Options

2021 Glass Stove Top Interference fix?

I looked at a brand new 2021 T@B 320S Boondock version today on a dealer lot.  The glass stove top cover will raise but hits the right side window molding before being upright enough to lock into position.  The glass has the proper notch cut out of the near-right corner as well. Neither the dealership sales person or I could get it to work even knowing the correct way to lift it up and let it drop down.  It simply bumps into the window trim that sticks out. 

I noticed one other observation about this in the forums but no information about how it was fixed.  Has anyone had this corrected by NuCamp?  
2021 T@B 320S Boondock - 2018 Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    No specific information to share, However . . .

Perhaps the stove top is shifted slightly to passenger side of counter cut-out for stove.
    Might be possible to shift (and secure) toward driver side to allow glass corner notch to clear trim.

Ask 'sale person' to get a Service department guy to attempt adjusting.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    mntrailsmntrails Member Posts: 143
    Thanks for the suggestion - its a good one.  I watched a couple of the different 2021 320 S walk-through videos,  it looks like the right side of the glass lid overlaps the right window trim by approximately 3/4".  However using your idea, if the stove unit can be adjusted forward toward the front edge of the counter just a bit, it may get enough clearance to be vertical and lock in the upright position.  It's only missing by a small amount - I'd guess something like 1/8".  So either forward or right-to-left, hopefully the whole stove unit can be adjusted within the countertop cutout for the glass top to work properly. Thanks!
  • Options
    Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,431
    Or adjust the cutout some more if needed. 
    cheers 
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • Options
    NuCamp will be providing a new stove top and hinge assembly - parts are currently backordered 3-4 weeks. Apparently my stove came with the wrong lid. The second half of the fix is to move the stove assembly forward a small amount (if needed).  I plan to get the new lid and install it, then see if the move forward is required. 
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,595
    mntrails said:
    NuCamp will be providing a new stove top and hinge assembly . . .
    . . . my stove came with the wrong lid.
    If possible would be nice if you could provide pictures and dimensions of both lids;
    original incorrect sized and correct replacement for future owner reference. {once new lid has arrived}

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    SubieDooSubieDoo Member Posts: 18
    edited June 2020
    Same problem. Brought it to the attention of my dealer and they contacted NuCamp who said it was a design flaw from Dometic. Until the new cover arrives I have the choice of removing the cover or figuring out a short term fix to keep it open when using.  Currently, I have chosen to attach a small bit of velcro. It's not ideal, but seems to work OK. Interestingly, there was a tech walk-through video from Princess Craft that was pulled, probably because of this specific issue. The young man had a choice word to say when he couldn't get it to lock in place!  (Edited for photo size.)

2021 320S BD
    TV: 2021 BMW X5 Drive 40i
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    SubieDoo said:
    Same problem. Brought it to the attention of my dealer and they contacted NuCamp who said it was a design flaw from Dometic. Until the new cover arrives I have the choice of removing the cover or figuring out a short term fix to keep it open when using.  Currently, I have chosen to attach a small bit of velcro. It's not ideal, but seems to work OK. Interestingly, there was a tech walk-through video from Princess Craft that was pulled, probably because of this specific issue. The young man had a choice word to say when he couldn't get it to lock in place!
    Yes, that was a funny moment. Surprised they didn't edit it out.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    schoutschout Member Posts: 29
    Glad to know about this issue.  We're picking up a 2021 T@B 320S Boondock later this month and will look for this issue during the walk-through. 
    2021 T@B 320 S Boondock
    2020 Toyota Highlander
  • Options
    DharmaScoutDharmaScout Member Posts: 23
    For those who have trouble with cook top cover not staying up, just need to adjust hinges to move the top further back. No need to bring back to dealer and have them cut the countertop to make adjustment.

2021 320S / 2018 Jeep Cherokee w/tow package / Madison, WI
  • Options
    sptuckersptucker Member Posts: 42
    For those who have trouble with cook top cover not staying up, just need to adjust hinges to move the top further back. No need to bring back to dealer and have them cut the countertop to make adjustment.

I will try this.  I hope it is as simple as you indicate, although I’ve already had the dealer look at it (to no avail)...  Thanks for the tip!

2021 T@B 320S Boondock  |  2019 BMW X3 M40i
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 180
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Maiden voyage complete!.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I had mine installed and no cutting of the counter was required and I have no interference.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    I received the correct (replacement) lid yesterday.  It is definitely different than the one installed originally on my 2021 T@B 320.  I'll take pictures of both when I get them all in one place.  Just wanted people to be aware, there are at least 3 different cases yours could fall into:

1) wrong glass top which will never stay up,
    2) no glass top (since the correct one wasn't available at the time of shipment),
    3) correct glass top that stays up.

I've included 2 pictures below of the new and correct glass top hinges.  The first is the orientation that it would be in when closed, the second when it would be open.  Note the difference in the distance from the hinge mounting plate (with screws) to the glass edge.  When open and slid 'down', it is about 1/8" closer.  If yours doesn't have this ability to slide closer, then no amount of adjustment will help.  The hinges simply aren't the correct ones - that's my case.  I'm presuming the supply shortage is coming to an end since I received my parts.  While NuCamp originally suggested enlarging the hole in the countertop complete with instructions, I'm hoping no such enlargement is needed when one has the right top.  Will provide an update once I've completed the installation. 

• Options
    MarkAlMarkAl Member Posts: 459
    edited July 2020
    I just went out to my 320 and took some pics as I received the glass top in the mail a few days ago.  It fit perfectly with no adjustments needed my S/N is ...207
    A shot of the dimension from the wall and front edge:

Showing the lid up and the clearance to the window and side:

Oh yeah - DON'T drop the nuts or the little corner spacers on the counter / stove opening!
    Snohomish WA, 2015 Diesel Grand Cherokee
    Sm@ll World: 2021 320S Boondock, 6V Pb-acid
    Shunt, Roof & Remote solar & 30A DC-DC Chargers
    managed by VE Smart Network
  • Options
    Basil48192Basil48192 Member Posts: 261
    Thank you everyone.  I just picked up my new TAB 320S and I have the same issue.  The dealer said they ordered a new top for me.  However, after looking at it, I don't see how a new glass top will solve the problem entirely.  It appears that my hinges are not correct.  The 'upright' position appears to be approximately half-way open (at about a 45 degree angle)....coupled with the fact that it will not open fully because it hits the window trim.  Maybe I'm just not fully understanding the 'fix'.  Otherwise. love the camper so far!
  • Options
    My picture didn't show the back wall to stove, it is 4 3/4 inch and the side to wall is 4 1/2 inch.  Unless the top, the curve of the roof or the stoves are different I would think it would be good, we can't count on "magic" here. Need any more dimensions?

I've found NüCamp very helpful, call with your stove to wall dimensions (reference mine if you want) but they can run out to the production floor and check but I bet they know of other ways it could be wrong. I'm glad the first top worked for us I worried about the heat and the window without it..
  • Options
    Hello MarkAl.  Did they send you the entire stove top, or just new glass?
  • Options
    mrdeepfryguymrdeepfryguy Member Posts: 73
    @markal @Basil48192 I have the same stove Iid problem. nuCamp sent me the glass top with hinges attached. Camper is in offsite storage and I will attempt replacement on Friday. Will let you know how it goes.
    2021 320 S Boondock / 2018 Toyota 4Runner / NE Ohio
  • Options
    The glass comes with the hinges that have threaded studs, and they include the (small) nuts. You need to lift the stove and install the hinge / glass / nut. Be careful not to drop the nuts or the loose spacers in each corner of the stove. It's not particularly difficult.
  • Options
    Sounds like the worst part will be breaking the caulked seal between the stove top and counter.
  • Options
    Come to think of it, I don't think my stove was caulked... hmm not much water there so I may not go back in but good idea.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    @MarkAl (or anyone with a working lid!)  Would you mind posting pictures of both sides (top and bottom) of one of the properly working hinges while it is attached to the stove?  

• Options
    Here's the pictures:

As far as the swap goes, breaking the silicone seal was easy, removing the old silicone was the toughest part.  I padded the countertop well with old towels to avoid scratching anything - lots of sharp edges on the underside of the stovetop.  It now sits up vertical with 1/2" to spare.  I did not have to move the stovetop forward at all. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Thank you!  Got mine back from the dealer and the lid still won’t stay up :-(.   They cut the countertop and moved the stove forward.  Lid goes beyond vertical, and does drop down but doesn’t stay put.  Stove doesn’t sit flush anymore and they did a horrific caulking job.  So I’m not happy.  

My hinges appear to match yours but it’s still hard to tell. 

I have an email thread going with NuCamp warranty department, I hope they can help me fix it myself.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @sptucker I hope you include photos of the shoddy repair work performed.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    I haven’t yet but I certainly can...  so far I’ve only provided a verbal description of the shoddiness...

• Options
    When I lifted my stove I did NOT have any silicone seal! Hmm, any recommendation on the type of seal to use? From work my goto for this Dow's RTV 3145 but what's nüCamp's recommendation for these applications?
  • Options
    There's another post (somewhere) about having to adjust the hinge. I didn't change the hinge to glass tightness or dink with how the hinge was mounted to the stove itself. You might try loosening these screws and see if you can get the glass to lock open. On mine there is a definite pull (away from) within the hinges to release the lock. Can you feel a movement when you pull the glass away from the hinge? I may not be clear in what I mean.
  • Options
    @mntrails  my right hinge matches yours:

But my left one looks slightly different:

I do not see how the glass can be held upright by either one, so either I’m missing something obvious or these are just the wrong hinges, which seems like the right conclusion.

• Options
    MarkAl said:
    There's another post (somewhere) about having to adjust the hinge. I didn't change the hinge to glass tightness or dink with how the hinge was mounted to the stove itself. You might try loosening these screws and see if you can get the glass to lock open. On mine there is a definite pull (away from) within the hinges to release the lock. Can you feel a movement when you pull the glass away from the hinge? I may not be clear in what I mean.
    I tried adjusting the hinge where it connects to the glass.  Both sides have some movement within the hinge but no locking happens under any circumstances.  I will have to pull the stove to do any more fiddling with the hinges themselves but will have to cut all the caulking to do so.

As far as your other question about which caulk to use, their PAP for the stove shows DAP Kwik Seal being used.