Options

Cassette toilet

My bride and I bought a 2020 Boondock last fall and now when I see the 21's using the cassette toilet it has me wondering if it's easy enough to switch. Ours has never been used and the concept of the cassette (if I have it in my head correctly) really appeals to us.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    I'm sure it can be done, and if it was offered when we got our 2015 I'd have been ok with it, but it's not a big enough deal for me to make the switch.   You'll still have to go to dump stations for your gray tank,  so it's no big deal to pull the other handle for the black tank.   
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    1)  Any change now would be expensive.  Trade trailer or remodel.
    2)  I for one dislike cassettes and as @db_cooper noted you still have to visit dump stations. - - -  glad I have an older model, cassette only option would be deal killer for me.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    This is probably a question best answered by nuCamp’s service team or your local dealer. While I’ve seen people swap their toilets on older models for a composting toilet, I don’t think I’ve seen a mod for a cassette that pulls out through the side of the trailer the way the new 2021 does. Getting one through the narrow shower door, fitting it in place, possible changes to the plumbing, and, of course, cutting a hole in the side of the trailer for access to the cassette are all potential obstacles that make me doubt it’s an “easy” mod, but it might be possible depending on the dimensions of the cassette toilet.

The 2021 comes with a number of changes, including bigger fresh and grey tanks; without a larger grey tank, I agree with db_cooper that just changing the cassette isn’t a very big benefit. If I wanted the cassette badly enough, I’d buy a 2021 rather than trying to shoehorn the new toilet into a previous model.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    My bride and I bought a 2020 Boondock last fall and now when I see the 21's using the cassette toilet it has me wondering if it's easy enough to switch. Ours has never been used and the concept of the cassette (if I have it in my head correctly) really appeals to us.

Any thoughts?
    There are some real advantages to the casette, for sure.

I would see what kind of deal you could get on a trade if you would really like the casette toilet. Some people have converted both the 320 and 400 toilets to composting toileta, so I am guessing it could be done but not sure it would save you much if any money. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,492
    edited May 2020
    So, out of curiosity:

https://www.thetford.com/product/c402c-cassette/

This is the type of toilet nuCamp is currently using. The width is 26 3/8”. Width on the 2019 S bath is about 22”, and I don’t think the 2020 is any larger. I’m not certain it could be brought through the shower door, but even if it could, you’d need another 4”+ in width from somewhere to make it fit.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    Best bet is to find a dealer willing to swap out your unused 202 for the 2021, but you will need to add some $ to the deal.  ;)
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    I understand the advantages of a separate cassette for early dumping purposes. I don’t understand having an installed one. It is no big deal to dump tanks in fact I think it’s really simple. I understand it’s a preference, I just don’t understand why. 

@MontyParker the other more important reason to not modify your Tab for this is that you might run into real problems messing with the framing and infrastructure of your unit. On something like this, factory installed is your best bet. You can always call NuCamp to see if your Tab could be retrofitted for one. They would have the answer. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    I really started appreciating having a cassette toilet when we had our pop up.  You are no longer tied to a campground (with a station) or having access to a dump station.  A flush or pit toilet can be used if one doesn’t have a dump station handy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    edited August 2020
    Saw nuCamp is considering the cassette toilet. It's mandatory for a long trip into the pandemic, avoiding public restrooms and nasty dumps. Also Dry camping at Walmart, on BLM land, in my driveway or on street for guests; then there's mooch-docking at a friend's home, on beach campgrounds and parks without dumps where you can empty in a portable outhouse. Cassettes also have their own water so you don't waste scarce freshwater. Overland you could dig a trench and dump cassette. I'd pay extra for it. I'll be on long tours in CA and its necessary to keep me legal and a good citizen. Note: gas stations are closing their restrooms and fast foods are drive-through only and don't open their bathrooms. You eliminate the black tank and plumbing and gain space for something LIKE ADD A BIGGER FRESH WATER TANK. 22 GALLONS IS PATHETIC FOR BOONDOCKING. YOU HAVE 33 IN YOUR CIRRUS TRUCK CAMPER. Greywater tank plumbing becomes simpler and could have a hose bib to run a hose away from the trailer or fill a bucket to dump away from the trailer or recycle as supply water for the cassette toilette. It's an opportunity to really make the T@B 400 safer, more healthy, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly. Take it to the next level of Boondocking.
  • Options
    berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 997
    While I think it would be nice to have the cassette toilet in our new 2021 400, I really thought I wanted one,  I am liking our workaround even better now.  I am not a fan of looking for a dump station.   It's the last thing I want to do when I leave camp.  Now if I have full hookups I love using the toilet as intended.  It is really easy to do all that at your site and having the black tank flush is great.   No looking for a dump station and you can take as long as you like.  So if we do not have full hookups, which is most of the time, we do not use the black tank at all.  I do the majority of my business in the woods or campground bathroom.  But for those late night needs or when its just a little too chilly in the morning to go out we use our 400's toilet with a WAG bag inserted in it.  They work great and can then be tossed into any dumpster.    So I have to say now that we've used them a few times I like having the black tank so we have the option of using full hookups when available or just the WAG bag when and if needed.  I think its better than a cassette toilet.  We also make sure a bag is place in the toilet during those 5-12 hour long drives when we need to pull over and go.   Just my thoughts.
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,445
    The wag bag or similar options is a way to go, to extend the black tank dump, or by-pass the black tank.  Some have replaced the flushing toilet with a compost toilet, which is another easy to do mod option.  Converting an existing TaB to a Cassette toilet would be a major task, as the black tank would need to be removed, which would be a major mod to the washroom, as the shower pan goes up over the black tank.

nuCam would have to do a redesign of the TaB400, to change it over to a cassette toilet setup.  This would require having new shower pans made, and the toilet area redesigned to accommodate the cassette out the side.  Given that the toilet sits at an angle, not sure how to fit the cassette toilet into the limited area, without redesigning the entire washroom.  In the 320, the toilet sits fore and aft, so adding the cassette was easier to do.

I think eventually, as more people join the RV family, the US and Canada will have to follow the EU lead, and start switching over to a Cassette Toilet system, replacing black water dump stations with cassette dump stations, as they have in Europe.  But, this is going to take a social attitude change, or government policy change, here in this side of the pond to make it happen.
    Cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Rich1941 said:
    Saw nuCamp is considering the cassette toilet. It's mandatory for a long trip into the pandemic, avoiding public restrooms and nasty dumps. Also Dry camping at Walmart, on BLM land, in my driveway or on street for guests; then there's mooch-docking at a friend's home, on beach campgrounds and parks without dumps where you can empty in a portable outhouse. Cassettes also have their own water so you don't waste scarce freshwater. Overland you could dig a trench and dump cassette. I'd pay extra for it. I'll be on long tours in CA and its necessary to keep me legal and a good citizen. Note: gas stations are closing their restrooms and fast foods are drive-through only and don't open their bathrooms. You eliminate the black tank and plumbing and gain space for something LIKE ADD A BIGGER FRESH WATER TANK. 22 GALLONS IS PATHETIC FOR BOONDOCKING. YOU HAVE 33 IN YOUR CIRRUS TRUCK CAMPER. Greywater tank plumbing becomes simpler and could have a hose bib to run a hose away from the trailer or fill a bucket to dump away from the trailer or recycle as supply water for the cassette toilette. It's an opportunity to really make the T@B 400 safer, more healthy, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly. Take it to the next level of Boondocking.
    Rich, it is included in the 2021 T@b 320.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014