What's Your Favorite Gas Grill?

ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
edited May 2020 in Products and Accessories
So I see the Weber Q gets a lot of love from campers.
Any other popular grills being used by the T@B crowd?
The Coleman Roadtrip seems to get good Amazon reviews (for what that's worth)...Anyone using it? 
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BLFRT4H/ref=emc_b_5_t
After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
2023 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E with Redarc Trailer Brake Controller

Comments

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    We use the Fold and Go.  It is fine for occasional use, but not easy to clean.  But, very compact.  We started with the Weber Q, transported in a large Rubbermaid tote - good grill, but takes up a lot of space.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • BaylissBayliss Member Posts: 1,299
    @ChrisFix, I have the Coleman Roadtrip LXX Grill and it has worked well.
    2019 T@B 320 S Boondock Lite2007 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    (Alde: 3020; Refrig: Isotherm Cruise 65 Eleg; Battery: BB 100Ah LiFePo4; Solar: Renogy 100Ah Suitcase; Victron BMV-712; Pwr Cntr: PD-4135KW2B; EMS: PI-HW30C)
    Greg & Marlene (Tucson, AZ)

• ontheroadontheroad Member Posts: 485
    we have an inherited Coleman that I love..we wish that it was a bit smaller..but it has a terrific grill size

Former 2017 T@G Max XL
    2021 T@B Boondock CS-S
    2018 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ontario, Canada
  • TNOutbackTNOutback Member Posts: 633
    edited May 2020
    We carried a Weber Go Anywhere gas grill for years; it was very compact, but had enough surface area to cook for 2-4 people.  When the gas plumbing finally died after 10 years, we decided to replace it with the charcoal version.  Great little compact grill.  The charcoal version has enough room in it to store a folding charcoal chimney.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I have the Coleman single Fold and Go on the 400 and I love it. My other Coleman quit having an adjustable flame and the Fold and Go is wonderful. 

I am using a Coleman Roadmaster 285 with three burners at home. (The price of the typical home grill went up and this one was less expensive.) Though heavier than a typical camping stove, it is on wheels and can be easily taken camping. If you typically grill a lot at a gathering, this will grill a lot of food.  
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ChrisFixChrisFix Member Posts: 724
    Thanks for your input everyone!
    I do need to decide between compact like the single Coleman Fold N Go and larger but very capable grills like the Weber Q and Coleman Roadtrip. We do cook almost all our meals, so I'm leaning towards the Weber Q1200 or Roadtrip 225 as the best compromise between size and capability for us...but truly undecided at this point.
    Thanks again for sharing your experiences, it's very helpful to hear.
    -Chris
    After two years of looking and considering...finally the proud owner of a 2021 T@B 400 Boondock!
  • GatorEggGatorEgg Member Posts: 449
    Weber gas here.  After many years of buying whatever big box has on sale each season I bought a Weber for our home.  It’s been 6 years and it’s still going strong.  We use it practically everyday.  So when it was time the T@bs grill, Weber was the choice.
    2022 TAB 400 Boondock, 2019 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    2018 TAB 320 Boondock (previous)
    Odessa, Fl.  

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    It's not a gas grill....but we prefer to use a small Weber charcoal kettle grill. They make a very small 14 inch kettle. We figure that if we are grilling we want to do it with charcoal. A small chimney starter and some newspaper gets the coals ready to cook on in literal minutes. Before seeing the light, we used a fold and go.
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @ChrisFix, we use the weber Q2000 (possibly 2200). It has a fairly accurate thermometer on the lid and the ability to bake in it makes it as adaptable and versatile as we needed. We had 2 growing boys with us for years. We raised our great nephews for almost 13 years. I cooked in bulk every second or third day and the boys loved it. We were out in the t@b for longer than most (6 weeks, 4 weeks and 4 weeks) for 3 summers and all the holiday long weekends. That's a lot of food, and the weber was flawless. When baking, it does use a lot of propane, so we just carried an extra tank. Necessary to feed eating machines!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • jebjamjebjam Member Posts: 43
    Check out the Cuisinart Petit Gourmet portable gas grill, CGG-180.  The Coleman products are popular but we chose this because it is lighter and less bulky (borrowed my son's Coleman Roadtrip and just felt it was more bulky and heavier than I wanted).  The Cuisinart is a great little grill with a top that sits high so closing with food on the grill works well.  The grill surface is smaller but perfect for 2 - 4 people.  Some reviewers complained the handle melted if they left the burner on high with the lid closed for long periods (why would you do that?).  At 19 lb and 23" x 18" x 10 " folded compared to the Coleman 225 at 35 lb and 29" x 18" x 14" folded it was just a better choice for us.  People also complained the Coleman latch didn't work well when transporting and my son complained the shelf would fall open as he was carrying it.  The Cuisinart latch seems to be fine.  The Coleman has 225 square inches for cooking compared to the Cuisinart's 145, so its not going to work for everyone.  Its about the size of a typical grill you see hanging on the outside of other campers.  There's a tote bag for $25 on Amazon that fits the grill, handy for transport and storage in your truck or camper.  We're happy with our choice so far, but it might be smaller than what you're after.
    https://www.cuisinart.com/shopping/outdoor-grilling/cgg-180/
    2021 T@B 320 CS-S Boondock / 2020 Ram 3.0 EcoDiesel
    Golden, CO
  • db_cooperdb_cooper Member Posts: 726
    We love our Weber Q, but never take it camping.  Even in a large tote, could never get over the smell in the SUV. If we carried it in a truck bed it would have been fine. Use a camp chef Mt. Rainier cookstove now with a griddle. Easier to clean and folds flat. Still grill on it, works fine.
    2015 Max S Outback | 2010 Xterra

Lots of ideas and great suggestions...thank you all!!
    And I think I've made up my mind and am going to get the Weber Q 1200.
    We cook a lot of our meals and I think/hope this grill, with options like the griddle, and the in-between large and small size and reputation for pretty even cooking will serve our purposes well. And we'll be carrying it in the bed of a pickup, so we shouldn't have issues with odors.
    I'm going to start off with out the stand, since I'll be carrying a folding table, and see how that works for us.
    Thank you all again for your helpful insights! 
  • berggerbergger Moderator Posts: 958
    We use a simple Char-broil gas hibachi grill.  Simple, very inexpensive, very compact, durable and light weight.   Can use it at the campsite or toss it in the truck for a day trip.  I also like how the legs fold over to secure the top.  You can even secure a 1lbs gas canister inside the grill with the regulator and a small grill brush.  I've cooked a few hundred pounds of meat on it over the years.  
    2021 T@b 400 BD  "Vixen Gail" 
    2018 Nissan Titan Pro 4X "Big Bird"
    Leadville Colorado
  • quickkarlquickkarl Member Posts: 6
    I have 2 ,one for the camper and one for the back yard. not quite as tall as the q.

@bergger
    That is a bargain (lists for $37 on Char-Broil's website. And it gives you 11K BTU stainless steel burner to boot! Good find!
    @quickkarl
    The Napoleon looks like a nice choice too. What do you see as its pros & cons compared to the similar seeming Weber Q?
  • CRETBOCRETBO Member Posts: 25
    Please everyone ... Get the travel Blackstone Grill ... OMG .... way easier and cleanup is so easy!!  You tube it ... great for breakfast as well as everything.  Game changer ... food so good.
    2005 T@B Dutchman
    2019 Tacoma
    @CRETBO
    I looked at those as well. They are very nice, but are really a griddle, not a grill (open flame). All depends on how and what you like to cook. So many good choices.
  • quickkarlquickkarl Member Posts: 6
    the napolean, packs down a lot smaller. and carries easy
  • DenisPDenisP Member Posts: 538
    We have had a Q1200 and it is a really nice grill. We store it in a large tote in the bed of our truck. Very pleased with its’ performance. We have the griddle insert which adds to the versatility. 
    2018 T@b 400, 200ah Lithium with Solar
    2013 Tundra TRD 5.7L
    Massachusetts
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    I don’t have this, but it looks really interesting.  I saw an article where it was on sale about 1/2 price maybe a month ago
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    I've never seen that one before - and it is an interesting setup. Particularly like the Wok!!
  • TampakayakerTampakayaker Member Posts: 554
    ChrisFix said:
    I've never seen that one before - and it is an interesting setup. Particularly like the Wok!!
    I showed it to my wife and got THE LOOK that we don't need another grill.

For camping, we have a little Weber Q that I picked up at GoodWill for $9 and a Coleman Road Trip, along with a Ninja Foodi Grill (electric).

That doesn't count the smoker, Big Easy, Weber full sized grill and the pizza oven all sitting in the screen room at home!
    2006 RAM 1500 4 door, 2016 T@B 320 MAX S 
    Tampa FL
    @Tampakayaker
    I have no idea what you mean about "THE LOOK"  ;)
    A Weber Q for $9 is a seriously good deal, even if it needed a new grate.
    I don't have your arsenal of grills, but one of my very favorites of all time is my Blackstone Pizza Oven...that thing is seriously excellent.
    https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Outdoor-Pizza-Oven-Cooking/dp/B00CELFJ4A
  • bellimagesbellimages Member Posts: 28
    I purchased a portable stainless steel 2-burner gas grill from Home Depot. It was $149 and weighs around 20 pounds. Grills very well. It's a little large, but I put it in the bed of my truck

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Monument-2-Burner-Portable-Tabletop-Propane-Gas-Grill-in-Stainless-13742/311737525
    2018 Tab 400
    Nissan Frontier PRO-4X (4.6 liter automatic)
    Roof mounted solar panels
  • ginsbujginsbuj Member Posts: 44
    The Blackstone has been so great. $75 at Walmart on sale and not only do we use it camping but bought the Blackstone foldable table to use at home. Can't believe how something as simple can be so useful. Blackstone's newest deal is a combo charcoal on one side and grill on the other with table. Target has it on sale this week for 219 but I've seen it on Amazon as little as 169. If you plan on doing any long term camping it is the only way to go. https://blackstoneproducts.com/collections/griddles/products/17-tabletop-griddle-with-stainless-steel-front-plate
    https://blackstoneproducts.com/collections/griddles/products/tailgater-combo-griddle-grill
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    I had a Roadmaster and replaced it with a very compact and lightweight Char-Broil propane grill ($20). I’m in the PNW and we have many burn bans each summer, so charcoal isn’t an option for me.  Search the Forum for “Baking with the Q“ for great ideas! Baking can be done with many propane grills. Actually I’ve got a separate Coleman folding oven that I really like. No matter what, you’ve got options! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited June 2020
    We use this for most of our cooking and grill with a cast iron grill over the burners. Works well with more than sufficient heat to cook anything.
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
    Here is what I decided to get.

I'm using the new-for-2021 external gas connection at the back of the T@B. Since this connection is after the T@B's pressure regulator, it is a 'low pressure' connection, meaning you can't connect it directly to a grill with its own regulator. 
    I removed the regulator from the Q 1200 (basically removing 4 screws and replacing regulator with a gas hose fitting), and connected to the T@B using this conversion hose:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZKKJQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great! 12' of hose means I can use the grill on either side, or behind the T@B, and no 1lb cylinders needed. I also picked up the 20lb to 1lb cylinder conversion hose, which allows you to directly connect a 20lb tank to the Q with the regulator installed...but I think I'll return that now that I know how well it works with the low pressure external connection on the T@B.