Options

JENSEN JWM20 Cube Wall Mount Stereo

jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
edited April 2020 in Products and Accessories
With the new 2021 T@b 320's starting g to hit the market I thought will be just a matter of time before people start asking questions about the new Jensen Cube Media Entertainment System in the new units.

Features listed on the Jensen site:

Bluetooth® streaming audio (A2DP) and control (AVRCP)
    • Front USB with MP3/WMA playback
    • Front HDMI input for pass through to HDMI output
    • HDMI pass thru (plays HDMI audio input over speaker and low level outputs)
    • 30 station presets (18FM, 12AM)
    • 2 speaker zones
    • Rear AUX A/V input (RCA jacks)
    • Mono subwoofer line level audio output (rear RCA jack)
    • White LED backlit controls
    • Stereo line level audio output zone A (rear RCA jacks)
    • 24 Watts maximum
    • Clock with alarm and sleep timer
    • Remote control included
  • The 320 S comes with 2 rectangle speaks, which I believe are made by Furion.

Etrailer has many detailed photos.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    Good idea.

Now how about some examples of how to add a DVD Player.
    Unless the 2021 installed 12V TeleV units have built-in DVD players we're going to have an army of folks wanting to watch their currently owned library of DVD's and no NuCamp supplied solution.

Seems shortsighted to me, when Jensen has cube style units with DVD players.
    Another 2021 feature/improvement that makes me so glad I purchased a 2018 model year.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    Good idea.

Now how about some examples of how to add a DVD Player.
    Unless the 2021 installed 12V TeleV units have built-in DVD players we're going to have an army of folks wanting to watch their currently owned library of DVD's and no NuCamp supplied solution.

Seems shortsighted to me, when Jensen has cube style units with DVD players.
    Another 2021 feature/improvement that makes me so glad I purchased a 2018 model year.

It seems modern, to me. I think this was the right move.

The Cube allows you to easily stream content that you have downloaded to your phone, tablet, or PC via the HDMi input. 

Seems like if you really want your DVDs, you could use a porta le DVD player. Most media is consumed digitally, now.

I usuall download some things prior to a trip or grab a Starbucks wifi signal to download some content.

I spent 3 months in my T@b and only used the digital content.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    @jkjenn...I few of us are NOT tech  savvy😁.. we're still figuring how to bring some CDs...lol..it was one of the first things I noticed in the prototype we saw...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    ontheroad said:
    @jkjenn...I few of us are NOT tech  savvy😁.. we're still figuring how to bring some CDs...lol..it was one of the first things I noticed in the prototype we saw...
    It's a good thing you have an awesome community to help!

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    I hear you @jkjenn  but, even those of us that maybe reasonability Tech Savvy may lack the means . . . high speed internet for example . . . to be pre-trip loading movies while a library of DVD sit on our living room shelves.

The Portable DVD Players (battery run) I've seen don't have HDMI outputs to feed the Jensen Box.  For that one needs a larger 120VAC player . . . yes, those are available for $50 or so but then one's T@B 360 will need an inverter to power if not on electric hookups.

The trade-off between keeping backward compatibility and starting with a clean sheet can be a difficult choice. However, this is a case where NuCamp could have kept backward compatibility for another $50 of production cost.

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    AddisonAddison Member Posts: 56
    How do you play a movie from your phone to it? Also can it work if you gave netflix on your phone?
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    Addison said:
    How do you play a movie from your phone to it? Also can it work if you gave netflix on your phone?
    A couple of different ways. 

1. If you have an Android, you can cast to it by connecting a Miracast dongle, like the Microsoft wireless display to either the TB or the stereo. I have done this for 5 years, now.

2. Either Androud or iPhone can get an adapter that does video out to the HDMi port on the cube.

Yes, I download both Netflix and Amazon Prime videos for offline viewing.

@MuttonChops, I think that a very small minority desire the backward compatibility. I think most will adapt. 

If we look at the way peopme have picked up new technology during the pandemic, I am fairly optimistic about ow ers being able to adapt to a newer technology in the T@b.

And we have the most supportive community you will find, anywhere!

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    For media viewing, I built a raspberry pi server with dozens of videos, photos, and music on a hard drive. Plugs in to the HDMI and runs on battery voltage. I also have a firestick for YouTube and shows. I use a small three way switch for the HDMI input  
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    BywaysNWBywaysNW Member Posts: 71
    Not pleased with the Jensens in my 2021 320 Boondock. Jensen doesn't seem to have solved its Bluetooth problems, which seemingly have received a lot of irritated comments on this forum.  I got music from my iphone for a couple of days. Then the Jensen stopped connecting with either of our iphones, although the Victron and Echo braking bluetooth connections are still fine.  Why does Nucamp stay with a product that has a history of failing Nucamp's customers?
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    If I get an adapter from iphone or ipad (lightning to HDMI), and plug an HDMI cable from the adapter to the HDMI input of the cube, has NuCamp wired the cube and TV such that the sound will come out of the T@B speakers and the HDMI video get passed through to the TV?

I appreciate the clarification.  I admit to puzzling over how to use the TV at all without a DVD player but haven't really given it much attention as there have been plenty of other things to learn about our new T@B.  I had been thinking that the best approach was just to take the TV out and attach a holder for an ipad to the articulating arm...  but perhaps not.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.
    2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Bluetooth works after turning off power to Jensen cube and disconnecting battery. Will try the reset with  paper clip if it happens again.  Sound is excellent, btw.
  • Options
    @jkjenn i have the l8ghtenig to hmdi / usb powered, im able to,download movies to my phone but i cant get it to play downloaded netflix movies? 
    2021 T@b 320 Boondock | 2021 T@b Nights: 40  | 2019 Honda Ridgeline | NuCamp owner since 2017
  • Options
    Addison said:
    @jkjenn i have the l8ghtenig to hmdi / usb powered, im able to,download movies to my phone but i cant get it to play downloaded netflix movies? 
    I would start by rebooting your device. What king of error do you get or what happens? I have an Android but I am sure we have plenty of Apple users, here.

• Options
    Jensen makes a cube with DVD.  Model is JWM60A. Would this be easy to substitute for the non-DVD model installed by Nucamp?  Available on Amazon for about $200.

• Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    edited June 2020
    @BywaysNW
    The JWM60A is about twice as tall and twice as wide as the new Jensen "Cube" model Nucamp is now using.
    I think the wiring would be a fairly straight forward replacement, but it would definitely require cutting a bigger hole, if space allowed. You'd also lose the HDMI in capability, but I think a number of people would trade that for having a DVD player.
    I just stuck an Amazon FireTV stick in the HDMI input and that has been really nice for me. I can download shows from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and YouTube on my phone and cast those to my FireTV stick for playback on the TV without any internet connection this way.
    It requires planning ahead a little bit to download before hitting the road (or at least before being at a location with no internet service, be it WiFi or Cellular Data).
    When internet is available, it works just like being at home and streaming. 
    So while a DVD player would be a nice backup, I'm pretty happy with the HDMI input functionality the Cube provides. 
    And at least so far, I haven't had any bluetooth connectivity issues yet on Android...time will tell I guess on this issue.
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    I tried a Roku Streaming Stick inserted into the cube's HDMI port with the USB cable for power into the adjacent port.  Downloaded something from Netflix to a Galaxy Tablet, powered everything up and mirrored the screen to the Roku.  Amazingly, everything worked - the video went to the T@B TV(monitor), the sound came out of the T@B speakers - I was surprised.  This can definitely work - I still wouldn't have minded a DVD but with a little fore-thought to download content this certainly provides an easy way to watch video.
  • Options
    @mntrails can you do this without using phone data or wifi? ( if you have it already downloaded from netflix)
  • Options
    I've dug into this a little further since I realized I was within range of my WiFi Router with the T@B parked in the driveway when I tried this.  The answer will depend on your device (phone, tablet, etc) and the device you plug into the Jensen Cube.  If your device supports Miracast (my Galaxy tablet does and its called 'SmartView' in the menu) and the Roku does as well, then the two set up a point-to-point wireless connection and can communicate without a WiFi network.  For each case, I think you have to figure out if you can 'screen share' or 'cast' from your device to what you plug into the HDMI port (Roku, FireTV stick etc).  A google search came up with a lot of videos for a variety of combinations that function... one would just have to check their case for the technology they have in hand.

The other option would be to get whatever adapter your device supports to materialize an HDMI port. Then with an HDMI cable, you can then go directly from the adapter to the Jensen Cube HDMI input. 

But bottom line, once you figure out how to go from whatever phone/tablet you have to the HDMI input of the cube, the video seems to happily show up on the T@B television and the sound comes out of the speakers.  Success!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    When i plug my iPhone into the hdmi adaptor tp the cube this i see, help?

• Options
    Addison said:
    Take a photo of the barcode and I bet it opens an app or connects your device.

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,501
    edited July 2020
    Addison said:
    When I scan that it directs the following web address:

Strange. 

Are you using a knockoff (ie non Apple branded) lightning to HDMI adapter by any chance? 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 725
    For any Jensen JWM20 Cube owners who want to power a Roku/Fire TV stick from the USB port on the Cube, here is a great little cable to make the install as clean as possible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8GU03A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
    2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller
  • Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    It's a shame the Jensen doesn't support USB 3.1 which has video streaming then the standard DVD players would work. But the HDMI supports video and audio to the television so any standard HDMI output device will get both video and audio to the speakers.  I did find a portable HDMI DVD player for under $100 but I'm not going to buy it - old tech now.

I've found the BT pairing great from my phone to listen to my phone's music.  We've also streamed from phone as a hotspot to a laptop for Disney, Netflix, Hulu, etc to HDMI without a problem. I haven't experience the previous version of the radio but I've had no issues yet with it.
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    marjamrmarjamr Member Posts: 26
    Have the 2021 Tab 320. Bought it in March but haven’t been camping yet, just driveway playing around. The remote control for the Jensen cube quit working already. A fresh battery didn’t help. Did an internet search but can’t find a replacement remote. Not very impressed with Jensen quality. 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @marjamr, since your T@B is new, you should have received a packet of manuals for the various components in the T@B. There should have been info to either fill out a card for their warranty or a link to their warranty website. 

ASA Electronics is the manufacturer of the Jensen. If you haven’t completed the warranty info, now would be a good time to fill them out. Then contact ASA Electronics and tell them your remote quit. They should be able to help you. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    marjamrmarjamr Member Posts: 26
    Thanks. Will look into that. 
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    Has anyone replaced the Jensen with another brand?  I haven't done much looking but in general the Jensen seems to be a piece of junk.  I have had more issues than anything else.  Bluetooth is flakey, DVDs sometimes work and sometimes don't.  

Just curious if anyone knows of a good brand for a replacement.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @gspdx if you’re unhappy with it, I would suggest removing it, take measurements of the opening, plus how much more room you could enlarge the opening. Then search, Amazon and electronics online sites for a suitable replacement.

It seems that all RV manufacturers in my size range are using Jensen, at least the models I look at when I visit an RV dealer (one of my sister’s favorite outings is to look through new ones and dream!). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    You can also look at Marine Radio/audio systems for additional choices.  That said, this is a small niche market, and not too much choice here, unless you go to automotive audio systems, which third party systems are also in decline due to new car electronics packages.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    EricinMiEricinMi Member Posts: 4
    MarkAl said:
    It's a shame the Jensen doesn't support USB 3.1 which has video streaming then the standard DVD players would work. But the HDMI supports video and audio to the television so any standard HDMI output device will get both video and audio to the speakers.  I did find a portable HDMI DVD player for under $100 but I'm not going to buy it - old tech now.

I've found the BT pairing great from my phone to listen to my phone's music.  We've also streamed from phone as a hotspot to a laptop for Disney, Netflix, Hulu, etc to HDMI without a problem. I haven't experience the previous version of the radio but I've had no issues yet with it.
    Could you post the link to the dvd player you found please? I will cast and try the roku stick also when we get our TAB but have a boat load of DVDS i would like to use too. Also just to further complicate matters (lol) is there anyone that knows about hooking up a usb external hard drive with mp4 movies to the cube or the TV?