Options

Weight and Towing question

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2020
    If the dealer is willing to give you that load of BS, I'd find a different dealer!
    Ask them if they'll put that in writing, so they can take the liability!
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    Denny16 said:
    I do not think so, i get about 14mpg average towing out TaB 400 with the Jeep Gladiator.
    not m ugh better, but still 4 more miles per gallon.
    cheers
    Yeah, kind of in jest, but the truck is way more effecient, all that weight in a 53 foot trailer and a bigger frontal area and maybe 4MPG less than a small vehicle pulling a measly Tab, LOL.

The guys pulling a big fiver with a retired semi tractor seem to think it is way better than a HD pickup.

Most vehicles we tow RV's with do a dismal job compared to a truck that is designed for moving tons down the road.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    No argument there, yes they are.  Same with a train locomotive.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    I drove 140 miles today round trip to the RV place, and she said my Volvo would absolutely have no problem towing the TAB. I'm not convinced!
    lol  It WAS my first time seeing a TAB in person though. 
    Oh- the volvo will tow it.  And- you probably won't have an issue on flat, easy terrain.  Take it on a steep mountain road, with curves, wind, sketchy traction- and you might feel differently.

I know it was said above... but have you considered a 320?  You'd tow one of those like it wasn't even there.  And- given how easy the 320 is to tow... you're more likely to take it places.  

Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    morey000 said:
    I drove 140 miles today round trip to the RV place, and she said my Volvo would absolutely have no problem towing the TAB. I'm not convinced!
    lol  It WAS my first time seeing a TAB in person though. 
    Oh- the volvo will tow it.  And- you probably won't have an issue on flat, easy terrain.  Take it on a steep mountain road, with curves, wind, sketchy traction- and you might feel differently.

I know it was said above... but have you considered a 320?  You'd tow one of those like it wasn't even there.  And- given how easy the 320 is to tow... you're more likely to take it places.  

I’ll echo this—unless you’re planning on eventually fulltiming, the 320 is fine for a solo traveler. And some people even fulltime with them, though my personal preference at that point would be a 400. But for just camping? The 320 is fully self contained, and the rear half of the dinette makes into an easy bed for one leaving the front half the dinette for seating if you want. Especially if you’re the type to spend the bulk of your time outside, it’s really a great little rig, and it’s plenty comfortable inside at night or during foul weather.

And it wouldn’t require the added expense of changing tow vehicles first.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Hutch1Hutch1 Member Posts: 7
    In Canada,my 2017 xc60 t6(older model) has a tongue rating of 165lb,per Volvo manual.
    I tow a 2008 "Dutchman Tab " with an as delivered tongue  weight of 110lb
    Tow capaciy is 3300lb.
    Tongue capacity is limiting factor for me.

• Options
    jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
    Thanks everyone. As I hope to bring at least one of my Standard Poodles on some trips, the 320 may be too small. If I have both of them, too small for sure. 
    A second dealer told me today that I could tow it no problem without the water tanks full. He said he'd add in the weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bar. If I do get one soon, I'll probably rent a pickup to go get it and see how it does. I can rent a pickup for $300 a week. 
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    @jenniferlzr, you should not tow close to your capacity.  Certainly no more than 75%.  Think of the ability of your TV to stop in an emergency or even go down a long, steep grade.  Pulling on the flat is not a good indicator of a TVs ability.  And, a dealer wanting to make a sale will tell you most anything.  Lastly, now that you have been advised online to not tow a 400 with your TV, you need to consider your liability.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    Thanks everyone. As I hope to bring at least one of my Standard Poodles on some trips, the 320 may be too small. If I have both of them, too small for sure. 
    A second dealer told me today that I could tow it no problem without the water tanks full. He said he'd add in the weight distribution hitch with anti-sway bar. If I do get one soon, I'll probably rent a pickup to go get it and see how it does. I can rent a pickup for $300 a week. 
    There’s at least one woman traveling with two Bernese Mtn dogs in a 320, and several traveling solo with two large labs. But I get it, it takes compromising to fit into the smaller space.

As far as the dealers lying to you go, ask them to put in writing that they accept full liability when either you destroy your car or get into an accident and are found at fault due to an undercapable tow vehicle. You know what their response will be, right? 😁

A weight distribution hitch does not allow you to exceed your vehicle’s stated tongue weight limit, and many vehicles cannot use them. The construction of your vehicle is critical on this score, trying to redistribute weight incorrectly can literally cause stress fractures in the body of the car, endangering your safety and that of others on the road. 

Additionally, if you are towing above any listed weight limits, including tongue weight, your insurance can void any claims you make in an accident.

If you simply have to have a 400 rather than a smaller trailer, then you need a vehicle capable of towing it. Yours is not.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    CallingCoachRikkCallingCoachRikk Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2020
    Jennfierlzr,  I just purchased a T@B 400 used in March and also did a lot of research on which tow vehicle (it was clear my Mini Cooper wouldn't work :) ) to get. While I'm also not a truck-guy, after getting input from some other 400 owners I ended up getting a Ford Ranger this week. It's a midsize pickup very similar to the Tacoma but rated for 7500lb towing and some great included towing features. It's a bigger vehicle than I'm used to but, for me, much happier fit than a full-size truck.
    Rikk / 2019 Tab 400 / 2019 Ford Ranger 2x4 SuperCab / Near Yosemite, CA
  • Options
    DougHDougH Member Posts: 1,110
    @CallingCoachRikk ; The mighty Mini may not do 0-60 in 4.1 seconds while towing a 400, but never underestimate the power of a Cooper S!   :)

(Towing a stealth solar camper before I found the T@B)

2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 tiny toy hauler, Austin TX
    Former steward of a 2017 T@B S Max

• Options
    Not al Ford Rangers carry the 7500lbs rating, check the sticker inside your left door for actual capacity of the Ranger you bought.  Still, should be more that adequate to tow a Tab 400.  Just be sure to get a hitch setup to keep the trailer level when towing 
    cheers
  • Options
    dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 585
    edited May 2020
    @jenniferlz I'm solo and my first year (2018) with my 320S, I had two large Labs (90+ and 70 pounds) with me. The big guy was elderly with mobility issues to boot. I am so so so happy I didn't wait and didn't let it deter me as a newbie, never towed anything in my life, didn't know what I didn't know, mid-50 year old. I started with a 2006 4Runner (5000#/500# tongue) limit.

I spent months worth of time reading everything on this Forum and YouTube channels, Girl Camper podcast, and the Facebook groups to learn what I didn't know. The dream of a slightly larger trailer with a separate bed and dry bath is there, but then I would get a larger tow vehicle. I would not tow a 400 with my 4Runner.

Keep us updated!

Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• Options
    jenniferlzrjenniferlzr Member Posts: 59
    @dfsdogs Such sweet dogs! You sound just like me watching videos, FB groups etc... Trying to learn as much as I can. I like the solo FB groups. I've have to check out that Podcast! I'm SO done with searching for a TV. 
  • Options
    AustinRoamersAustinRoamers Member Posts: 45
    We love our Ford Ranger with towing package - rated for 7,500. Smooth ride, confident braking, never feels squirrelly. I was reluctant to drive a truck but it is so easy to drive and comfortable that I don't think about it anymore.
    Kat & Sam      Austin, TX        2018 T@B 400           "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    @jenniferlzr, I totally understand where you are at.  I absolutely love my 2015.5 Volvo XC60 and have been through the wringer deciding on a trailer that will fit my needs vs not overtax the XC60.   I decided that, while I would love to have 2 beds, there was no way a T@B 400 would work with my current car.  I expect the majority of my trips to be solo, so I recently purchased a used 2018 T@B 320S Boondock.  I'm still a little nervous but I think it will be ok.  If I decide I need anything bigger, I will be looking at a new tow vehicle.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    Looks nice, and congratulations.
    cheers
  • Options
    hamrxhamrx Member Posts: 16
    need to get a truck.  they also have bigger brake drums.  your ride will much better with leaf springs.  AWD is not useful in towing
    Former 5th wheel and now T@B 320s owner. Amateur Radio Operator. Pulled by 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4 x 4