Options

Alde on low all winter?

I winterized about a month ago. I have my 400 in a carport like storage area with a 30a service included, non metered. Today I set the Alde to 50f, 1kw. My thinking is as long as it is there and I am paying for it as part of my monthly rent, why not keep a little heat over the winter to keep condensation at bay? We live in a fairly dry climate and I have a dri z air in the unit already.

Worst I can see is wear and tear on circulation pump and the Alde electric element.

Any reason not to leave the heat on?
2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite

Comments

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    You will want to check your glycol levels at intervals.  If you live in a dry climate, I do not think that you have anything to gain by heating the unit while in storage.  Is it possible that the warmth may attract 4 legged creatures?  I think you may benefit more by circulating air with a small ac fan.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @Sharon_is_SAM thanks. I believe this storage facility has rodent control in place. It is basically in a residential area (but on  edgeof town) with the entire facility being paved. It is an almost brand new place, security cameras everywhere and two electronic gates to get to Tab. Manager lives on site and it is five minutes from house so easy to check once in a while.
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    @Sharon_is_SAM thanks. I believe this storage facility has rodent control in place. It is basically in a residential area (but on  edgeof town) with the entire facility being paved. It is an almost brand new place, security cameras everywhere and two electronic gates to get to Tab. Manager lives on site and it is five minutes from house so easy to check once in a while.
    Mice was my first thought, but when you said fully paved, that could help prevent. I’d still be a little gun shy, but since they have cameras... you’ll be safe! Lol
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    Mine is in a locked shed on our property, just off the driveway. I only turn the heat on when I’m going to go out and watch a movie or work on some mods during the winter. I do have it plugged in all winter, but I do not want to invite any little critters to come in over winter in my tab. I think it’s a personal call for you, but that’s my two cents.
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    grubbstergrubbster Member Posts: 114
    I would get a small portable electric heater to use.  I would much rather put wear on a $50 heater than my expensive Alde.
    2023 F-150 Powerboost hybrid
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,489
    Also, I am not sure I would want to leave the Alde unattended for that long.  I am recalling how one owner’s Alde had a giant, hot spewing glycol mess - and they were there to control it, so damage was controlled.  I would not leave an unattended portable heater turned on either.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    edited November 2019
    N7SHG_Ham said:

Worst I can see is wear and tear on circulation pump and the Alde electric element.

Any reason not to leave the heat on?
    You just stated the reason I wouldn't do. I'm not sure these things are really designed to be operating full time.
    Is condensation really a problem, and if so is heating the space a bit really going to control it? I haven't heard much about water damage from being in storage. My guess is the risks associated with running the Alde all winter outweigh any benefit it might offer. YMMV.
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Some valid points. If set fairly low, the Alde is going to be in standby a lot of the time. With hot water off, I have confirmed that the boiler does not come on and use any power if below the set point. Of course the pump is off too when below set point.

How often does an electric element in a home electric hot water heater need replaced? Not often. It seems only moving part is the pump.

I may shut it down after trying it a day or so, was just curious if anyone else did what I was suggesting.

Have also thought of maybe putting a gun safe heater in the Tab, while pretty dry climate, anything to keep condensation away is good. I use the mositure absorbers in my truck tool boxes and then do need changed periodically.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited November 2019
    If it is winterized correctly there is no reason to heat it.

I have half a dozen moisture rid disposable dehumidifiers open in ours and one on the fridge for good measure.   Hopefully they will stay a head of condensation issues
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,421
    N7SHG_Ham said:
    Some valid points. If set fairly low, the Alde is going to be in standby a lot of the time. With hot water off, I have confirmed that the boiler does not come on and use any power if below the set point. Of course the pump is off too when below set point.
    My last trip of the season saw temperatures dipping near the freezing mark. I used the Alde on electric set fairly low to keep the temp ~56F. While I was impressed at how well it maintained the temp, I also noticed both the elements and the circulator cycled much more frequently than I expected (and that was with me heating the space as well). I  didn't time it but I'd say something was clicking on or off every 10-15 minutes or so.
    The T@B is not exactly super-insulated and I think the Alde's gonna run more than you think...
    2015 T@B S

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I've kept the Alde on low for long periods, but now only during our short freezing snaps.  Last winter the thermal fuse on the control panel died, I think it was just fatigued.  Was cheap to replace $1 fuse and solder, but if you called Alde they would recommend a $300 control panel.

2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra