Options

How are you going to camp in the "after"?

Comments

• Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    edited April 2020
    Having extra space is nice, but I still like going to a different location, like right on the coast, and wake up to new landscape or watching the sun rise reflected on the ocean.
      I am a photographer and like taking photos in new locations.  That is why I got a TaB to begin with.  After the travel ban is lifted, I plan to do more boondocking type camping, not a fan of of close quarter camp grounds.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jameskuzman, here’s a scrollsaw sign (not my work):

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,503
    Verna said:
    @jameskuzman wouldn’t it be nice if one of those garden flags had something like “We are still keeping our distance due to Covid-19”?  Even a removable decal for the door or front of the camper. 
    If you search "print on demand garden flags" there are all sorts of places that will print whatever you like. It's not a bad idea.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    Our home is on a couple acres on a lake.  If we “driveway” camp, we toss a couple sleeping bags on the dock and spend the night there.  The T@b is sitting in the garage.  It’s bought to travel with.  When some parks open, we’re heading out!
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I have thought about the fact that if you camp people may still want tours. I think you could throw up an album on Flickr with a unique name and ask people to go the album or do a YouTube video tour. 

I have found people pretty sensitive when they start getting to close and I back away.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 452
    It’s a virus that mutates.  Quite frequently according to reports.  There’s multiple strains out now.  There never will be “a vaccine” for it.  Just like the flu, it changes.  When you get a flu vaccine you’re getting one for a strain which “may” be prevalent that season.  If you wait for it to be gone you might as well sell the trailer and board up the windows. 
    Im nowhere near BLM land so I’m stuck.
     But, When parks open, let’s get out there and use these things.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    GatorEgg said:
    It’s a virus that mutates.  Quite frequently according to reports.  There’s multiple strains out now.  There never will be “a vaccine” for it.  Just like the flu, it changes.  When you get a flu vaccine you’re getting one for a strain which “may” be prevalent that season.  If you wait for it to be gone you might as well sell the trailer and board up the windows. 
    Im nowhere near BLM land so I’m stuck.
     But, When parks open, let’s get out there and use these things.
    X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    edited April 2020
    I don't know, or need more information before deciding how I'll camp in the after.

I'm eager like everyone else, and I'm not concerned about my own lifespan (may not have that many RVing years left anyway), but I don't want to negatively impact others. If next year's vaccine covers the top three strains, and eventually they find some therapeutics or procedures that work (everyone's still learning), I'll feel safe skiing the back-country again. But I may have to skip higher risk activities for 2020-2021 winter until the health care system thinks they have this thing mostly handled. But with use of masks and gloves, and assuming social distancing becomes normalized at grocery stores, it seems feasible to boondock or dry camp without being a burden on society, once travel bans lift (July? September?). 

Having a few southern states trying to open even as we speak (Colleyville TX nearby wants to open gyms, hair salons, and outdoor dining today), might be a good experiment.  If Texas and Georgia new cases don't skyrocket a month later with a new wave, maybe that will give us the clarity we're looking for.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Okay, everyone, this discussion’s original intent and it’s intent from here on out is “How are you going to CAMP in the “after”?”

There some subjects right now that are off limits because there are so many personal thoughts of what is right, and these are becoming argumentative. 

If our members cannot tell others how they plan to camp without interjecting political type of comments, this discussion will be closed and it will not be opened. 

If a comment of yours disappears, it has been deemed political, or argumentative, and has been removed from general member view.  Please private message me if you disagree, after you have read nüCamp’s Forum Rules. 

Thank you
    Verna
    T@B Admin
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Oh no!  I broke another thread!!  Honestly I was doing my best to stay apolitical.

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @Verna thank you so much for the reminder, and keeping our forum on track.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    @DougH, you have been doing wonderful—thank you. 

@Dalehelman, thank you so much. I have missed you on the forum and I’m glad you’re back. 

Everyone —“How are you going to CAMP in the “after”?
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    nhmikenhmike Member Posts: 94
    I apologize if my comments on Apr 21 were in anyway offensive to anyone.  Please use all caution you feel is appropriate and respect others that view things differently.  We can support each other though not necessarily in full agreement.
    2016 cs-s max
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    Isn't this a great community?!  
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    OlenaOlena Member Posts: 103
    After lots of thought (and I mean lots of thought), I cancelled my 2020 bookings at Ontario Parks. I am just not comfortable navigating this new situation yet - it is too new, the virus is too new - it is right in the name "novel" coronavirus. Campgrounds also bring people together from many different areas and from larger cities (like Toronto that is two hours away from me) where the infection rates are much higher. There is just so much vague and conflicting information out there right now - one article tells you to wash your hands and you will be safe and the article beside it is telling you that scientists think the virus is floating through the air as people talk (or, as Justin Trudeau has now famously said "speaking moistly" - believe me that broke the internet here in Canada). I think this summer I will take my T@B over to my sister's backyard in Wasaga Beach. Perhaps the beach will be closed, but at least I will be able to ride my bike along the shoreline and enjoy the vibe of the water, and I will have delicious meals cooked for me every day too! I won't feel safe until the science of the coronavirus is in and that will take nothing less than time.
    2021 T@B 400 Boondock Solo
  • Options
    webers3webers3 Member Posts: 404
    No change, just waiting for parks to open
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Options
    jameskuzmanjameskuzman Member Posts: 140
    Verna said:
    @jameskuzman wouldn’t it be nice if one of those garden flags had something like “We are still keeping our distance due to Covid-19”?  Even a removable decal for the door or front of the camper. 
    Oh, that's a good idea! I talked to some of our camping friends over the weekend and we were all in agreement on keeping proper social distance, disinfecting things, masks, being mindful of touching shared resources, etc. so any potential awkwardness has already been knocked out. Now we just have to wait and see if and when the parks will open back up and to what degree. 
    Jim Kuzman, Girard OH - 2019 T@B 400 - TV 2019 Volkswagen Atlas SE 4Motion w/ Factory Tow Package
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    I don't believe you are out of line asking someone to step back.     I have done it in line at the grocery store.

You simply ask if they mind stepping back or a simple no on the tour.   If they are offended you probably didn't want them in your trailer any how.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    awebsterlangawebsterlang Member Posts: 9
    In August, I'm hoping to do a 2-week trip meandering my way around the great lakes through both US and Canada. I'm hoping that by then the situation will have lessened. I had planned this trip for 2018, but instead got leukemia. I've since had a bone marrow (stem-cell) transplant, so I'm a bit hesitant to go. I've missed the past few summers camping and am dying to get back out there. Fingers crossed... any advice? Thanks
    Ann
    D@ISY
    2017 T@B S Max Outback; 2013 Subaru Outback w/Yakima rack
    Bennington, VT
  • Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @awebsterlang I would keep an eye on the hotspots and steer well clear of those.    I wouldn't camp in a parking lot style RV park either.

Good luck
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    In August, I'm hoping to do a 2-week trip meandering my way around the great lakes through both US and Canada. I'm hoping that by then the situation will have lessened. I had planned this trip for 2018, but instead got leukemia. I've since had a bone marrow (stem-cell) transplant, so I'm a bit hesitant to go. I've missed the past few summers camping and am dying to get back out there. Fingers crossed... any advice? Thanks
    Have a backup plan ready for camping more locally, maybe? I’d also map out a possible US-only route in case the national borders are not reopened by then, and you’ll want to stay on top of the status of each state you plan to visit, in case they have an outbreak or are trying to prevent one and start imposing rules on non residents (see Montana as a recent example, where for a time crossing the state border for a visit meant a 14 day quarantine). Given your prior health problem, I also strongly recommend consulting with your doctor closer to the date about whether or not it’s safe at that point for your specific issues, as well as any additional precautions they may feel are appropriate for you.

I’m personally hopeful that later this summer will be safe enough for some socially distant camping even for those at higher risk, but I’m not counting on it by any means. Right now, there’s still so much we’re learning about the risks, possible treatments, and how best to protect ourselves and each other while resuming more normal lives. Things will hopefully be a bit clearer over the coming weeks.

2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Your immune system is compromised just as my brother’s is. He is not living in fear, but he is being wise.  He only has contact with our family, and he wears a mask whenever he goes out. He is starting his fishing season Friday, but he’s still only fishing by himself or with family. 

So, whatever you do, realize that your treatment gave you another chance. Don’t be in a hurry, you can still gave fun camping nearby and review your meandering for next year. The last I heard, Canada’s border is not opened yet, so that would take away half of your trip. 

Take care in doing whatever you decide. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    mandtmandt Member Posts: 158
    The public bathroom and shower are of concern for the virus. Since the 320 has such a small black tank it means either more use of public restrooms or more runs to dump stations. Neither sound good. Considering a different trailer like Lance 1475. Not sure.....
    Mickey & Terri
    2016 Max S
    Kalamazoo Michigan
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @mandt : That's the one (the 1475) we were mainly looking at too. They made it four season (whatever that really means) in the last year or two like the rest of the Lance line, and we liked the non-slide version with two chairs (don't like dinettes) at the RV show.  Sadly they took away the huge side window near those two chairs in the last year or two.  Then there's the amount of wood framing and the weight. So we're still in our T@B, and waiting on the theoretical T@B 500 that's half way between a 400 and an Avia. The one with aluminum framing, >3" walls, weighs only 2500lbs, has 1000W solar, and auto-leveling jacks.   :)

• Options
    @mandt I will take precautions... listen to doctors, etc. 
    one thing I won’t do, though, is trade my T@B. Seriously-I look at videos online and am never jealous. It’s perfect & I love it!! If I *had* to change, I’d go for the 400. I like the extra space. Honesty, it’s currently not a problem bc I’m by myself so it’s just right. 🙂
    Ann
    D@ISY
    Bennington, VT
  • Options
    Also I tow with a Subaru Outback so am restricted weight-wise...
    Ann
    D@ISY
    Bennington, VT
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    We were originally looking at getting a Lance and just liked the T@B better overall.  If we hadn't found the T@B we probably would have a Lance.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @CrabTab We got some Aloe Vesta and I tried it last night. It felt great and didn't dry out my skin. I even used it on my head but I have short hair. Thanks for the recommendation.

I made up a gallon of it in a basin but that was way too much for one. I have a collapsible basin that fits right in the Tab 400 sink so I can dump it into the toilet when done.

This should extend our grey tank which is our limiting factor when dry camping.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    @Verna Is this too much?

Sorry, I have a strange sense of humor.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    @JeffroNC, I’m still trying to figure out our new 4 step and 5 step plans in Hoosierland and exactly when the campgrounds are allowed to open!  By the time the campgrounds open, I’ll probably be ready to face others!
    Verna, Columbus, IN