T@B 400 Air8 Kit

So, here's what I received from nuCamp. Notice what might be missing from this package? Yeah...instructions. That woulda been nice. Can I find them elsewhere...sure. Likely on this thread or elsewhere. But that's not my point. Come one guys...really? 
2020 T@B 400 "OTTO" (build date 08/19)
Factory Victron Solar; Norcold 3-way fridge
'04 Chevy Tahoe Z71 DinoKiller
San Diego, CA
www.airbossone.com
https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/owen-ashurst/shop

Comments

• davegctdavegct Member Posts: 18
    @AirBoss I think you will find the instructions as the Air8 service bulletin thats posted near the top of this forum.  Good luck with the mod!
  • dutsmillerdutsmiller Member Posts: 26
    Did that tube of sealant come with it?  I received a packet last week that included no such tube.
  • AirBossAirBoss Member Posts: 740
    davegct said:
    @AirBoss I think you will find the instructions as the Air8 service bulletin thats posted near the top of this forum.  Good luck with the mod!
    Yep, I've seen that. But again, my point is one would think nuCamp would furnish the instructions and not count on someone trying to pull it up off the internet. Expected more from nuCamp. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

Did that tube of sealant come with it?  I received a packet last week that included no such tube.
    Yes, the tube came with the kit. Guess that speaks to how nuCamp is managing this issue. 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    @AirBoss, nuCamp appreciates owner feedback and suggestions.  I emailed them and requested that instructions be sent to owners when DIY warranty repair materials are shipped.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    Good work, Sharon. Did receive an email from Aaron checking to see if I received the kit and he atta hed the instructions as well. All good.

Thought I saw where some folks have placed a 90 degree vent cover o er the exhaust to redirect exhaust air away from the intake. I'll scout around on the forum for that as I presume the issue they are trying to address is restricted airflow to/from the unit. 

Cheers all! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    The air deflection duct is a good idea to keep hot air from recirculating into the cool air intake,   worth looking into     
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Thanks for looking into this Sharon.  👍🏻
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    Good luck with this high tech mod.  I visited a dealer here in Texas before we bought our 2019 and discussed in length the effectiveness of this mod as well as the later one where they added the exhaust air deflector.  He indicated that one of his 2020 customers had both mods installed and they did a test while the trailer was at their shop.  The test results were dismal. They set the unit in their parking lot on a sunny July day in central Texas. It was in the mid 90s and the best the Air8 could do is get it down to 90 inside.
    Yeah, thinking nuCamp knows they messed up on this one. No engineer but cutting g BTU's in half and expecting same results seems highly problematic. Guess I'll stay outta the south during summer months...or just grin and bear it! 😄👍
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    I found something interesting today from Dometic's Swedish web site:
    • Under-bench air conditioner for vehicle up to 8 m
    • Cooling capacity: 2700 W / 9200 BTU/h
    • Under-bench position means the vehicle's height is unaffected
    • Quiet air circulation
    • Lightweight and compact unit
    • Soft-start feature ensuring easy start up even with low electrical protection
    • Can be operated even while driving (with optional DC Kit)
    This is called the Freshwell 3000.  You can find the details here.  Does this look familiar to anyone?  The EU declaration of conformity shows the unit is made in China:

But Mobicool is apparently part of Dometic.  So Truma may be sourcing their units from Dometic. 
    I wonder where Elwell got the AIR8 from...

Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Here is some information that I do have concerning the fix for the Air8:

1. The AIR8 is designed and manufactured by Bergstrom – a leading suppliers of AC’s around the world.  They specialize in units that get installed into mobile vehicles.
    2. The replacement is not a major undertaking.  The “fix” is simply a plug and play.  Same size footprint, different guts.
    3. Any dealer can do it…and they would want to…as they’d be compensated for it.
    4. Even still, while the work is straightforward, AIR8 will send out their own people where necessary.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
    Hey @Verna, RE: #2. Are you implying the Air8 unit is removed entirely and replaced with a different unit? If so, which unit? Perhaps I'm not following the thread properly. Many thanks for all you do for all of us! 
    San Diego, CA
    www.airbossone.com

• Redfish24Redfish24 Member Posts: 25
    Verna said:
    Here is some information that I do have concerning the fix for the Air8:

1. The AIR8 is designed and manufactured by Bergstrom – a leading suppliers of AC’s around the world.  They specialize in units that get installed into mobile vehicles.
    2. The replacement is not a major undertaking.  The “fix” is simply a plug and play.  Same size footprint, different guts.
    3. Any dealer can do it…and they would want to…as they’d be compensated for it.
    4. Even still, while the work is straightforward, AIR8 will send out their own people where necessary.

So now here is my dilemma.  2020 Tab 400 in the colors we like and confidence this will be fixed  or  2021 Tab 400 and take the few changes in stride.    makes my brain hurt.
    AirBoss said:
    Hey @Verna, RE: #2. Are you implying the Air8 unit is removed entirely and replaced with a different unit? If so, which unit? Perhaps I'm not following the thread properly. Many thanks for all you do for all of us! 
    @AirBoss, no. 

They are referring to the upgrade kit. If the owner wants to perform the upgrade, that’s fine, otherwise the dealer will do it (the owner to make arrangements which includes advising nüCamp and dealer of the problem) or if the owner cannot get to a dealer, Air8 will make arrangements to help with the upgrade. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    @Redfish24, if you have never experienced nüCamp’s word, it is hard to believe. But, once you do experience how they keep their promises and how much their customers mean to them, you will understand. 

In my decades of working for a large corporation and dealing with their business customers, I have never met another company with nüCamp’s “I am second” motto. First are their customers—us. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Redfish24 said:
    So now here is my dilemma.  2020 Tab 400 in the colors we like and confidence this will be fixed  or  2021 Tab 400 and take the few changes in stride.    makes my brain hurt.
    @Redfish24

While I agree with others that nuCamp’s customer service is typically unparalleled, I’m still going to say that I personally would wait on this one. The 10 known problem units cited in the CEO’s message is not fully representative of the issue. I’ve met or spoken with a number of 2020 400 users who have been in wait-and-see mode on even reporting their AC issues under warranty, figuring that nuCamp would come out with a fix (yes, I’ve encouraged them to report anyway). Others bought late in the calendar year or over the winter and haven’t been able to fully test their AC units, so how are they supposed to report a problem? Heck, someone just posted about one being inadequate in Florida this very week. I do believe the problem will eventually be fully resolved, but I don’t believe the full scope of it is limited to ten units, not by a long shot. And why buy a known problem when waiting just a few more weeks may get you a rig without that potentially major issue?

Meanwhile, it appears from other posts that the Air8 isn’t even being installed on the latest units? If that really is the case, then I seriously would not even consider the Air8 equipped 400, as in my mind, that’s a major vote of “no confidence”.

I’ll add that color isn’t everything. Because of various things that went sideways on my end (not a nuCamp problem), I had to settle for a color different from what I’d planned when I bought my 320. In the grand scheme of things, it was a non issue. You can always accessorize the new interior grey with whatever color you want.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW