sanitizing 2021 400 water system

We're a week into the nuCamp family now. I'm completely new to all these glamping accessories we're dealing with now. It's been fun learning the systems and figuring things out, but also a bit frustrating with the manual so out of date. I hope there is an update soon. Anyhow, I'm at a point where I'd like to sanitize our water system for the first time. I wanted to go through the draining process first, so I opened all the faucets and tank drain (located behind driver side tire) and the hot and cold low point valves on the nautilus system (at bottom center of photo). Everything drained well.

To drain the hot water tank, do I also need to open this drain plug that's below the Alde?

And to bypass the Alde during sanitation do I need to close these valves (located in the compartment with the Alde)?

2021 T@B 400 BDL aka Little Joe
2019 Tundra Crewmax aka Hoss
SE Louisiana

Comments

• BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    edited March 2020
    @cottonmouth, NO!!..........do not open the valve with the red cap.  Glad you asked.  It is the main/low drain for your Alde glycol fluid tank.  You would only need to do that when completely draining (and replacing) the Alde fluid.  Every couple years or so.  You can search on this forum for discussions about that.

You DO want to bypass the Alde tank when sanitizing the fresh water system, because bleach can damage the interior of the hot water tank (although once or twice won't be a problem, should you accidentally do that.)  I do not have the valve configuration you have (I have a 320 S), so maybe somebody has a photo that will clearly show you which valves to close to bypass the hot water tank.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• cottonmouthcottonmouth Member Posts: 91
    Thank you! That's what I was thinking. It certainly didn't look like a water drain, and glycol was what figured it was. So does the Alde just drain through the low point drains? I'll send a message to nuCamp Monday to get instructions. I was just playing around with the new toy in the driveway since we can't get away right now!
    SE Louisiana
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @cottonmouth, I have not yet had to drain mine, and it is not necessarily something you want to do on your own.  It depends on your comfort level, but it is the low point drain.  On my 320 S there is one other "bleeder" valve that can be used to relieve air in the line, but the valve you depicted is the main drain for the glycol reservoir.  Below is a very lengthy discussion regarding draining and replacing the Alde glycol reservoir.  Worth reading for the input provided by several forum members.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/2665/changing-out-the-alde-fluid/p1
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @cottonmouth, at least in previous models, the Alde water tank drains by pulling up the “yellow flapper valve”.  It drains faster (initially) by pressurizing the water system first by either hooking up to city water or by putting some water in the fresh tank and running the pump.  It may help to read how to drain the system in this winterization post:  

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/6r/eust2xvs5t11.pdf
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Yes, pull up on the yellow flip valve inside next to the Alde.  This is also the valve to press and release to get an air Pocket in the hot water tank top, see the Alde Manual for details.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    But there's two flip valves. One on the blue line (obscured by the clear hose), and the other on the red. I'll touchbase with the guys at nuCamp. I'm not sure how to bypass it either. Neither manual is very clear. In fact, they don't even mention a bypass.
    SE Louisiana
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2020
    The Red handle on the water control panel is the Alde by-pass (which controls cold water flow to the Alde/Flo hot water heater).  From the Nautilus Manual: “RED HANDLE: Receives water from cold water supply line
    Sideways - water goes to hot water fixtures without going through hot water heater
    Up – water goes to hot water heater”
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    @cottonmouth, the YouTube video by Creed of nuCamp regarding winterization explains the 2 yellow flip valves.  The one on the red pex line drains the Alde tank and the one on the blue line drains the Alde flow tank.  Open both of these valves to drain the Alde water tank.
    Thank you Sharon! I did that and drained the hot water tanks.

As for sanitizing, I was still a little confused because the Nautilus manual on pg 4 says the RED handle up - water goes to the hot water tank. RED handle sideways bypasses the hot water. However, if you follow the manual and the schematic instructions for "Sanitize", it shows the RED handle up, which would send bleach solution to the Alde. I sent that observation to Creed and here is his response:

" I would recommend having the Red valve sideways to avoid the Alde. But if you do end up getting cleaning solution in the Alde a good flush before turning it on will prevent any damage. Damage to the hot water tank occurs when you have cleaning agents or antifreeze in the tank and you end up turning on the alde. So either have the Red handle sideways the entire time, or flush the alde thoroughly before turning it on if you do get any in there. If that makes sense."
    SE Louisiana
    Let me look at the instructions.  They are not very intuitive.
    @cottonmouth, assuming the Nautilus instructions are correct, I agree with Creed - it appears that the red handle sideways bypasses the Alde.  But, the red handle manages water coming from the designated cold water supply line which, I think, is not in play as the pump is sucking sanitizer up from the bucket.  It appears that the water being sucked from the bucket is isolated from that cold water supply line, so, I am not sure that the red handle does much in this case.  I’m going to try to find a video that makes some sense.