Anybody tow with a diesel Grand Cherokee?

MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
I'm thinking of getting a few year old Diesel Grand Cherokee. I'm wondering if going with this diesel is worth looking for this relatively scarce version for increased torque for mountains and does the better gas mileage justify the higher fuel cost? I'd be moving up from my 4L 2001 Cherokee which is getting long in the tooth. It tows the 320 okay but it's got to be replaced. Yes, I'd prefer the Gladiator except I don't need the bed and it's too long. This group seems to like the gas version of the GC but haven't seen anything on the diesel varient.
Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
managed by VE Smart Network

Comments

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Don't know the Jeep diesels, a lot of folks think the diesel is great but recently it has been pointed out that actually in some of the big 3 truck diesels actually have less horsepower than the normal engine.  The cost to maintain a diesel can be much more and several other issues associated with them.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • CbusguyCbusguy Member Posts: 771
    edited May 2020
    Looking at replacing my trusty Colorado in the next year.....in the same boat with diesels

Cons
    Higher vehicle cost
    Higher fuel cost
    Def fluid cost
    Higher maintenance cost
    Def/emissions issues 
    Availability of maintenance and repair parts

Pros
    More torque for towing
    Better fuel economy

I would really like to have the Silverado with the 3 liter diesel it gets 30 miles to the gallon unladen verified by Fast Lane Trucks.

Was looking at the 2.8 liter Diesel Colorado but they sold the production plant in Thailand.   Make me believe that engine has an uncertain future with GM.

Falling victim to  bad/old def fluid is a big concern and it could result in a stranding.   Currently leaning towards a gasser. But that is subject to change too

2009 GMC Canyon,   3.7 liter 
    2020 320s Boondock lite, With Lots of mods
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    Yes the old polluting diesels were very long lasting (less parts) but I"ve heard the endurance aspect has been reduced with the addition of the anti-pollution devices. But it's not Horsepower as much as the much better torque curve.  This should improve towing speeds on grades. Why I was asking of experience w/ the GC also for maintance issues after all it is a Jeep - rugged not reliable.
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    It’s not about horsepower it’s about torque as @MarkAl mentioned.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    ditto @MarkAl and ditto @Dalehelman
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I previously owned and towed with the  Jeep GC ecodiesel. It pulled great! Plenty of torque to get up & go, and enough horse power to keep you there. Fully loaded, I got ~20 mpg, unloaded, ~30 mpg(hwy of course). I put a lot of miles on it(90,000) and I bought it with 60,000. Yes, fuel is more expensive, def is cheap, repairs can be pricy. It NEVER left me stranded.

i traded it in for my Colorado Dura Max. I get similar MPG with the dura Max.  Both engines(Jeep 6 cyl & Chevy 4 cyl) are derivatives of Diesel engines designed and manufactured   By VM Motori, an Italian Diesel engine manufacturer.

yes, I am a fan of diesels, I think that the towing capabilities far out weigh any perceived “cons.” When towing, I want to have the ability to get up to Hwy speed and stay there, with out having the engine(any) rev up to 7000rpm and sound like it’s ready to kick a rod through the block. My 2 pennies....
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 455
    Thanks, these are the gems I'm looking for.  Now for the horror stories of "I'll never buy another <insert diesel or jeep> :) Sadly there are always lemons, just need to keep the probability of getting one low. 
  • N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    edited May 2020
    I am a diesel fan, but I would research thoughly some of these newer diesel engines before jumping in.

Lots written about the ecodiesel, here is one link. I have followed the Dodge, Ram, Jeep news for years as I own an older Ram with an inline Cummins and I am over 300k on that truck. The lower end failures on the ecodiesel while not widespread, happen enough to worry me. I really like inline diesels, v configuration not so much. There has been no v diesels in large trucks for decades, likely for a reason.

https://www.dieselhub.com/halfton/ecodiesel.html
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I tow with the v6 GC and it tows the 320 like a dream.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• webers3webers3 Member Posts: 402
    And V6 Cherokee does just fine with 320. 
    2017 T@B 320S   2019 Jeep Cherokee - Southern Connecticut
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    I use the Jeep V6 in a Gladiator to two our TaB400, os a 320 should be no issue at all.
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.