Options

How are you going to camp in the "after"?

13»

Comments

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,494
    Verna said:
    @JeffroNC, I’m still trying to figure out our new 4 step and 5 step plans in Hoosierland and exactly when the campgrounds are allowed to open!  By the time the campgrounds open, I’ll probably be ready to face others!
    Similar thing in WA. Today’s announcement was that Phase 1 would be mid May, camping is part of Phase 2, and there will be at least 3 weeks between phases. That seems to indicate they don’t plan on reopening campgrounds before June around here. 
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    May 24th for Indiana. IF all the stats fall into place, that is. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    Ohio State Parks open to camping the week of May 17th.  Not sure about private grounds.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    Since we're on the other side of the lakes..Ontario, Canada...and nothing is moving fast up here...which is okay by me... we've not planned on going anywhere...except would be nice if the border opened up say June 16 th so we could visit a certain factory...and see some familiar faces from a distance...could turn out to be a fun game... everyone's hair might make them unrecognizable...we were very lucky to already have 7 weeks of camping in this year already...oh and from a Michigan friend...mid/late June is when the  Parks should be opening there...
    Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @JeffroNC, just one question....How in the world does she keep a straight face????😂😂😂😂😂
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    monamona Member Posts: 241
    @Sharon_is_SAM Ohio private campgrounds are open for seasonal campers only. No announcement yet, as to when the state of Ohio will open state parks up to camping.☹️
    2015 T@b S Max  white with silver trim. 2018 GC Trailhawk. 
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Private CGs in PA are open now and state parks are expected to open for CGs on May 14 in PA.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,512
    @Mona - this is from Reserve Ohio.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    DeeGracieDeeGracie Member Posts: 5
    Likely not going anywhere this year .. but hoping to at least have our new T@B in our driveway in the near future!
    Prince Edward Island, Canada | 2021 T@B 400 BD On Order | 2016 Ram Rebel

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 911
    We have a choice of being ridiculously paranoid or sensibly cautious... I think I am half way in-between.  I assume everything I touch outside of my home has the virus on it... so I don't touch my face and wash my hands often.  What is really odd is coming in the house from grocery shopping and washing my hands both before AND after I go to the bathroom. :o  And as soon as I wash my hands I take the opportunity to rub my eyes!!!

I am optimistic that we will camp this year.  We have had distanced campfires with the neighbors with each of us 10 feet apart and I am hopeful that being outside also helps to make it less risky.  We hope to do that in a campground at some point... with lots of hand washing and space between us.

We need to be physically distanced but socially connected more than ever.  And remember... if your hands aren't chapped, you aren't washing them enough! ;)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    JeffroNCJeffroNC Member Posts: 366
    I have been unable to find unreserved campsites at Yellowstone and other popular locations for July. If it was 2019, I would expect this and would have made then six months out.
    Some musings:
    I can't imagine that folks who have suffered layoffs and reduced hours will be traveling this summer. Are there that many retirees? I think attendance at the parks will be low this year but I might be wrong.
    I have a theory that people who made reservations last year are just not cancelling them whether or not they plan to or are able to go. After all, it only costs $10-$20 to just not show up, right?

We will forge ahead and try our luck with cancellations and walk ups anyway.
    2019 T@B 400 BDL 2017 F150 3.5L Ecoboost
    Jeff & Amy
    Now in Manistee, MI

• Options
    CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    @JeffroNC many campgrounds cancelation fees are nearly the same as the reservation fee.   So there is no incentive to cancel them. 

My understanding is that third partys had bots that snatched up available campsites as soon as they were available for resale.    The high cancellation fees were meant to deter this.

I still find it difficult to get campsites at prime tourist locations even at the max booking window.
    2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • Options
    gspdxgspdx Member Posts: 208
    I know some here won't agree but we are going camping for a few nights right before memorial weekend.  I didn't want to go out on the weekend since I think many more people will be out.

Anyway - we are staying at a private campground we have stayed at before.  Found it on the Hipcamp website.  The property is a Christmas tree farm where they sectioned off an area and made 5 campsites on 20 acres.   No facilities so you need to be self contained.  It's a 2 hour drive from our house.  There is also state forest land near by and that is now open for day use so we plan to go hiking.  If that isn't workable - too crowded for our comfort - the national forest in the area only has developed sites closed - so trail heads, campgrounds, picnic areas. There are so many logging roads, with many of them blocked for vehicle traffic, that a nice hike in the woods is still possible while being safe and following the rules.  

Other than stopping once for gas - if we have to - we will be safe and respectful.  And I have my "protocol" when stopping for gas.  So I think we will have no more impact than we would staying here at home, getting carry out for dinner, or going to the drug store, etc.  And if one of us was to start feeling bad we would just come home anyway.

2019 T@B 400 BDL
    2018 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost with tow package
    PNW
  • Options
    SweetlyHomeSweetlyHome Member Posts: 336
    @JeffroNC, second @Cbusguy thoughts.  Also add in the simple wait and see strategy.  If its open we will go. if it's closed they will refund with out fees.  Plenty of incentive not to cancel.  A lot of this strategy mentioned in threads here.

Living in Florida we know there are plenty of retirees to fill things up. There also had to be a margin group waiting to retire that have had the decision made for them to go ahead and will want to travel.  It's been particularly tough on business here as the last 1.5 to 2 months of high snowbird season were wiped out.
    Jupiter, Florida~T@B 400, with 2018 Toyota 4Runner

• Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 911
    @gspdx - We are a family here.  No one should be criticizing anyone's choices.  Each person needs to do what they feel is right for them and their family... as long as they are mindful of taking precautions to not accidentally spread this if you are asymptomatic, washing hands, wearing masks and distancing themselves when they are "near" others.
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA