2021 T@B 400 Changes?

Other than possible changes to the AC unit, what else have others heard about re changes for 2021 model year?  i saw on this forum mention of fabric changes with no more blue or red cushions, now graphite and cobblestone.  I also heard today of no silver exterior trim, replaced with graphite.  

I may decide to buy a 2021, so looking to see what replacement/different options etc. i need to consider.

Comments

• BirdieJaneBirdieJane Member Posts: 237
    edited February 2020
    Here are the new fabric option for 2021

Picture size edited - Moderator.

2017 T@B Outback white w black trim / 2019 Subaru Ascent White with black trim / Birch Bay WA.
    aka BirdieJane towed by Quinn
  • Redfish24Redfish24 Member Posts: 25
    Hey Dave,  I just heard back from the Nucamp rep that Trim colors will change.  a darker red, deeper blue, and a graphite color trim replaces the silver trim.  Trailer colors will stay the same with white and silver.
    There will also be a larger tub up front for a Propane tank and a battery and storage,  there will be an external propane connection on the rear of the trailer for connecting a grill or accessory. , lighter and thinner dinette table will also be used.

You have seen the interior color options already.

I just saw a video on youtube a few minutes ago by Princess Craft RV displaying the new 2021- 320S which showed off most of these same new features on that model that I learned of earlier today.

The Unknown or yet announced issue is will they be changing the AC or not. They reiterated that this AC issue is not as big of an issue as being played out. Its an isolated issue at this point but it is still being investigated.

I guess we shall wait to see what Nucamp does with this AC issue before making a leap.

edited February 2020
    This is the grey color trim that will replace the silver that you wanted.

Picture size edited - Moderator.

• rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    There will also be a larger tub up front for a Propane tank and a battery and storage,  there will be an external propane connection on the rear of the trailer for connecting a grill or accessory. , lighter and thinner dinette table will also be used.

Interesting...  If NuCamp are thinking of moving the batteries to the tub, that could imply that:

• They realize the converter needs to be close to the batteries in order to work optimally (converter currently under front passenger-side seat and too far from the batteries which are at the back, under the bed)
    • This would open up space under the bed for a bigger A/C unit
    • They've given up worrying about tongue weight (unless they're thinking Lithium batteries!)
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    Its a bigger tub upfront but it could be just for 2 propane bottles and storage at this point.. Some speculation maybe based what the larger tub on the 320 was used for.
  • davegctdavegct Member Posts: 18
    @rh5555 and @Redfish24 interesting thoughts.  i watched the Princess Craft video of the 2021 T@B 320S and that showed one bottle and one battery (I think?) in the tub.  i’m not sure if that tub (if it’s the same on the 400) will hold 2 batteries?  

The suspense is killing me on what they’ll do in the 400. Moving the batteries would make room for a bigger AC unit and the additional weight at the back could help balance the added front weight, if they do move the batteries up front somehow/somewhere.  Not sure i knew the point @rh5555 made re converter to battery distance. 
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    The converter charges the batteries, the further away the unit is from the batteries, the larger gauge the wire needs to be, to prevent line voltage loss.  Typically chargers and batteries are close by one another.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • treefrogtreefrog Member Posts: 95
    Maybe they will just move the axel forward and go back to the Cool Cat.
  • rh5555rh5555 Member Posts: 484
    edited February 2020
    The problem of converter to battery separation is even worse that @Denny16 points out.  The converter determines the state of charge of the batteries by monitoring the voltage at its output.  The voltage drop down the long leads makes the batteries appear to have a higher voltage (greater state of charge) than they actually have.  This causes the converter to switch out of its fast-charging mode prematurely.  End result:  It takes about 24 hours to recharge a 50% depleted battery.  Batteries close to the converter can do this recharge in 2-3 hours.  I spent quite some time determining this; one day I'll write it up for the forum.
    Roger and Sue Hill | 2020 T@B400 Boondock (Cryst@bel) | 2022 Land Rover Defender 110 - P400 | San Juan Island, WA
    True, but you can compensate for the line loss by using larger wires, up to a point.  A 12VDC system is more prone to line loss than a 24 or 48 VDC system, used in aircraft.  A 13VDC system would require wires twice the size for every given distance from the battery.  That is why charging wires tend to be 10 or 12 gauge copper wire.  A high amp cranking circuit would need 6 or 8 gauge wire.  The bigger the wire, the larger the pipe...
    Cheers
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    edited February 2020
    They will open up Pandora’s box if they change the Air8 back to a CoolCat so soon. Basically saying to everyone who bought a 2020 400, “Oops sorry, we were wrong..”  Unless they are going to retrofit all 2020 models with an updated Air8 - which I suspect they will. I suggest if you have a 2020 400 with an Air8, you let them know right away if you aren’t happy with it. 
    edited February 2020
    Missstsomewhere   I suspect you are right about changing out the Air8 here midstream in the production year..  However, Nucamp is a good company and I cant see them leaving anyone hanging with a Air8 that may or may not be functional.  I would hope that if they do change brands now then they will recall and replace the 2020 Units with a newer updated model.  I like the 2020 unit we found and even prefer it, but that risk is just to big for me to take at this time..   It's simply a design issue that didn't work based upon a lot of factors. 
    2021 new grey trim color

edited February 2020
    Did you get a look inside? 
    Sorry I did not have any inside pics. There is a thread on here labeled "2021 400 sighting" that shows full inside pics though of his new 2021 Tab 400.

And those photos show the battery all the way in the back center up against the back where the sewer hose store tube was (it was removed).
    cheers
    edited February 2020
    Interesting. I don’t have a sewer hose storage tube on my 2020 400.  My 2 batteries are already in the back along with the Air8. I thought that change was made to all 2020 400’s. Sounds like other than the fabric changes and trim, so far, nothing much else has changed from ‘20 to ‘21 that we know of. We have no idea about the a/c. That may change once they roll off the line. 
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Redfish24 said:
    2021 new grey trim color

AH ha!  Found the battery vent—just in front of the side running light under The “Boondock” decal. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited February 2020
    Redfish24 said:

So a Cool Cat is going into a 2021 model 400, though NuCamp say they’ve only received “fewer than 10” customer claims about the Air8, and stating they are committed to the Air8.  As a 2020 owner, I would appreciate some clarification from the company after seeing this photo.  If they feel so strongly about the Air8, that it’s an isolated issue, then why the Cool Cat? I’ve been trying to patiently keep a positive outlook on the situation with our a/c unit, but this doesn’t feel right.
    edited February 2020
    Let’s just wait and see.Too much speculation until we know for sure. When someone gets a 2021 Standard 400 delivered (dealer or individual) I guess then we’ll know. 
    edited February 2020
    This unit is not a standard 2021 production model, but was an insurance replacement for a wrecked 2019, so they may have been able to spec out the Cool Cat, since that what he had previously in the wrecked TaB400.
    cheers
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    edited February 2020
    I ordered a 2021 T@b 400 a few months back.  I just received a photo of it from the factory the other day and it has a cool cat. I'm glad it does as this is the same unit I had in my old A-frame trailer and it worked great.  They may be going back to the cool cat until they get an upgraded Air8 unit figured out. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    edited February 2020
    There isn’t a sewer hose storage tube on my 2020 400.  My batteries are in the back middle. Sounds like other than the fabric changes and trim, so far, nothing much else has changed from ‘20 to ‘21. That may change once they roll off the line. 
    I can assure you that is not how nüCamp operates. Based on my own experience and 6years of watching them go above and beyond for their customers, they will take care of you.

If you have an issue and have not already reached out via your dealer, you will want to do that right away.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited February 2020
    If you had an Alde Flo installed, it also needs the space behind the main Alde unit, where the sewer hose storage tube was.  
    Cheers
    edited February 2020
    My 2020 400 BD did not have any sewer hose storage. 
  • @bergger Did you order a Solo or the standard 400 model? Can you just ask NuCamp if it has a CoolCat and post the reply here. 
  • AmazonicaAmazonica Member Posts: 151
    The 2020 400 did not have sewer hose storage. At least the U.S. models didn’t. 
    My US model 2020 400 BD does have the sewer hose tube in the rear. It was 'born' on Oct 11 2019.
    2020 T@B 400 BD w/Solar, Microwave and Closet
    Towed by 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew Cab
    edited February 2020
    @Amazonica Oh wow. It’s a storage container specifically built in to store the sewer hose? Mine definitely does not have that. Can you post a photo, I’d love to see where they put that. In my back under the bed I have the general outside storage compartment, the Air8, batteries and Alde. 
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    @bergger Did you order a Solo or the standard 400 model? Can you just ask NuCamp if it has a CoolCat and post the reply here. 

We ordered the standard 400 model.  I emailed them several times prior to the build with my concerns over the Air8 and asking what a/c they were going to use.  I only got the standard answer that they were still in the prototype phase of the 2021 and until it was finalized they could not tell me what route they were going.  The first definitive answer I had was when Austin in the service dept contacted me and told me they had our trailer and were doing the upgrades.  He advised me it had the cool cat so I know at least the early 2021's are coming out with the cool cat.  I don't know the long term plan for them. If they will stay with the cool cat or try to upgrade and remedy the Air8 system.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado