Custom Ordering a 400

There don’t seem to be any 2021 Tab 400’s available around me and I’m considering special ordering one. I have a couple questions:

1. Can I custom order direct from NüCamp?
2. Is there a difference between custom order and special order?
3. How long does a “made to order” generally take?
4. Is it more expensive to order?

Thanks 😊
2021 T@B 400 Boondock White/White; TV: 2020 Honda Ridgeline 
2015 T@B Sofitel Silver/Silver;  TV: 2011 Honda Pilot
Maryland's Eastern Shore - Ravens, Crabs, Bohs & O's!

Traveling with Violet Bean, most of the time...

Comments

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    1, no
    2, no other you get exactly what you want
    3, with the shutdown who knows, but likely 8+ weeks
    4, you negotiate a price just like one on lot

I ordered and took delivery about a year ago
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • VictoriaPVictoriaP Member Posts: 1,489
    Nucamp used to allow for a lot more actual customization, but nowadays, they allow very little. You’ll have to go through a dealer as they don’t sell direct to the public, and the dealer will have a list of options for you to pick from.
    2019 320s BD Lite, white with blue (“Haven”)
    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r (unsafe 200lb tongue weight limit until 2020 models)
    2020 Subaru Outback XT
    Pacific NW
  • kellywkellyw Member Posts: 56
    Thank you @N7SHG_Ham and @VictoriaP. I do have 2 dealers I can work with. Good to know I can still negotiate. 

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @kellyw, if there is anything that you want changed from what nuCamp currently offers As a standard (maybe you want a Fantastic Fan in the bathroom as an example), the dealer should confirm nuCamp’s ability to provide the alteration.  Then, after your trailer comes off the line, it moves over to another department to have the “after market” changes made.  Make sense?
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
    @Sharon_is_SAM - yes it does make sense. I was actually thinking of getting the 12-14 speed fantastic fan in galley and having them put the 3 speed in the bathroom. Austin and co have done work on my 320s and they always do such a nice job. 

• berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    We ordered a 2021 400 just a few months ago.  First negotiate the price of the trailer you want with the dealer and seal that deal with a build sheet.  Such as boondock with large or small fridge etc.  I contacted 3 dealers and negotiated them against each other for the best price I could get.   I was able to get them down about 30% off MSRP with some hard negotiations.  They are expensive trailers for the dealer but do have a high mark up.  Then your salesman should give you the contact information for Austin at NuCamp for any other "upgrades" you want.  The dealer may be confused on this process but just have them talk to their NuCamp Rep if there is any confusion.  Once you are in contact with Austin it'll go smooth.  When your trailer comes off the production line it'll then go to Austin and you'll work directly with him to include a separate invoice for the upgrades.  You won't pay the dealer for those upgrades.  In our case we had him add a solar plug, victron bmv-712 battery monitor and a MaxxAir fan in place of the fantastic fan.  Austin just needs the VIN of your trailer before production is finished and the upgrades you want completed.  With that info he'll tag your trailer to come to him prior to being shipped to the dealer. 
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
    @bergger Oh that’s perfect! Thank you for the ‘how to’ guide. Very helpful. 😊

• davegctdavegct Member Posts: 18
    bergger said:
    We ordered a 2021 400 just a few months ago.  First negotiate the price of the trailer you want with the dealer and seal that deal with a build sheet.  Such as boondock with large or small fridge etc.  I contacted 3 dealers and negotiated them against each other for the best price I could get.   I was able to get them down about 30% off MSRP with some hard negotiations.  They are expensive trailers for the dealer but do have a high mark up.  Then your salesman should give you the contact information for Austin at NuCamp for any other "upgrades" you want.  The dealer may be confused on this process but just have them talk to their NuCamp Rep if there is any confusion.  Once you are in contact with Austin it'll go smooth.  When your trailer comes off the production line it'll then go to Austin and you'll work directly with him to include a separate invoice for the upgrades.  You won't pay the dealer for those upgrades.  In our case we had him add a solar plug, victron bmv-712 battery monitor and a MaxxAir fan in place of the fantastic fan.  Austin just needs the VIN of your trailer before production is finished and the upgrades you want completed.  With that info he'll tag your trailer to come to him prior to being shipped to the dealer. 
    Does this mean for instance that you have to pay for items that will be replaced after build (e.g. replacing a Fantastic fan with a Maxxair in living area)?  i was assuming/hoping they would provide some credit for item(s) not needed.
    When I had upgrades completed one of them was replacing the fantastic fan with the Maxxair fan.   I did not ask specifically about credits or if the fantastic fan was also going to be included.  However I checked later and the price I was charged for the Maxxair was about $100 less than prices I was seeing online at the time.  So it appeared there was a discount for having the replacement done.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • GovernorGovernor Member Posts: 6
    Bergger, so this week when my dealer charged me $600 for a maxxair upfit how much exactly did i get hosed?
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    The fan is around $330 or so. So looks like around $270 labor or so. Depending on shop rates maybe three to four hours labor, seems reasonable, probably $25 or so shop supplies.

I wouldn't call $600 hosed.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
    Prices on things do change but NuCamp did not charge me that much a few months back when they did the work on our trailer.  $267 for the fan and $179 for labor.  Dealers will most likely always charge more,  their labor rates are very high, plus I assume you do have the orginal fan where as I do not.  So I agree the price you were charged was not unreasonable.  
    Leadville Colorado
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    edited May 2020
    Also, it takes more labor to remove the old fan, clean the roof of old caulking, before you get to the point of installing the new fan, so labor sounds about right, and you get a warranty on the new fan and installation.  Factory job just involved installing the new upgraded fan.  A remodel always costs more.

Run some water on the roof to check for any leaks around the fan roof seal.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    Well I’ve decided to custom order my 2021. And I just realized that the solo model actually comes with a larger 12v fridge. The bed situation I think would work as it converts to a bigger bed but if it’s just me and the pup would be a bit more room to navigate. So many options. Dealer did say it would probably be August before it arrived but that’s fine with me. One last horaah season in the 320. 😊

Congratulations Kelly, do keep us posted on the new Solo.  When we were looking to buying new, this was a model we seriously considered.
    cheers
    Dealer called today and they have my 2021 400 BD on the dealer’s lot now. 😁 I’ll be picking it up on Saturday in Perkasie, PA. It’s about 3 hours from me. Anything I should know about picking up from dealer? I bought my 320 used from a private party so I’m not really sure what to expect/ask about. Any guidance is appreciated. 

edited August 2020
      Congratulations.  Ask for a complete walk through, check and test all the systems, ask lots of questions about anything you do not understand, take lots of notes or shoot a video you can refer back to.  Make sure you get the nüCamp welcome kit, manuals etc.  By check out, I mean put water in the tank, test the pump, turn on the Alde, heat the water for 30min after getting the Alde water tank full and air is purged from the water lines.  Also test the gas stove and Alde on gas (fastest way to get hot water).  Test the AC, make sure it is working correctly, have the dealer show you how to clean the CoolCat filter.  

Check all the drawers, doors, shower, toilet, etc.  Go over the Nautilus system operation, and how to use the pump to siphon water into the tank.  Alde bypass switch operation, test the low point drains.  Test the outdoor shower.

Look in all the lockers, and under the bed.  If it has factory solar, bring your phone with the Victron app loaded, and log your phone app on the Solar controller (MPPT, find out where it is hiding behind the drawer under the hanging locker) and make sure the solar is working.  

You do not want to get home only to find something is not working correctly.
    Also before you leave, make sure your TV hitch ball is about 20” from the ground when TV is level.  
    Did I mention to ask Lots of questions?
    Cheers
    Thanks @Denny16! That is super helpful! 😁 Downloding the Victron app now.