Options

2021 400 sighting

2»

Comments

• Options
    treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    edited February 2020
    @rh5555  Last 4 numbers on VIN 1903. I think I have #3 in this series???
    Prototype? 
    I’m sure there will continue to be changes on the 400 as long as they are building them, just like everything else. 
    Nothing else under last panel, I already took it up. 

• Options
    JCALDJCALD Member Posts: 132
    What puzzles me is why NuCamp will not tell anyone they are going back to the CoolCat A/C unit.  No doubt they made a mistake on the Air8, but why not admit to it instead of just starting to product the CoolCat version again.  What will the 2020 buyers do if they want to travel to hot climates?
  • Options
    @N7SHG_Ham Roughly 132" from center of ball to center of axle. Do you what it used to be?
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    @treefrog I don't, but can measure my 2019, maybe tomorrow, I have to go to the storage lot.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    So the under bed area. How is the battery now vented, through the floor? I don't understand partioning the middle and passenger side areas, no way to put anything longer like a lawn chain under bed now. Looks like sewer storage could of still been included? Lots of plumbing to get all that fancy valve system hooked up! Wonder what the boxed in area at front of middle section is covering? Is that a strut lying on the floor there on the middle?
  • Options
    rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 487
    Nothing else under last panel, I already took it up.
    Is there not an Alde radiator back there? Pretty sure my 2020 has one.
    Wonder what the boxed in area at front of middle section is covering?
    Looks like it is just covering up wiring.  Seems rather massive for that.  The openings at the floor suggest it might contain another Alde radiator, but I don't see openings for the heat to get out.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited February 2020
    Look at the second photo top,of pg 1, the Alde heating unit is in their, vents are under the front panel.  This works, as the heat is sent directly to the cabin instead of under all the storage area, where it is cooler by the time it gets out, with the radiator in the very back.
    I like the compartmentation, and was thinking of doing something similar to my 2018.  I want to add the Alde Flo (red canister in top right corner) and will need to loose the discharge hose to do it.  my battery is already in the back space, and I need to close off the front where the wires and inverter are located.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I thought I read somewhere they moved to AGM batterys and the do not require venting the same way a standard lead acid does.     I would still like to have them vented to the outside.

I wonder what the solution for the 2020 400 Air8 is going to end up being?     Reports here seem to be the factory fix doesnt help much.      It appears they have stopped putting them in 400's
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    @N7SHG_Ham There are 2 vent tubes in the bottom of the battery box and 1 on the top.
    Storage under bed is probably same as 2019 but partition and narrow outside door limit large items.
    Yes strut is on floor. Needs to be relocated, door won't close with it attached.

@rh5555 Yes. Alde radiator is under last panel.
    Boxed area in front of storage area is for utilities and air flow to rear under bed radiator.
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification
    cheers
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    edited February 2020
    nüCamp told me ( 2019 models) that the vent to the outside was technically not needed, but it was installed just in case the 400 owner decided to install wet cell batteries. 

I’ve not seen the 2020 nor the 2021 models so I cannot speak for them. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    My late 2018 does not have a vented battery compartment.
    cheers
  • Options
    Thank you, @Denny16. My apologies and my post has been edited. One of the first questions a lot of 400 owners had was “what is that little vent above the passenger cargo door?”  If it is on your 400, it is to vent the battery compartment.,
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @treefrog, my 2019 measures about 138"-139" from center of axle to center of coupler. So if our measurements are close, it looks like the axle is indeed moved forward about 6" on the 2021 vs 2019.
  • Options
    The vented battery was added starting in 2019, NOT needed with factory supplied AGM or if you and LiFePo4 later, BUT in order to get RVIA approval, the battery has to be vented on the off chance someone later put a FLA under the bed. You will note that all 400's 2019 and newer have a sealed battery compartment with venting to outside, I just couldn't see the 2021 vent in the photos above, thus asking where it vented to outside.
  • Options
    BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2020
    Tree frog said “I don’t see how to fill tank when boondocking. 
    Maybe a short hose attached to city water inlet attached to a funnel elevated above inlet. “

We have a 5 gallon water container, I use a 3/4” clear hose and siphon the contents by placing the hose in the trailer fill when boondocking. Works great.
    2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Options
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/10455/2021-t-b-400-changes#latest

Check out the second photo of the Boondock model, look under the Boondock decal and in front of the running light. A new kind of vent for the batteries. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    @Verna thanks, I actually did see it later in one of the photos, just out of sight in the others. Actually looks like a better vent as far as keeping water out of the vent tube.
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    This is an incomplete photo of the center section of my 2020 T@B 400 under bed area, but best I have right now for comparison.  (My 400 has been at the dealer for 2 1/2 months and don’t have it right now.). The rear of the Air8 is at the lower left, and just to the right out of the picture is the inverter, in the same compartment.  The gray at the top is the sewer hose pipe.

It is interesting they have moved the inverter to behind the batteries. I would be concerned with the lack of air circulation back there to cool the unit.  (It would also appear there is still room for a sewer storage pipe.)  That would make that compartment where the Air8 was a little less deep, OR it could be to allow for the slightly wider Air8 should they come back to it?  I suspect NuCamp are going back to the Cool Cat until they have a working, larger Air8 replacement, which I have been told will be the end of April before it is available. We are getting our 400 back from warranty repairs this weekend, minus any fixes for the Air8; it will have to go back to the dealer when replacement a/c units are available.