the OP know that the weight wouldn't be quite as impossible to work with!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
    Thank you everyone; I feel better knowing others don't think my decision to remove the tank is nuts.  The under belly tank modification is costly, my current under sink tank is 5 gallons and I like my cast iron pans. I tried to remove the tank, but couldn't loosen the connection to the hose that is connected to the pump, so gave up.  So far we haven't used anything with the water and when I had my pop-up prior to the T@B, we never used the water.  It's just easier to brush our teeth with a cup in the bushes or use the facilities (if there are any).  I'm planning ahead to my goal of spending more time in the camper and less in the house. Two in college and one left to go!  BUT, I can't help thinking that tank is just taking up space (UGH) and it's messing with my 'zen' as I describe it to my kids...
    By the way, Verna, how did you mount your three prong coat hook by the door?  I can't get the drill to drill into the wood!
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    KarenK said:
    Thank you everyone; I feel better knowing others don't think my decision to remove the tank is nuts.  The under belly tank modification is costly, my current under sink tank is 5 gallons and I like my cast iron pans. I tried to remove the tank, but couldn't loosen the connection to the hose that is connected to the pump, so gave up.  So far we haven't used anything with the water and when I had my pop-up prior to the T@B, we never used the water.  It's just easier to brush our teeth with a cup in the bushes or use the facilities (if there are any).  I'm planning ahead to my goal of spending more time in the camper and less in the house. Two in college and one left to go!  BUT, I can't help thinking that tank is just taking up space (UGH) and it's messing with my 'zen' as I describe it to my kids...
    99% of the time, I go to places with city water hookup, so, upon arrival, just move the tank to my truck bed, and use the lower cabinet for pantry storage.
    Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    ChanW said:
    5 gal @ 8# ea. is around 40 pounds, not 90... Still a little heavy, but not much more than a bag of dog food.
    Not Rocky's food...😉

Verna said:
    @Cbusguy, the earlier T@Bs had 5 gallon fresh water jugs as @Mouseketab mentioned in her previous post. The 11 gallon under body fresh water tank was introduced in the late 2014/early 2015 T&B models. 
    Mid 2015....mine is an early 2015 (Spring 2014) and has the 5 gallon.

I talked to Austin about upgrading to the 11 gallon and it really is not really an option.

I use spare water jugs. I am intrigued by @Karenk's idea. Although, after 5 years I am inclined to keep things the way that they are.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

KarenK said:
    By the way, Verna, how did you mount your three prong coat hook by the door?  I can't get the drill to drill into the wood!
    @KarenK, there are differences between your Dutchman and my former Pleasant Valley (name prior to nüCamp) T@B S Max. I predrilled the hole(s) into the wood with a drill bit. Maybe @Mouseketab, who still owns a Dutchman T@B can answer if where you are drilling is metal or wood. 

Abd I absolutely love that coat hanger. @jkjenn is the one who introduced us to them. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Hi Verna,  my T@B S Max was built in Pleasant Valley.  I tried a drill bit, and just the top sheen comes off and it refuses to drill any further.  I don't know how to figure out what is behind there.  It looks like wood to me...
    edited August 2019
    @KarenK, you might be drilling into a screw. While I know you already have a divet in the wood, move the drill bit up or down 1/2” from your original location. 

Pocket screws are used in the construction of the wooden parts of the T@B. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    KarenK said:
    Hi Verna,  my T@B S Max was built in Pleasant Valley.  I tried a drill bit, and just the top sheen comes off and it refuses to drill any further.  I don't know how to figure out what is behind there.  It looks like wood to me...
    That happened to me and I needed up stripping the screw. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

I tried a second hole about 1.5" down and also couldn't even get past the varnish on the wood.  I put a different hook that matches in color but is a stick-on which I placed over the divets, and mounted the hook on the outside of the wood right next to the door.  That is definitely wood.  I hadn't properly thought this through - the television is mounted to the right of where I was trying to mount the coat hook.  I wonder if there isn't a metal box mounted in that area made to look like wood?  Is there such a thing?